Defensive Carry banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting a 4" S&W 329PD for occasional CCW in the outdoors while camping, hiking etc. Anyone have experience with packing a large revolver IWB or holster recommendations.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I'm still looking for the right holster for my Taurus 444Multi (their version of the 329), but I've cannibalized a generic nylon holster out of the used bin at the local shop to test it out. It's manageable in the scheme of things - the cylinder size is going to take some work getting around and things like getitng in and out of cars was more problematic than those couple weeks I carried a .44 DE for the hell of it.

·
Registered
770 Posts
A couple of notes
The larger cylindered snubs are great carry's but the pressure put on you by the cylinder when carried IWB can be a bit much. Make sure you get a good holster that can help spread the weight out and be as thin as possible.....something with for and aft clips/loops would be the best. Nothing but 2 pcs of leather around the cylinder to help the thickness.
Just personally for camping and etc.......I may go for a pancake style holster.
I would keep it close to the body and out of the way of "SHRUBBERY", Monty Python thrown in, and be much more comfy.........
Just a thought............

·
Registered
835 Posts
Large Revolver

I bought a smartcarry rig from John Ross (Firearms trainer, author, all around good guy) at a shoot last weekend. He carries a 3" .500 S&W in a smartcarry, couldn't see a thing :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Eric Larsen said:
The larger cylindered snubs are great carry's but the pressure put on you by the cylinder when carried IWB can be a bit much.
Good point. Which is exactly why Milt Sparks sold me on their PMK holster. It's not an IWB, but hides like one. Wonderful!!

·
Registered
770 Posts
Actually I think its the other way around.......maybe anyway. Im a skinny little type guy......5'9" 165 lbs.....and carrying any wheel gun IWB just plain gets to you after a while. J frames/SP's etc, arent as bad but are still problematic after a while. I think the more dense/or solid you are the more pressure it puts on you.....so a skinny guy would fair worse than one with a little meat on them. I hope that makes sense.......mind you Im not built like I was in college but Im still slim.
Does that all make sense to you??????? Or am I smoking my lunch again....... :puzzled:

Shoot well.........

·
Premium Member
25,481 Posts
Folks know - IWB ain't for me - with anything.

I did tho for some while last year carry my 4" M28 very easily OWB. It was of course heavier but probably no worse than my 226 - and the small increase in bulk was no problem.

Can't somehow imagine IWB revo - tho I know some folks do it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Eric Larsen said:
Actually I think its the other way around.......maybe anyway. Im a skinny little type guy......5'9" 165 lbs.....and carrying any wheel gun IWB just plain gets to you after a while. J frames/SP's etc, arent as bad but are still problematic after a while. I think the more dense/or solid you are the more pressure it puts on you.....so a skinny guy would fair worse than one with a little meat on them. I hope that makes sense.......mind you Im not built like I was in college but Im still slim.
Does that all make sense to you??????? Or am I smoking my lunch again....... :puzzled:

Shoot well.........
That and body shape too...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.