Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting a 4" S&W 329PD for occasional CCW in the outdoors while camping, hiking etc. Anyone have experience with packing a large revolver IWB or holster recommendations.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I'm still looking for the right holster for my Taurus 444Multi (their version of the 329), but I've cannibalized a generic nylon holster out of the used bin at the local shop to test it out. It's manageable in the scheme of things - the cylinder size is going to take some work getting around and things like getitng in and out of cars was more problematic than those couple weeks I carried a .44 DE for the hell of it.

·
Registered
998 Posts
We had a thread a couple of weeks ago concerning N frame holsters. You may want to check it out.

I see no reason why an N frame wouldn't be a good carry gun. My only personal issue with it would be is that Safariland doesn't make the compIII loader for it.

·
Registered
770 Posts
A couple of notes
The larger cylindered snubs are great carry's but the pressure put on you by the cylinder when carried IWB can be a bit much. Make sure you get a good holster that can help spread the weight out and be as thin as possible.....something with for and aft clips/loops would be the best. Nothing but 2 pcs of leather around the cylinder to help the thickness.
Just personally for camping and etc.......I may go for a pancake style holster.
I would keep it close to the body and out of the way of "SHRUBBERY", Monty Python thrown in, and be much more comfy.........
Just a thought............

·
Registered
835 Posts
Large Revolver

I bought a smartcarry rig from John Ross (Firearms trainer, author, all around good guy) at a shoot last weekend. He carries a 3" .500 S&W in a smartcarry, couldn't see a thing :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Eric Larsen said:
The larger cylindered snubs are great carry's but the pressure put on you by the cylinder when carried IWB can be a bit much.
Good point. Which is exactly why Milt Sparks sold me on their PMK holster. It's not an IWB, but hides like one. Wonderful!!

·
Registered
299 Posts
It seems I can't even carry a J frame IWB comfortably; I doubt I'm going to look at N frame IWB's. If I lost 30lbs or so maybe, but not now.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Actually I think its the other way around.......maybe anyway. Im a skinny little type guy......5'9" 165 lbs.....and carrying any wheel gun IWB just plain gets to you after a while. J frames/SP's etc, arent as bad but are still problematic after a while. I think the more dense/or solid you are the more pressure it puts on you.....so a skinny guy would fair worse than one with a little meat on them. I hope that makes sense.......mind you Im not built like I was in college but Im still slim.
Does that all make sense to you??????? Or am I smoking my lunch again....... :puzzled:

Shoot well.........

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Folks know - IWB ain't for me - with anything.

I did tho for some while last year carry my 4" M28 very easily OWB. It was of course heavier but probably no worse than my 226 - and the small increase in bulk was no problem.

Can't somehow imagine IWB revo - tho I know some folks do it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Eric Larsen said:
Actually I think its the other way around.......maybe anyway. Im a skinny little type guy......5'9" 165 lbs.....and carrying any wheel gun IWB just plain gets to you after a while. J frames/SP's etc, arent as bad but are still problematic after a while. I think the more dense/or solid you are the more pressure it puts on you.....so a skinny guy would fair worse than one with a little meat on them. I hope that makes sense.......mind you Im not built like I was in college but Im still slim.
Does that all make sense to you??????? Or am I smoking my lunch again....... :puzzled:

Shoot well.........
That and body shape too...

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Get back to me in a couple months. I'm going to try to conceal a monster revolver. But holster funds are dry for another month, and then actually waiting for the holster...

Of course I'm still waiting for the license too, and there's no telling how much longer that will take.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
This should take care of things nicely LOL. :tongue: :eek: :biggrin:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts