Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to pocket carry a 642, but it's challenging when riding a bike. What's the best way? I would like to keep the weapon on my person. I usually carry a LCP in the pocket when riding, but it' still not comfortable.

·
Registered
260 Posts
When I ride, I throw the P3AT in the saddle bag, along with spare inner tube and tire tools and such. Good enough for me.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Camelbak Goblin. I just checked it out online today.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I carry my Walther PPK/S in the waist band all the time when riding and I find it comfortable and easy to reach. That said, I'm more of a shorts and T-shirt kind of bicyclist, not a spandex kind of guy.:redface:

JIm

·
Super Moderator
25,605 Posts
Do a :search: on "bicycle carry" and you'll find more info than I want to try and list in a message, including both road and mountain bikes.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I always thought left side OC would be best on a bike. I used to be a full blast roadie (~ 3k miles/year) and figure that OC might get some of the a-hole drivers to relax and share the road a little more.

·
Super Moderator
50,609 Posts
Small fanny pack, belly band, shoulder holster (with a light jacket), or IWB/SOB...OMO

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think attire would make all the differance. I would perfer a shoulder rig given its what i do when I ride my (motor) bike. Ankle holster would be a viable option, but like a handlebar bag would keep your weapon to far away from you to be effective when you needed it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I commute with a full size 1911 in a supertuck, so anything is possible.
Me too! However, I have options. (I bike primarily as a commuter.) When it's cold out (Minnesota, so lots of that) I carry in a shoulder holster under a hoodie and my jacket with both unzipped partially for easy access if necessary. But I usually just Supertuck my 1911 under a tee shirt with an extra measure of concealment provided by my messenger bag. If need be (like at work where it might be weird if they found out I carry), I'll dip into the restroom when I get where I'm going to put my gun in my messenger bag inside one of those old-style GI belt holsters (the kind with a flap that buttons down) to protect the trigger. It's cocked and locked, so it's an extra measure of security, but it makes me feel better because I usually have a bunch of stuff in my bag.

I guess though, as someone else pointed out, it would depend on your attire and style of riding. Are you a roadie? Commuter? How are you riding, usually? Also, if you are commuting, what is your situation when you get where you're going?

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
This reminds me I need to ride my bike more.

I use a retention holster OWB but covered with a long tee shirt. Works great for me. I think the retention holster is important to consider; if I crash I'd like my handgun to stay connected to me, I really wouldn't care for it to go sliding down the street somewhere.

·
Banned
1,059 Posts
This year, during my very first CCW bicycle ride, I carried my little Ruger LCP inside my fanny pack, attached behind my handle bars, with my radio and paperback book. One of the reasons that I took my CCW class was because of riding the local bikeways around Dayton, Ohio. Bikeways are full of soft suburbanite targets for predators.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Bike carry

I use the local bike trails near here for excersize.
I have a Colt Mustang in an IWB holster with bike shorts on. There is a long tee shirt over my bike spandex concealing the gun.
One part of the trail was along side some vacant property which had some wild dogs and vagrant living there. There was a mix of woods and open areas. The area was not patroled becasue of no roads back there. Before I carried, I had a knife, one which can be opened with one hand, in my bike shirt pocket. A wild dog came out of the woods, running at top speed, in front of my bike, I hit it and got knocked off the bike onto the ground. As I was getting up, it came after me. I did what I had to, and I reported it to the cops ,who took away the dog to examine it for rabies (it ws negative). Thats when I started to carry.......
Since then, the land was bought and developed into a medical/office plaza. However, I still carry.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts