Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For whatever reason, your SA drops or you are distracted by some outside factor. A BG gets the drop on you and has a gun pointed at you. He's demanding wallet and jewelery from your GF/wife.

In the process of giving up your stuff, the BG sees that you have a concealed gun (printing, shirt un-tucked, inside jacket, whatever)

Now BG demands that you hand over the gun too. What do you do?

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Remove the gun and deliver lead at 1000fps, hollowpoints because I care enough to send the very best:yup:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Depends on how close he is & if he gets distracted as well :confused:
Will be interesting to see how others (especially trained) will respond....

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
hmmm... kind of a good situation to be carrying two guns, eh?

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
He's got the drop on me & my wife while I'm still holstered? He gets my primary (and while he's likewise distracted by whatever distracted me to begin with...I unload center-mass with my BUG).

·
Registered
371 Posts
I wouldnt trying pulling out my gun that the
BG has already seen and then think I could get a
shot off before he could since BG already has gun on
me and is going to be very quick to shoot me if I try something.
One more reason to carry a BUG

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Drop my gun in front of him. When he bends down to pick it up my wife will use her XD9 to send him to Hell. And she's an excellent shot..

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
will use her XD9 to send him to Hell
Just send him to Illinois, that's close enough:hand5:.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Drop my gun in front of him. When he bends down to pick it up my wife will use her XD9 to send him to Hell. And she's an excellent shot..
Good answer, that's mine also. Except for the XD9 part.

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
To be more specific, you have to play each situation as you see it. There are always going to be little nuances to a real life situation which can't be laid out in a given scenario on a gun forum.

With that said... I have done some training in offering "feigned compliance." By that I mean, I act like I am going to hand over wallet or whatever else is asked for... but because I'm playing like such a sheep and am so scared, freaked out and nervous, that I will "accidentally, on purpose" let the item slip out of my hand and drop it in front of him.

I want him to believe I dropped it accidentally because I was nervous and not get the impression I dropped it just to piss him off. This in and of itself is going to be a distraction to the BG. During that distraction is when you draw and fire.

Now, Yes, you are going to be nervous and scared in real life! No doubt about it... And what I'm intending to do takes guts to do it.

However, the key to this is to drill and train on it constantly. You fight like you train, and in a crisis situation your brain will default to the level of training which has been ingrained.

To merely sit back and say to yourself how you plan on responding without training for that plan constantly is an invitation to disastrous results if you attempt to do it in a real life situation without prior training on it to the point where it is second nature.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Okay Bark'n, but I'm not gonna' practice dropping my primary. Because it could become so ingrained that I...drop my primary!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Man I love this web site.
I would pee my pants,
Because I didn't practic this senario
when BG laughs at me I Pop a cap

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I don't carry my police ID in my wallet. Good way to get myself executed. Consider carrying your weapons permit/license in something other than a wallet, or, carry more than one wallet.

I have some things to say about drawing against the drop, reaction times, force-on-force training, and such, but don't have time right now to get into it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I carry my wallet/clip in my front right pocket and carry at 4:00. It is likely when going for my wallet I would reveal my firearm. Possible I guess, though unlikely.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Granted this is a BAD situation. However the good news here is that BG has given you two opportunities.
Opportunity #1, while complying with the wallet request, (wallet is always weak side back pocket) make a big show of pulling the wallet out with weak hand and use that show to hide the fact that I'm drawing with my strong hand.
Opportunity#2, onec he sees my gun, I'm going to make a big show of complying on his "give me your gun" request, draw slowly as if to hand it to him, and then BLAM and move, trusting the OODA loop to give me enough time to pull it off.

·
Registered
371 Posts
If dropping your main gun on the ground
and then pulling out a BUG wasnt an option
maybe a Krav Maga pistol takedown would
do the trick if close enough to the BG

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
For whatever reason, your SA drops or you are distracted by some outside factor. A BG gets the drop on you and has a gun pointed at you. He's demanding wallet and jewelery from your GF/wife.

In the process of giving up your stuff, the BG sees that you have a concealed gun (printing, shirt un-tucked, inside jacket, whatever)

Now BG demands that you hand over the gun too. What do you do?
Step 1...move very slowly to get your gun
Step 2...get gun from holster slowly
Step 3...once gun is out of holster, hit mag release and let mag hit floor
Step 4...watch BG's head, eyes, and muzzle point to the floor where magazine hit (you'll have to be watching the BG's reactions very closely)
Step 5...while BG's attention (and muzzle) is pointed away from you, make your best move, and keep that muzzle going toward the ground. You've only got a split second here, so make it count.
Then a knee to BG's groin, a strike to the temple, Adam's apple, poke BG's eyes out, etc....(get the idea you're going to survive this and play to win).
I left out some alternatives and additions to some of steps that wouldn't be in good taste for posting here. You can use your imagination as God gave you, and hopefully you'll be rather speedy at making decisions on your feet under duress. Granted...it's very difficult for us to deploy our best efforts for survival scenario that we might have thought out in advance when we are taken by storm. Human beings mainly do one of two things....solve problems in the here and now, or wager on the future. If you think your best chance of survival counts on handing over your gun with all ammunition intact, then so be it. Maybe you have enough insight to tell if the BG is intent on killing you. (why would BG ask for your weapon instead of taking you out on spot?) You'll only know for sure when and if the time comes, and even then you'll be betting on the future. I'm only posting my opinions here. When and if that time comes for me and I survive....I'll let you know how things went. It's not like what fish are biting on what lure for what day or what time. You are the best luck you have, and I hope you'll always make the right decisions.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts