Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A half empty glass of water got knocked over without by my dog and my MTAC holster was sitting in the little puddle for several hours before I got home today. The leather is pretty soaked, whats the best way to dry it out without causing damage?

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
I tend to think some good old air drying would do it...maybe put it in a bag with some dessicant. That being said I am sure soem ppl will chime in with a much better way.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rog-O, Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I would place my gun into a Walmart bag and holster into the wet leather. Place in front of a fan until dry. The air will dry the leather but not shrink because the gun is keeping the mold. After mostly dry, remove the gun and allow the empty holster to finish drying in front of the fan. Just a few hours in front of the fan should do it. YMMV.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Well when I wet mold my holsters I put the gun in to make sure that the mold is good then pull it and let the holster air dry. Usually I let it go for 24 hours or so, a good basic test of when it's dry is when it's no longer cool to the touch. Good luck.

Luke

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
Air dry, but don't put your gun into it until is is completely dry.:hand10:

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Its an MTAC....the body is kydex, just wipe it off with a rag. The leather back will not contact the gun, air dry should work.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Best way is to let it air dry but away from heaters that would over dry it, if that makes sense. If your city is humid then it could take awhile. I would put it somewhere where the sun can hit it. It's winter so the sun shouldn't be to harsh in the leather. It is just animal skin so hopefully it will be ok.
To keep the shape, put the firearm in plastic bag and insert it into the holster until it's fairly dry.

This is good way to stretch out a holster too. Wet the leather slightly and put your gun inside a plastic bag, then fit it into the holster to resize it.

·
Registered
443 Posts
My comment was actually for a full leather holster I somehow forgot the MTAC was kydex in my mind I was thinking of something similar to HBE's or a Watch 6. Because the body is kydex I would just make sure it has that natural curve it did and airdry.

Luke

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Another vote for air dry but not sun dry!

·
Registered
649 Posts
If you need it in a hurry I would soak it in rubbing alcohol, it will displace most of the water and then place it in front of a fan, it should dry more quickly.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I get the idea of the alcohol but I wouldn't do it, I would be afraid it would change the PH of the leather and cause other issues. Air drying leaves the natural amount of moisture in the leather and brings it back to mostly normal.

Like I said in my first post, anyone who wet molds leather pretty much bones the detail then lets it air dry before final finishing and then off to the customer. I've heard of some guys using an oven for heat to dry, low temps like 100-150 but I still prefer natural air drying.

Luke

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would air dry it and then rub in some good leather oil to keep it from cracking. That is what I do with my saddles, saddle bags, and rifle scabbards. Remember not to use to much oil as it will make it too soft. Best way is to use your fingers as a rag will soak up to much oil.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Laser Sailor after it dries good get a can of Kiwi Shoe wax the Netural one and apply it with a piece of cotton Tee shirt material and let it dry a few minutes then with a clean lint free tee shirt buff it down, you can do the inside of the holster to it will not harm the gun finish, do this every now & then on all of your good leather holsters & they will last as good as new for many years. Do not ever use any oil such as mink oil, Neets foot oil, Or any type of base ball glove conditioner on any leather holster, for it will reuin it beyond repair, & as they will make the leather soft & they will change the color of the leather on your holster, please do as I have suggested above with the wax & you will not regret it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts