Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving today when I noticed that the biker in front of me a ways was carrying. I changed lanes and got beside and slightly behind him just to see if I could identify what his firearm of choice was.

It struck me that I couldn't figure out if this guy was intending to CC or OC. I mean, it was tucked inside his bands at 6 o'clock with a mounted belt clip, but it was sort of half open and half tucked under his shirt and jacket.

The way i figure it, this guy would be in real trouble if he OCing and ended up snagging his firearm on his shirt in an attempt to draw. That, or he has yet to realize that when speeding around on a motorcycle the back of your shirt tends to flap about and drift upwards... making the 6 o'clock position a terrible place to conceal. Based on his holstering method I'm inclined to think it was the latter.

I really felt like rolling down the window and asking the guy what his deal was... but my curiosity was ultimately over-ridden by sensibility.:nutkick:

It's still kinda bugging me though.... what was he try'n do:confused:

·
Super Moderator
18,131 Posts
Not to mention that if he did hit the dirt at a high rate of speed that the gun in the 6:00 postition could really mess him up for life...if he lives through it.

I've seen a few guns inadvertently exposed when someone was riding a motorcycle, some of them just dont seem to think much about it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not to mention that if he did hit the dirt at a high rate of speed that the gun in the 6:00 postition could really mess him up for life...if he lives through it.
ha. That's exactly what I told my brother, who was riding shock gun

·
Registered
469 Posts
Ive seen many riders carry at 6 o'clock and usually the same thing you describe is what happens. Ive only told maybe 2 riders about it, only because I KNEW them.
~Steve

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm a biker and I always carry on my 6. But I'm also not the type to just go ride with only a shirt. I will always have on either my leather jacket or leather vest. Which both allow me to have perfect access. I found that riding with it on my strong side makes it extremely noticable. Then again, I carry a G19 so it's pretty obvious when I carry it anywhere other than my 6 or my vest inside pocket.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My Kimber UC II rides nicely in my right side vest pocket.
Keeps my throttle hand free and is a ******* lot easier to access.

·
Registered
59 Posts
When I ride my weapon is in the same place it always is, IWB at my 3:00. I don't pay any mind to the wind lifting my shirt when I ride as WA is an open carry state. When I am on long rides and wearing my road jacket, I prefer OC as it is much more accesable in riging gear.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
When I ride it's at 3:00 and well covered, in my vest pocket, or in a pouch. I sure wouldn't cover at 6 o'clock, that just couldn't be good on a long ride.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I carry at 9 o'clock and sometimes the wind is exceptional and will raise my shirt,I just keep pulling it down,it's not a problem when it's cool enough to wear my vest

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
mine is at 4:00 iwb regardless of whether i'm riding or driving...the only thing i have to be cautious about is at high speeds my shirt gets lifted...i was on i75 at 80 mph one day and realized i had been riding possibly for quite a while with my firearm exposed...ooops...i usually tuck the hem of the shirt under the belt clip when i'm riding just to keep the shirt down...even if i leave it that way off the bike it doesnt really look like much of anything...

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
3:00 for IWB or 9:00 crossdraw for bellyband. The bellyband can go up higher and can be hidden under my jacket (its under one of the armor pieces so no printing issues and less injury if I get thrown.)

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
I used to carry @ 4:00, but got tired of fighting to keep my shirt/jacket down. 6:00 isn't an option on most Harleys with forward controls. Now I carry the G19 in the breast pocket of my leather jacket, or I downsize to a 637 in my pants pocket in the summer.

Motorcycles and cc'ing is a world unto it's own, with all kind of unique issues.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
When on my bike, I carry at about 3-4 o'clock IWB, and will tuck my shirt under my belt to keep it concealed.
I should mention that when un my bike, I carry my snub .38.

·
Registered
368 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I see this alot in VA..

See this is a lot like what I saw, except his shirt and jacket were snagged up around the hammer of his gun. I figure it needs to be one or the other for a smooth draw.

I'd never seen this before in Phoenix. Most bikers seem to either conceal well or OC at 3.

My winter riding jacket has a holster sewn in at the bottom left of my rib cage (I'd rather have a cracked rib than a severed spine i guess). Otherwise I just carry at 3 during the summer (well spring actually... to hot to ride much in the summer). When I get my CC permit I think I might try for a shoulder holster.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I was driving today when I noticed that the biker in front of me a ways was carrying. I changed lanes and got beside and slightly behind him just to see if I could identify what his firearm of choice was....
OC state? If so why the concern? Sometimes I just pull a shirt over my gun if I am open carrying - then decide to conceal somewhat. Don't usually go to great measures at that point to hide it - just cover up a bit. Most likely if the state is a OC state - he didn't care one way or the other if it was seen.

I hope no one ever rolls down the window to point out something like that to me - I might think they are a Obama supporter. :gah:

·
Registered
346 Posts
I don't ride a motorcycle but I often carry on my bicycle. I usually carry a .380 Walther on my right hip and it stays concealed. One time I noticed traffic finally giving me a wide berth instead of whizzing by me at 6". Only then did I realize my shirt had come untucked and my Walther was showing. Best ride I've had all summer.:wave:
Jim

1 - 20 of 21 Posts