Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! Just got my SERPA holster tonight. Looks sharp and clean lines. Initial impressions after wearing and trying the paddle and belt slot options.

The holster holds tight to my body, even with the paddle attachment. The mount system gives lots of options for cant angle. This holster secures the gun nicely. It is way superior to the Fobus holster I have. The paddle feature hooks may hold a bit too much. I have removed the screw on hooks for not. (I couldn't remove the paddle with out dang near taking off my pants!)

I have a great feeling for this holster. Will post another write up, once I have used it for a while.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Rocky,

I've found that the belt attachment holds the gun a little tighter against the body, for me. This gives me better concealment.

But I still prefer the paddle, so I'll be able to remove it while in my truck and hide it, should I have to go into a "no-carry" zone.

But I'm still just carrying around the house, waiting for my CCW to get here. . .

One thing I didn't notice at first and really should have, was the adjustments on the belt attachment that lets you fit the thing to different belt widths. I discovered that makes a real difference.

mm

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Be great to have a review and - please, some pics on body if you can Rocky.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
I couldn't read the link either, but I know that there have been numerous accidental discahrges with this holster due to the trigger-guard locking mechanism. Apparently it's very prone to an AD if not drawn and reholstered at exactly the right (for that holster) angle. Several of the top notch training schools and ranges around the country will not permit this holster on their range. And I've talked to a few of these instructors and they do not feel it's a training issue or operator error but rather a hardware/equipment problem.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Mark Garrity said:
I couldn't read the link either, but I know that there have been numerous accidental discahrges with this holster due to the trigger-guard locking mechanism. Apparently it's very prone to an AD if not drawn and reholstered at exactly the right (for that holster) angle. Several of the top notch training schools and ranges around the country will not permit this holster on their range. And I've talked to a few of these instructors and they do not feel it's a training issue or operator error but rather a hardware/equipment problem.
Wow thats some Scary but good info

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'd like to know how you like the SERPA after carrying with it for a couple weeks. I was torn between the SERPA and the Comp-Tac, but bought the Comp-Tac yesterday for my Glock 17.

I heard in my CCW class that SERPA is coming out with a totally new SERPA design early this year. The instructor was sworn to secrecy and could not talk about it, but said it will be worth the wait.

·
Super Moderator
19,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rob72, can you cut and paste the info? At least the highlights? I have heard a few complaints about the SERPA holsters, but cannot imagine how the holster could cause the gun to fire. I feel as long as I maintain correct trigger disipline , I will not accidently AD my gun. So far ,I have seen no info that could directly be blamed on the holster.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
rocky said:
Rob72, can you cut and paste the info? At least the highlights? I have heard a few complaints about the SERPA holsters, but cannot imagine how the holster could cause the gun to fire. I feel as long as I maintain correct trigger disipline , I will not accidently AD my gun. So far ,I have seen no info that could directly be blamed on the holster.

Wonder if its the glock's going Boom

·
Super Moderator
19,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bud White said:
Wonder if its the glock's going Boom
Honestly, I can not see the Glock short trigger even being set off by a reholster , but then again , I do not own a Glock either. I did hear of 2 cases of Glocks firing out of the SERPA holsters, but the poster seemes anti SERPA and quite biased.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I bought a Blackhawk CQC with Serpa retention and right after I ordered it I read that review by Paul Gomez. One thing I will say, Gomez's opinions are valid and he has an excellent background. However.....
I haven't had an issue with the holster since I got and used it at the range. I can see their point about using the tip of your finger to release the weapon, but I haven't done that yet. I also haven't been in a high stress environment to do that yet either. Even though I like the open top holster for my armored car gig, I will probably change once I get some more money to spend on another holster.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Blackhawk6 said:
Yeah, that's Gomez's post. To me, the essential point was that it might not be the rig you want if you scrabble around on the ground much. Also, unlike any other maker's current offerings, the SERPA requires the "claw" motion with the index finger to release- I can see where that could lead to an "oopsie", in the heat of the moment.

The issue is not so much that the holster has some issues (what new offering dosen't?), but that BH seems to have been perfectly happy to ignore concerns from the field. Not what you expect from a company that says they are for "end-users".

I don't carry for duty, so grab-retention is not my concern: the one thigh holster I own is the Eagle flap style, with thumb break inside, for ready access and security "in the country". Because of the release mechanism, I wouldn't choose the SERPA for my limited needs.

·
Super Moderator
19,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok. I tried grab and go drills with my SERPA holster. I could see in a large panic possibly getting finger in the trigger guard. Valid point made. I can see how someone could do this , especially with a non safety gun.
I will practice keeping my finger on the slide stop during draws till it is second nature. Also, the draw pattern I use , the safety is not off till the gun is almost in the firing position. Perhaps a slightly larger speed bump below the release would help keep fingers in line with the frame too. I may add a strip to try this.
While some LE have AD'ed with this holster, I cannot say if it was operator error of holster error. Perhaps a bit of both. I have heard or seen too many AD incidents that should not of happened by trained LE. Will post back more once I have used this holster and if I am still alive .

·
Registered
750 Posts
Well, I read the stuff about discharges being blamed on the SERPA retention system and I am not as convinced that the system is bad, as the people who wrote about them.

Until that link was posted, I'd not heard of any such incedences happening. But, they appearantly have.

I am no expert on such matters, but I simply do not agree with their analisis of what actually happened.

Anyone who would "in a panic" or simply "in a hurry", "punch" the button on that holster and then while making the draw, let that finger slide inside the trigger guard and pull the trigger, would very likely have done the same thing, drawing the gun from any other type of holster.

If you think about it, especially when talking about a Glock, we are told to keep the trigger finger out of the guard, and along side the frame, until the target has been aquired. And we are supposed to train ourselves to do just that, practicing it over and over, until it becomes a natural, reflexive action.

For me, that "button" on the Blackhawk holster, serves to re-enforce that "aquired habit." That is exactly why I had no problem getting used to drawing from it, in the first place.

Now, as to the destruction of the holster when the two guys tried to remove a "stuck weapon," that's hardly reason to condem the holster for coming apart. It wasn't as if it had broken during a retention drill. It was, after all to men working in concert against the holster, not one guy breaking the holster while the other was trying to stop him.

As for the gun being stuck in there in the first place, I just don't know. I've no idea if that holster was someone's every-day carry, or if it belonged to a school that used in regularly in retention drills and was subjected to heavy abuse on a regular schedule, or what.

I don't put much stock in the conclusion that the "lock-up" was due to a small piece of gravel in the mechanism, which I suppose they dissected after that rather lively wrestling match. A lot of what is found in a "post mortum exam," can be incidental.

If a lock-up as described is all that easy, I'd have expected to hear of more than just this one. As much as I looked over this and the the Glock Talk forum, I'd have thought it would have be mentioned, somewhere.

Although I've not read everything, every where, that thread was the first I'd seen that talked about these failures. And "many problems" looked like they all appeared right there. Maybe I just missed a lot.

I would say that it is rather clear that their opinion of it wasn't very high.

No, I am not ready to get rid of mine, based on that discussion.
I like mine.

As for an "active retention holster," what I was looking for was one that held the weapon in the holster during every day carry. I don't want the embarrasment of having it skitter across the floor at a resturaunt, and having to post about it, here. (I've read those post.)

Looks to me like most who carry concealed, tend to stay away from snaps and straps to keep the gun where it belongs. They, like I do, depend upon their own actions to keep the weapon out of the BG's hands.

Like I said, I am happy with my Blackhawk holster and I do not agree with the assement of others maintain that it is inherently dangerous. Just about anything can be "what if'ed to death, and it looks to me like a little bit of that, is what happened here.

Mike

PS:
I've just got to learn to proof-read these long-winded post of mine, before hitting the "submit button." That's the button I have problems with.
I'm done editing now, hope I got it right.

mm

1 - 20 of 23 Posts