Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my glock 19 I carry the first 5 rounds of old Winchester black talon 9mm no idea on grain or anything but the other 10 rounds are just target rounds:( I'm having a hard time locally finding a good SD round but I want to find some Speer gold dot 124 and when I do should I keep the black talons up top and use those first or just disregard those and have a full clip of gold dots? Now I heard the talons are a pretty mean round but they are before I was brought into the world of SD and using a gun to possibly stop a threat. Any info would be great thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Save the talons for the story. They are not much better or worser than the other SD ammo you have. It might be slightly better (the black talons), but rechambering a round over and over leads to other troubles.

Some will tell you there is no difference. I suggest wiki. I think they have it right (as in they are slightly better).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Talon

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
You are carrying 15 year old ammo which has been exposed to who knows what, rechambered who knows how often...

Thank you. NO.

Ammunitiontogo.com is your friend.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I bought some BT .357

Fired 2 randomly selected rounds and put the other 18 in 3 speed loaders. I can say there is a kick but not much worse then other hot .357 loads. They make water jugs explode very nice!

The BT also uses a heavier then normal bullet. Probably 130 grain or more in that 9mm

go have some fun with the black talons, keep one for a memento, and get some new ammo for your CCW.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Remember, BTs are infamous for jacket separation. They are a mean round, during expansion, part spreads out into razor like blades that cut you up pretty bad while spinning through you.

Those are pretty old, and as others have said, could have other problems because of multiple chambering.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Yep, Win. Ranger T's.....and as stated prior, that's pretty old stuff. Sounds like something that's begging to be "milk-jug" tested next range trip.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well thank you for the replies i will go find something cool to shoot with the BT. I should mention though as far as storage with those they were stored in ammo containers like the rest of the rounds i shoot and also the box was never opened so I am the first to chamber those.

·
Registered
203 Posts
You are carrying 15 year old ammo which has been exposed to who knows what, rechambered who knows how often...

Thank you. NO.

Ammunitiontogo.com is your friend.
+1. old ammo is fine if it's been stored properly, if you don't know where it's been, dump it. JD is right ranger T is the same ammo. :santaclaus:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Use the talons first shot!

Don't ever carry with fmj ball target ammo!It's good you are using the talons for the first few shots,till you can find a full box of SD ammo.Black talon are great deadly rounds.They won't go bad if stored in a dry place.The sharp talons cause deady wound channels.The new version is the winchester ranger talons.Look for them or any brand name 147GR. hollow point.I like bigger bullets/holes.Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Don't ever carry with fmj ball target ammo!It's good you are using the talons for the first few shots,till you can find a full box of SD ammo.Black talon are great deadly rounds.They won't go bad if stored in a dry place.The sharp talons cause deady wound channels.The new version is the winchester ranger talons.Look for them or any brand name 147GR. hollow point.I like bigger bullets/holes.Good Luck!
Even then, they won't go bad. Ammo has been stored for years in damp conditions and still shoots fine. There's been a ton of WW II ammo found that still shoots fine after decades of "improper" storage.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
i got some and they are for looks. hard to find them these days.

·
Registered
601 Posts
The new Winchester PDX1 round is the next step in the evolution of the Talon line. It is more effective and doesn't have the bad press of the black talon.

·
Registered
185 Posts
9mm Black Talons were 147 gr., sub sonic, deep penetration and positive expansion due to reverse taper jacket. SXT or Ranger T is the same only they are "Politically Correct in that they are not a sinister black color and don't advertise "Talon" claws.
Here is a link to a thread I did with some photos of Black Talons shot through milk jugs of water. I had set up 4 jugs and the bullet was recovered from the 4th jug. 1st jug was vaporized, 2nd was split badly, 3rd was punched through with some splitting, and 4th was punched leaving the bullet inside. These are very impresive bullets in my opinion.

http://www.packing4life.com/showthread.php?t=3404&highlight=Black+Talon

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Do NOT use these for SD, they are a Prosecutor's wet dream.
Hogwash!

Please provide even one documented example of your assertion.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
I have some B/T in .45 that are pretty new. I have some SD mags full of them.
I would not use old ammo for SD as your life is worth a few more dollars than that...:yup:

Also, once I have allowed a bullet to be ejected more than two times, it gets used at the next range session.:comeandgetsome::bier:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts