Defensive Carry banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was heading out the door this morning at 7:45 to practice archery in our yard when I got a text from my hunting buddy, Jim, that he had just shot a monster buck up on the mountain. I immediately called him and told him I would be up as soon as possible to help him get it out.

I drove up the pass and got there by about 8:30. I saw his truck and he came out of the trees a few minutes later shaking his head. He had seen a couple of does feeding out in the field and got prone in the grass, figuring there might be a buck nearby. He got distracted for a minute by an elk bugling and when he turned back to look at the does there were two very nice bucks out feeding as well. He shot at a distance of about 175 yards with his muzzleloader and the buck ran off. We immediately began to search for the buck, starting at the blood trail which petered out quickly.

We searched for almost four hours before we had to stop so he could check in at work at 1:00 for a short time. We headed back up the mountain at 1:45 and each headed in different directions before meeting up a few minutes later. He had found the buck lying on the ground in a thicket, but could see its tail flick, so he backed off. We waited an hour and went back to where he found it and by then it had died. He had hit it in the liver and it took it a long time to die.

We dragged it out, gutted it, and took it down the hill and hung it in his garage where we will skin it out tonight.

Hunting Deer hunting Plant community Plant Military camouflage

The buck probably weighs in excess of 200 pounds and has a really nice rack. The hole visible in the photo is the exit wound. The buck was feeding downhill and the entrance was considerably higher on the other side.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Nice!!!! I see some nice steaks in your future!😄😎

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Premium Member
5,292 Posts
Well done.

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Premium Member