Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyday carry is a beretta nano..but sometimes I want to carry my backup gun, a taurus 738tcp .380'
Where do you guys carry your back up?
I'm thinking off getting an ankle holster
Sent from my Torque

·
Registered
465 Posts
Ankle holsters are good for a backup backup. If you need to get to a gun in an ankle holster in a hurry,,,,, well, it's probably not going to happen.
(1) bend down
(2) pull up pant leg
(3) unsnap retention device
(4) draw gun
(5) assume firing position

If you are a "ground fighter", it may be a little more (or less) accessible.

I've got a cheapie that I've carried an LCP in a couple of times "just to see". It carries fine, but seems like it would be real slow to deploy.

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
When I used to carry a bug, I'd carry it on the weak side, either IWB or pocket-carry.

In addition to draw-backs that bugboy mentioned, try running with an ankle holster. It may even stay secure, but it's still feeling of pending disaster.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Ankle holsters look really gay with shorts...

I think I'd put the nano in my pocket and carry something a little bigger

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I sometimes carry a kahr pm45 but I really like how the nano is streamlines..nothing to snag on. Tucks nicely in the pants

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Best spot? Somewhere that can both complement primary carry and be an effective fall-back option. That includes accommodating the possibility of the strong-side not functioning effectively. So, for me, it would be either weak-side pocket/belt carry, or weak-side ankle carry. If not doing a BUG but instead doing some other defensive weapon, I think a similar weak-side option is important.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
To me the Nano IS a backup gun. :redface:

I only ever carried a BUG once, yesterday. I wanted to try it just for giggles so I put my Glock 23 where it always rides (IWB at 4pm) and the snub revolver went cross draw at 10ish. Pretty practical I guess, but to me, a BUG is not needed in civilian life. A spare mag or speed strip is my "backup".

·
Premium Member
13,765 Posts
Weakside IWB about 3:00 or 2:30 butt forward (for revolvers) so I can draw it with either hand

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To me the Nano IS a backup gun. :redface:

I only ever carried a BUG once, yesterday. I wanted to try it just for giggles so I put my Glock 23 where it always rides (IWB at 4pm) and the snub revolver went cross draw at 10ish. Pretty practical I guess, but to me, a BUG is not needed in civilian life. A spare mag or speed strip is my "backup".
In hell hole philly, I feel more comfortable with a back up gun

Sent from my Torque

·
Registered
10,958 Posts
Weak side pocket, especially if you carry your primary on the belt. Big advantage to carry in the pocket is that you can casually have a firing grip on the gun, without escalating things. Very nice option to have, IMHO.

And to you smart alecs who say the Nano is already a back-up gun...get over it. Your big blaster is a back-up to the long gun you will wish you had. Stop raining on the OPs parade. :wink:

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
And to you smart alecs who say the Nano is already a back-up gun...get over it. Your big blaster is a back-up to the long gun you will wish you had. Stop raining on the OPs parade. :wink:
I do carry a Nano as a backup though, to my IPAD!

·
Registered
6,430 Posts
When I carry a BUG it is weak side pocket; either trouser or if wearing heavy cover garments in the outermost offside pocket. J Frame is king for me as a BUG.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
If I carried my LCR as a BUG I'd put it on the weak side, butt forward. Lets me cross-draw, or draw with my off hand if my strong hand is unavailable.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't wear very loose fitting clothing (corporate job) so that kinda limits my options for bug locations.

Sent from my Torque

1 - 20 of 33 Posts