Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at SIG options for CCW. I'm not interested in a duty pistol. Unfortunately, while SIG seems to do a great job for duty guns, I'm just not sure they're good for CCW.

The p238 and p232 look like the only viable options, really. A friend recommended the p239. But here's the thing. My Glock 19 is smaller in every dimension, weighs less, costs much less and (this is key) holds almost twice the ammo. I guess what I'm asking is who carries SIGs regularly and recommends them for CCW. Thanks.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Take a look at the P250, particularly the subcompact (which is only out in 9mm at the moment). I carry one, and it's a great gun for carry. :smile:

While holsters specifically for it are rare, it should fit pretty much any 239 holster, as the shape is the same on the slide, it just has a shorter grip.

·
Registered
204 Posts
really do you need 15 rounds?
in a SD situation 3 maybe 4.
come on man if you need 15 or more something has gone real bad.
if all hell brakes loss take ;your rifle.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Sig P245 is a very nice option as well. That 238 is TINY!!! It is however a .380 Many believe that caliber to be marginal for SD purposes. It is a very nice handgun though.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I CC my full size 220 everyday! And LOVE it!

·
Registered
797 Posts
I carry a P229 without any problems at all.

·
Premium Member
3,579 Posts
P250 it's way lighter then most of the other sigs. Totally underrated gun and it shoots great!

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
250, 225 (P6), 228, 245 are the ones I'd check out.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
P220, and P226. Been doing it since day one, although I just went wheelie, and its bigger and heavier then my sigs.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Polymer Sigs should be considered

A friend recommended the p239. But here's the thing. My Glock 19 is smaller in every dimension, weighs less, costs much less and (this is key) holds almost twice the ammo.
I have a P239 and a Glock 19 and you are right - the Glock is slightly smaller and lighter, but has greater ammo capacity (16 vs 9 in 9mm). If light weight and high ammo capacity are important to you, you would always pick a polymer double stack gun over a metal framed Sig. I believe that people who CCW metal frame Sigs are not deterred by the weight, and may view it as an advantage in fast, accurate shooting.

For a real apples to apples comparison, however, you should compare a polymer frame Sig to the Glock 19. If you look at the Sig models SP2022 or P250 compact in 9mm, you will find that they are roughly equivalent to the Glock 19 in size, weight and capacity. Here are photos of these two Sigs from the company website:

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have the P232, .380. It's easy to carry in IWB, and if I have too, it's small enough to stick in a front pocket with/without pocket holster. It only has a 7 round mag, but like others say, in most situations, you'll not need that many. If worried about penetration, there's plenty of topics discussing the 380 caliber, but with the right load, I feel safe with it. While I do not carry it all the time, I feel comfortable enough to carry it when the situation occurs that I can't carry one of my others.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
I routinely carry P220, P225, P226, and P228. I prefer to carry the biggest I can. Sometimes I can dress around the gun, other times I just have to pick what I can conceal. If I had to pick one, it would be the P228.

·
Super Moderator
13,231 Posts
I'm evaluating a Sig P250 full-size in .45 ACP currently. So far I like it a lot. For $375, I can order a grip, slide, and magazine to convert it to a 9mm, of any size I prefer. A top quality new gun for $375 and I can change calibers and size without going through a background check.

If this thing stacks up even with a Glock, I'm gonna have a new friend!!

I should add, it is only available in one of the best out of the box DAO triggers I've ever tried.

But, I'm not to the point of making an all out recommendation.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I carry a SIG P239 every day. Love it, no complaints at all.

The other gun I'm personally looking at is the P238. With modern defense ammo I feel that .380 would do the job.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
P228, the Holy Grail of 9mm. I also have a P232SL stoked with buffalo bore gold dots males a nice deeper concealment gun.

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
I regularly carry a P229/.40 or a P239/.40....either OWB or IWB, never a problem.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I had a nickel(?) P245 and it is a fairly large pistol compared to other 45 ACP's. I may have had a lemon but it almost always had a couple of FTF's, mostly the last round in a magazine, every time I took it to the range. I never felt comfortable using it as a carry gun for that reason plus it was heavier and larger than my G36 or a small 1911. Reliability is always my first requirement for any carry weapon and the P245 just didn't get there for me. I sold it to a bud for a very good price and told him why.

I might have truly had a lemon because I love the quality of most SIG's but this one turned me off to them in general. Just my experience though.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I own a few Sigs (220, 232, 229 and a P6) and out of the 4 for me the easiest one to CCW is the P232.

Because of size, weight and capacity considerations I have opted for a different brand for my EDC gun.

This is just my .02 and as always, YMMV.

Be Safe,

NosaM

1 - 20 of 47 Posts