Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
6,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a strange situation going on around here. Briefly...

We have had an actor sneaking around the nearby neighborhoods in the wee hours of the morning. He also appears to enjoy breaking into homes - occupied homes, no less. Three days ago he broke into a home at around 2am and attempted to gain entrance to the teenage daughter's bedroom upstairs. He would have succeeded had the homeowner not interrupted his exploits. Police were summoned. More on that in a second.

He was caught on security cameras and identified. Turns out he is known to neighbors AND police. His address is known as well as his parents. He graduated from a local high school in 1999, so he isn't a child! A couple of neighbors suggested he is mentally challenged ( duh! ). Others who knew him in school said he was all kinds of trouble during those years, so he has a history.

Now here is where the situation gets very dangerous. The police did not arrest the subject, they TOOK HIM HOME. It turns out this is about the 5th or 6th time they have done so after he broke into a residence. Every time they take him home, in a few days there is a repeat of this behavior.

People on the neighborhood app are talking...loudly. Out of a hundred or so posts by residents, I stopped counting at 50 saying get a gun and use it. There are quite a few new gun owners, and lots of women saying they are terrified. Everyone wants to know why this is allowed to continue.

I have said nothing, and intend to remain silent. Too much risk of catastrophe, in my judgement. The neighbors are in about three camps: shoot him, have him committed, sue the police department. There is a defense attorney who lives in this area whom I have spoken with a few times, and he is stunned at the reaction of the police in all this.

Maybe there is some good that can come out of this situation. We can use it to ponder how we would react - and pray we never have to confront such a dilemma.

·
Registered
8,092 Posts
"The neighbors are in about three camps: shoot him, have him committed, sue the police department."

I don't see these as mutually exclusive. Prepare for the first, and pursue the second two in the courts. This guy has already crossed a line. He will eventually cross a more serious line. These things never get better on their own.

·
Registered
6,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My understanding of the events is that the police have done the equivalent of the EMS "scoop and go". I think initially some/most of the neighbors thought the police took him to jail. Only later have they discovered he was not, just taken home. It seems someone has decided to judge him harmless in spite of his dangerous activities?

That is my understanding as of today.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
That's crazy. His daddy must be paying off, or has some kind of blackmail on the police chief, or some other high up on the totem pole person.

That's the only reason that I can see that this is allowed to be happening.

·
Registered
8,092 Posts
Why have none of these homeowners pressed charges? That guy will end up dead if LE won't act.
Victims "pressing charges" is an urban myth bolstered by the entertainment media. An individual cannot press charges. Only a prosecutor or grand jury can. A victim can make a compliant, provide evidence and request that charges be brought, but it sounds like that has happened here and the prosecutor has not acted.

If I were one of the homeowners, I would bring this to the media. If they published the story, that would put a lot of pressure on the cops and prosecutor. The homeowners could also apply for a restraining order, which would put the perp in contempt of court if he is caught violating it. The cops and the prosecutor may not be able to ignore that.

·
Registered
891 Posts
A lead vaccination can cure such viruses. If he breaks into the wrong house, he may find his well-deserved cure.
That question comes up in concealed carry class. "Do you really want to shoot little Johnny from down the street if you find him trying to steal something from your home in the night?" It's a question we all have to ask ourselves if that should happen. Is he a threat to your life and safety?

In this neighborhood problem who knows how this will be handled some dark night. In case he were to ever become violent it makes one think about relying upon a handgun instead of something else that will end the situation more quickly. It also makes one wonder about someone ***** footing around your house at night and seeing your gun near the bedside. Scary stuff.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
If you can't get options two or three to get an arrest made, or notifying the local media to garner attention to get things resolved peacefully then you (homeowner in this case) only have one option. That's a terrible thing to have to admit to oneself.

While it would be preferable to do things peacefully, when the peacekeepers make that impossible then violence is all that remains. Good luck with this situation. I hope you are not the one who has to make a tough choice.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
One wonders if there might be pressure on LE to either keep the jails uncrowded, keep the crime stats lower, or perhaps both (or neither)?

One also suspects that there just might be increases recent crime nationwide (home invasions and prop crime) that haven't made the news (guessing more likely in NY, NJ and Cali than Texas)

Corrections to my suspicions invited.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Those who could not function in polite society used to be housed away from those who could. Didn’t Geraldo screw this up for us? LOL

Years ago, when the economy tanked, I was broke and living in cheap housing. One of my neighbors was schizophrenic; rather than take his psychotropic meds, he would sell them to get booze and whatever drugs he could find. The guy was a constant problem sober, lit on substances, law enforcement was guaranteed to be coming around multiple times that day.

They had stopped locking him up because nothing ever came of it, he would be back out and up to his shenanigans within days. There was nothing that could be done, so he got by making everyone else’s life more difficult.

Finally, he destroyed property in front of witnesses and got booted from his apt. I’m sure he became someone else’s problem after that.

I bet this kid has an arrest record a mile long, the courts aren’t locking him up, so the police are not bringing him in anymore.
Same thing that happened with my neighbor.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I think that it would concern anyone if this person showed up “in the dark of night” and is unidentifiable as anything more than a ”silhouette in the hall”. I am not sure how many people would stop to consider if this is a person who is benignly somehow challenged. It would be very disturbing to me to be awakened from sleep and leave my bed to find someone, not a family member, moving around in a hall or in the living room. I am pretty sure how I would respond after calling the police who are at best not on site and minutes away. A lot can happen in five minutes, let alone, twenty. The person conducting these activities is at great risk and this behavior needs to be monitored or stopped for his own safety.

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
Not sure if it would end well if I found him outside one of my kids bedroom.
Still can’t grasp the idea that the cops just take him home.
If the local municipalities don’t do their job it will not end well.
He will be dead, and the poor homeowner will go through hell

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I find myself wondering if a period of incarceration would have any beneficial effects if he is mentally deficient as suggested. Regardless, letting him carry on unimpeded will only make things worse. I'd advise taking it up with the city council to remind them of their responsibility.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts