Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a tactical shotgun for HD and fun at the range, but I know very little when it comes to brand quality. I assume certain brands like Beretta , FN, Benelli must be of high quality but the are costly and have low capacity. What about the domesic brands like Remington, Mossberg, etc? I would like it with a pistol grip, etc. the Mossberg 930 is a good example. What's the best tactical shotgun for the price? best value and quality? Also, is semi-auto preferable or worth it?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Semi- auto is up to you. Personally, I would have to say Mossberg 500, in .410, 18.5"bbl. Load it with some 00 buck, or heavy bird (if you're in an apartment/worried about over penetration- even if you have neighbors across the street), and be happy. You should be able to pick one up for less than $350, and ammo is fairly inexpensive.

Also, it's something really easy to handle recoil, not likely to blind/deafen you if you have to use it in a small room/hallway. Also, it's easy to teach the wife/girlfriend how to shoot, AND it would make a good 'starter' gun for the kids due to it's ease of use.

...perfect all around...

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
IMO....the best is the one you don't have. Semi auto? Save that for the movies....get a pump and use it well.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I went for the Mossberg 500 Home Defense in 12 ga. It comes with a pistol grip and stock so you can change it out yourself. It has an 18-1/2" barrel and a shielded barrel. It takes 3" shells and goes for under $300 bucks in parkerized finish.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Personally I never liked a pump action. Just one more thing to think about and it takes you off target every time you pump it. I prefer point and shoot and the reliability of something like a Mossberg 930 is excellent. (I prefer it without the pistol grip) and the safety is right where it should be. The recoil is less also with the semi-auto making it much easier to keep on target.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Visit the best tactical schools in the country & you'll find the vast majority of students & instructors still shooting pumps. Among the pumps, predominately the Mossy 500 series & the Remington 870. Also note most of 'em DON'T have pistol grips. You can go ANY way you'd like, but I put substantial weight in the equipment used by guys who...do this for a living.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Mossberg 930 SPX. Magnificent gun.

Reactions: Sig35seven

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I have a Benelli m4 and would probably choose an 870 for home defense if I didn't prefer ARs.

Reactions: Jaeger

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I have the Remington 870. As a matter of fact, I have 3. Here is the one I use for home defense.

I have shot the mossberg 500. Nice gun also, I just prefer the 870's
I paid $329.00 for it new.

·
Administrator
144,928 Posts
I really like my older bare-bones basic, no frills Ithaca Model 37 w/ the Deerslayer RIOT/Police barrel but, these days I'd probably opt for a Mossberg if I had to buy one tomorrow.

Reactions: AzQkr

·
Registered
135 Posts
If you want a pistol grip get a Remington; Mossberg controls are designed for a standard stock and are more difficult to reach with a pistol grip stock. A pump is fine if you are on a budget, you work the pump during recoil, so it doesn't really slow you down (plus pumps are less finicky about ammo). If you are on a budget take into account any accessories you plan on getting; such as a weapon mounted light (a necessity for a HD gun, IMHO).

·
Registered
16,008 Posts
remington 870 is the way to go. you can find good used ones and build it to your likeing.
You can find used 870's for a song.... My last one was $139 because the blue was worn off and the wood was beat up. I have less than $200 into it, it was built in the 1960's and those things last forever. Stay away from pistol grips, they are for the movies.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I use a Mossy 500. It had a pistol grip, which I swapped out for a 12" LOP (length of pull) stock. The 12" LOP is basically a kids stock, which makes the overall length of the gun a little shorter, easier to maneuver around the house with.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Just curious,What makes a shotgun "Tactical"?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I agree with most people in this thread. A good pump or a reliable semi with a shorter barrel and high cap tube and a fixed stock is the way to go.

However, a couple of weeks ago, I had the opportunity to shoot a 12 gauge pistol grip remington (over the top folding stock - but didn't use it). It was accurate, didn't have the muzzle flip that I hear everyone freaking out about, had very manageable recoil, and could be fired extremely quickly from the hip. It was a blast. One person I was with even shot a clay pigeon with it from the hip. Although, I would rather have a stock for defense, I wouldn't shy away from a pistol grip while indoors. They aren't nearly as tough to manage as people make them out to be.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts