Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the making of holsters, I notice that plastic guns are often seen in the photos. I assume these are the blanks used to form the leather or to use as a template to make a holster.

My question: Where do you get the blanks? Is there a company making plastic guns, or are these just kids gun bought at the local Toys R Us?

·
Super Moderator
50,611 Posts
Google: Blue or Red practice guns...lots of them.:yup:

·
Registered
443 Posts
As he said mostly known as Rings Blue Guns you can get them all over the place, there are the ASP red guns also but it's generally accepted from most guys who I've talked to that the blue guns are closer dimensions and work better for actual wet molding. There are also aluminum dummy guns made but I haven't had any experience with them, overall the biggest shortcoming is the lack of variety in models available. For instance I can't seem to get a Taurus PT145 in a bluegun(thankfully I have my real gun to use), and that's the case with quite a few guns that are pretty common for carry.

One other option is airsoft guns but you need to be careful which manufacturers guns you use since some are very close and others aren't, they also don't take well to pressing like a solid blue gun will. You can sometimes find airsoft guns that are broken but physically intact for very cheap which is how I picked up a few of my guns for making 1911 holsters. The other perk to using them over real guns is you don't have to continuously keep oiling and cleaning your guns;)

If you decide you want to make some holsters or want any tips I'm just south of you and more than willing to help, heck if your looking for a little bit of leather to start that's better than what you can get at Tandy I've got some Herman Oak that I can sell you a small bit enough for a holster or some horsehide etc.

Luke

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
If you plan to order Blueguns from Rings be sure to tell them you are making holsters so they leave off the final finish, it will leave blue marks on the leather if you don't.:smile:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts