Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Occasionally, but 2 weeks ago one showed up 30 min. after I came in from mowing the grass.
I know they usually run, but was looking over my shoulder yesterday while mowing, more often than not.
About 5 miles from here one grabbed a guy & started pulling him into the woods, not a good sign. He got loose & lives.
Have a S&W 19, too big to carry & glock 23 that I have, but maybe a Shield 45 cal. might be an ideal gardening tool?
45 any better than a 40 cal on Black Bears & chipmunks?
Or maybe a Shield 40 so I don't have to buy another cal. ammo.
PS. He didn't like those small compressed air boat horns! After I had him running I should have shot him in the ass with my Daisey BB gun!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Occasionally, but 2 weeks ago one showed up 30 min. after I came in from mowing the grass.
I know they usually run, but was looking over my shoulder yesterday while mowing, more often than not.
About 5 miles from here one grabbed a guy & started pulling him into the woods, not a good sign. He got loose & lives.
Have a S&W 19, too big to carry & glock 23 that I have, but maybe a Shield 45 cal. might be an ideal gardening tool?
PS. He didn't like those small compressed air boat horns! After I had him running I should have shot him in the ass with my Daisey BB gun!
Looks like you want a valid excuse to buy another gun? Other than weight and size what would you gain by shelving your g23 over a shield 40? You mentioned mowing? Are you using a Push Mower, Self-Propelled or a Garder/Tractor Mower, that may have some bearing on what you'd like to carry. If it were me I'd stick with a g23, ymmv...

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Garder/Tractor Mower, & that is what my practical part of brain wanted to hear, keep 23 if 40cal is as good as 45 & for black bears I think so.
AND!! I was looking for an excuse.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Sounds like a good time to expand your horizons with a bigger caliber, or at least a bigger pistol. A nice 4"-6" 357 or a full size 45ACP (G21) with some good hot ammo for either. Why go down to a smaller gun than your 23? I'm sure there are some healthy loads out there for it. For any bear encounter, I wouldn't want anything less than 45ACP, and definitely not a pocket gun.

Reactions: Jpk0427

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
load that G23 with Hornady 180gr. XTP 14 of those around the head and chest should take the wind plumb out of it's sails

Hornady load;

40 SW XTP JHP 180gr 361 ft-lb 950fps

Underwood load if you want something hotter;

40 SW XTP HP 180gr 484 ft-lb 1100fps

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Yes! I'm the first .... 10mm :danceban:

·
Super Moderator
23,558 Posts
No gun is needed. Please no gun.

Living With Bears

Bear spray is all you need. That, and common sense.

IFF you must resort to something stronger, rubber buck shot is all you'll need. Really.

·
Administrator
143,574 Posts
Check your State law on shooting bears in California.
Your State Govt. would rather the bear get you, than you get the bear.

The first thing I would do before you shop for another firearm would be to shop for some high quality bear spray. :yup:

And then shop for another firearm if that is what you want to do.

·
Administrator
143,574 Posts
GUARD ALASKA is a fantastic bear spray product.

I believe that they are still using a Stainless canister so that the contents do not react with the canister.
AKA...a greatly extended shelf life.

It is about $30.00 plus dollars but, well worth the money.
You can purchase it from J&L Self Defense Products.
Great company. :yup: I deal with them all the time. And they ship FAST!!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Good God man! You want to shoot a bear in CA? What is wrong with you?

Our leaders, much wiser than you or me, have clearly stated this will not be tolerated!

You are far better off letting the bear maul you. If the bear mauls you there are two out comes. One you die, your wife gets the life insurance and they move on. Two you live, hospital covered by insurance.

If you shoot the bear you will be arrested, gun confiscated, kids sent off to foster care, huge bail, very expensive lawyer, jail time, loss of job, house foreclosed on, wife will divorce you.

Go for the mauling......Word!

Sam

·
Registered
887 Posts
I live in the mountains of North Carolina, didn't hear any news about a black bear dragging a guy into the woods. We have black bear up around here alot. The last thing you want to think about is shooting at a bear unless it was the absolute last resort. If you do, then you better kill him because having a wounded black bear roaming around could be very dangerous.

·
Administrator
143,574 Posts
I am sure there was one fatal black bear attack in New Jersey near the Pennsylvania line but, you have to wonder what the guy did wrong.
Misinterpretation of bear signals/behavior probably. :yup:

And then we had one couple in 2014 and they were injured by a black bear inside their home when a black bear chased their barking dog into the house.

With (estimated 18,000 Black Bear in Pa.) Probably closer to 20,000 :yup: folks just don't get attacked.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
I'm another WNC guy and with black bear by some bear spray and in a pinch wasp spray . The nice foamy type work buy can be deadly . Aby handgun you have is fine BUT most likely not needed . bear can be interested in watch you at times too . I use rubber buck shot when I have a bear wanting bird feeders or wasp traps and we have a couple mom ma bears that hang close now .

One of our she bears , First photo was 15 feet away and other is 35 feet away
102_0385_zpsu3sn9tlv.jpg Photo by hardluk1 | Photobucket

102_0389_zpsi9dv2p7d.jpg Photo by hardluk1 | Photobucket

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Sounds like an excuse to buy a Colt 45. Any model will do!

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We have had them for years and no attacks other than bird feeders, which are removed after for a month or so.
Was taking garbage out & 2 cubs ran past me at 20ft. Didn't stay around for Mom, heard those stories.
Good advice here.
Always did hear that if a Black grabs you, you are dinner. Unlike a Grizzly.
A friend told me about the guy in Oxcreek being grabbed by the shoulder and dragged into the tree. How he got away, only he knows. I never saw it in the paper or on TV either.
Nearest attack on a person was about 80 miles west of us last year. Great Smoky Mntn Park.
Just hope ALL the bears around here smoke Hippy Cabbage with the locals & are into peace & love & Vegans.
On a rider 100 yards away from the house with bears in the yard makes you think about them when you are an old fat slow guy!
I don't want to shoot any bear, but was trying to justify a new single stack!
But when I was a kid, I sure did like laying on Grandpas bear skin rug.
You are right, the difference in size between what I already have & a single stack isn't worth the price.......maybe.:rolleyes:
Might get some spray to carry in the drink holder though. & a good OTW holster for the 23.
Have some mean looking Buffalo Bore flat nose for the .357, Slug & 00 for the short 12 gauge side by side for uninvited 2 or 4 leggers.
Thanks!

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
The Fishing GUIDE that defended against that GRIZZLY... he's what I would call a MAN'S MAN !!!!
The largest critter i have seen here in my part of Texas is a BOBCAT. I gave it a wide berth and IT left me alone!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts