Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So looking at all the panic and Nov coming up fast lets look back at the olden days and ask what time frame do you think was the best time to be a gun guy ? In terms of cool stuff out there , ease of getting it etc

My vote would either be

pre 1968 ..Down side not many states allowed CCW ..But upside was DD like 20mm etc were not NFA , guns could be shipped to your door .You could still legally import full auto or full auto ready guns like the HKG3,HK41 the FAL etc . And no import bans on small pocket guns etc etc

Second places would be post 68 but pre 1986 or 1989 ..Sure no more mail order guns and the pocket gun market sucked but this was the start of the wonder nine years and the golden years of tactial guns were good AK were 200 bucks .. And if we are talking pre 1986 you could buy a full auto M16 for a 100-200 bucks more then a semi auto gun ..

So what do you all think ..Best time to be into guns

In some way at least as far as CCW is we are in good shape now verus 20 years ago but for the rest of stuff like the import ammo and gun market far less ok

·
Super Moderator
18,415 Posts
I'm goin' with pre-'68 too.

I like less restriction and regulation.

Honestly, I admire the kinds of guns that would have been available in those days of yore more than I do the wealth of choices available today. No one else will feel that way and that's ok.

·
Super Moderator
16,771 Posts
I will go pre 1968 also, even when I was 15 I could walk into a hardware store and purchase any ammo I could afford.

Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I will take today.

There are so many more guns and gun owners today than back then...when I was a kid, in the late 60's, there were no gun guys...folks may have had a few guns, but they certainly did not shoot...except for hunting.

And, other than a few Bullseye matches scattered across the country, there was NO competitive shooting of any type or defensive firearms training. The gun game has moved light years ahead of where it was in the "good ole days"...despite talk to the contrary.

Also, and I guess I am fortunate, but in my state, gun regulations are no real problem.

The thought of it being cool to order guns through the mail...that was cool...but there were very few guns available, compared to the plethora of models that we have available to us, today.

In my opinion...we are living in the best time, ever, to be a gun owner.

Reactions: Chicagobill

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I'd have to say 1960 - 67 also. I recall seeing the "surplus" catalogs with all kinds of milsurps you could buy for ten to fifteen bucks and have delivered to your door.

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I mean sure the price we see in the old days when adjust for inflation were not that bad ..But esp post WW2 the surplus stuff was amazing ..I mean what Jonson rifles for 300 bucks ( they are now like 4k) weblys for 30-50 bucks Mausers all that for nothing ..Ariskas for nothing no on really wanting them ..

Sure it was very much fuddy stuff but in 1965 you could buy a COLT SP1 556 rifle or a FAL from Canda or a G3 etc ...Pretty cool

But yeah not as much gun matchs etc

But then again you could buy a handgun in pretty much any state you wanted to and keep a rifle in your rear window in most places

that and really some cool stuff back then ..Gyro jets the Dedrick etc etc

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
Not being old enough to know for sure I would think pre 1934...

Reactions: OD* and bmcgilvray

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not being old enough to know for sure I would think pre 1934...
I though about that ..Pre 1934 would be great in the sense you had any NFA gun you wanted over the counter silencers for 1 bucks FA guns etc ..Down side was no one had the money to get the stuff other then maybe the cheep silencers and of course sawing off there rifles or shotguns which happen a lot

For us today yes I think pre 1934 would be the golden time to be into guns you could have any weapon you wanted ..But then again firearm esp auto or full auto guns were in there starting line .

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
In 1968 I bought my first firearm...a Marlin 22 rifle. I still have it. When I bought it I was 14 yrs old.
A few months later I went back to the same store to buy some 22 ammo and was no longer able to purchase ammo.
The Gun Control Act of 1968 had passed without me even knowing it was in play. The store where I bought it had two big wooden barrels filled with military surplus rifles...Enfields, Springfield 1903's, stuff like that, and they were $19.95...just pick one from the barrels. Three days ago I saw a Springfield 1903 at Cabelas in the Gun Library tagged at $1495. lol

I guess pre 68 were pretty good years. Things were built "Ford Tough". prices were reflective of the times though. No one I knew made much money back then. But if you offered me a brand spanking new Smith J frame or a 60's J frame I'd take the old one.

·
Banned
3,343 Posts
You could walk into a Sears store and buy a .22 LR single shot for about $15. No serial number, no questions...or so I've heard.

Up until the late 70s, you could go to a local store and buy any handgun you wanted if you had the money. No paperwork. Couldn't carry with a permit but nobody would check you. Almost everyone had a .25 Saturday Night Special throw-away gun among the 'Necks.

But best time? Really I'd say now, or the last 5 years, here. Easy to get a permit, good quality firearms, just about anything you want, sure not cheap, but the value per dollar is great. You couldn't buy anything like an AR or a Bullpup back in the day, AFAIK.

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Forgot that pre 68 there was no serial numbering etc no ammo control no age limits on guns etc

Frankly I would have been happy back then in the 60s or early 70s

I mean thing about what you could buy :

1. Open bolt guns
2. Org and the best HKG3 and FAL rifles
3. Classic SP1 rifles

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
The late 80's into the late 90's/early 00's was a second golden age for mil-surp- unissued No. 4, Mk II Lee-Enfield still in their wax paper wrapping, as new M44 Mosin-Nagant Carbines, Yugo/Russian SKS's, gently used M96 Swedes & Schmidt-Rubins.

·
Registered
898 Posts
You could walk into a Sears store and buy a .22 LR single shot for about $15. No serial number, no questions...or so I've heard.

Up until the late 70s, you could go to a local store and buy any handgun you wanted if you had the money. No paperwork. Couldn't carry with a permit but nobody would check you. Almost everyone had a .25 Saturday Night Special throw-away gun among the 'Necks.

But best time? Really I'd say now, or the last 5 years, here. Easy to get a permit, good quality firearms, just about anything you want, sure not cheap, but the value per dollar is great. You couldn't buy anything like an AR or a Bullpup back in the day, AFAIK.
I have one of them in my safe. It was my mother's her dad got for her in the 1920's it was 22 bolt action single shot NO serial number right from Sear

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep would have been cool to be walk into a store and see barrels of M1 M1 carbins etc etc for nothing never mind the 80s with the spam cans of x39 ammo for nothing ..

One does wonder what kind of cool stuff we have now not for the 89 and china bans ..I mean Type 81 better models of the Type 86 bullpup and of course all them cool Sig sauer clones they make for nothing

·
Super Moderator
18,415 Posts
Here's where failing memories get the best of geezers. I remembered the 7.62X39 ammo in bulk for cheap as being a feature of the mid-1990s. I remember bringing lots of it out of the Dallas Market Hall gun show for my secretary's husband and for me as well. I bought a Russian SKS I didn't even want and the initial two 500 round cans of 7.62X39 cans and got back change for $200. I remember some news item of the day which had Bill Clinton saying that patriotic Americans wouldn't buy the Russian SKS's that followed hard on the heels of the Chinese SKS's on the market. Learned to think highly of the cartridge and the SKS rifle wasn't so bad as I had thought it was.

Now it sees use a time or two a year for fun plinking or when it's chosen for a ride around our old place on the lake. 3000 rounds or a bit more of ammo for it remain on hand. Mostly saving the rifle and ammo for a rainy day.

·
Super Moderator
18,415 Posts
I was going to say the same thing Dan and ya' beat me to it. I happen to think that the competitive shooting of that era provides for a more well-rounded and skillful shooter than the "action" type matches do.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I'm assuming you're referencing "action" type matches? Cause there was all kinds of competitive shooting across the country. :wink:
Yes, I was speaking about action type shooting.

But, opportunities were still very few as compared to today. As an example, and I understand that other areas were different, but in my area...until I was near 20yrs old...there was not a single sanctioned match within a 100 mile radius of my house. A few places tried to start them, but there were not enough shooters to make it worthwhile. Heck, other than police ranges, there were no ranges to hold a shoot. Most people just went to the dump to shoot...or just shoot on there land.

Right now, I know of 20 sanctioned matches within that same 100 mile radius.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts