Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of getting the Blackhawk holster that has the index finger release button on it.

My question is, will that holster be rough on the blueing on my pistol?

·
Administrator
144,131 Posts
All holsters no matter if leather or Kydex will eventually cause wear to the blue on the contact areas.

Especially if you practice drawing your firearm from your holster extensively which everybody should be doing.

You know the old saying. "Nothing stays new forever."

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All holsters no matter if leather or Kydex will eventually cause wear to the blue on the contact areas.

Especially if you practice drawing your firearm from your holster extensively which everybody should be doing.

You know the old saying. "Nothing stays new forever."
I understand wearing on the blueing with leather holsters. I have had leather holsters since 1981. I'm just concerned with the "Kydex" style of plastic on a blued gun.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have a MTAC which is half leather/ half kydex... i have not noticed significatly more wear on the kydex side than the leather side

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think leather conceals a little better,Blackhawk is an really good holster but more along a service oriented holster ,great for IDPA or USPSA,a Custom leather made for CC would be better for you 1911 in my opinion,it all depends on waht your using it for?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think leather conceals a little better,Blackhawk is an really good holster but more along a service oriented holster ,great for IDPA or USPSA,a Custom leather made for CC would be better for you 1911 in my opinion,it all depends on waht your using it for?
I have 7 or 8 nice leather holsters for this gun, a couple are custom made for it.

I just want one of these Serpa holsters, but not if it is going to ruin the finish.

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
The Serpa line holsters and most kydex tend to wear in a few spots rather than spread out like leather . i have a few distinct wear points on my 1911 SA from the Serpa holster most noted is the edge of the trigger guard.
As said all holsters will wear on a finish, I choose a holster for its concealment and user qualities , not how it wears the finish.

·
Banned
1,438 Posts
yes, the SERPA will definitely proveide more wear and tear than leather will. i use it for my 1911, but i don't really care about how it looks, only how it works. if you're concerned about the finish of your gun, do not use kydex, only leather.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes, the SERPA will definitely proveide more wear and tear than leather will. i use it for my 1911, but i don't really care about how it looks, only how it works. if you're concerned about the finish of your gun, do not use kydex, only leather.
Thank you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts