Defensive Carry banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As someone carrying a concealed weapon, do you feel like you are less likely to be involved in a confrontation by blending in with everyone else in the crowd or looking more like someone that has a more heightened awareness level and, generally, not someone to the bad guy would want to "mess with"?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I believe most criminals (ones with some amount of smarts) look for easy targets and tend to stay away from those who appear to be assertive and capable of self-defense.

I don't go about looking like I want to kick everybody's teeth in, but I also try not to appear like I'm on some crook's menu.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
A friend of mine says if you look like food you will get eaten.

I let everyone else look like food. I intend to look like a predator. Head up constant scanning identifying possible people of interest etc. Gun or no gun it is the same.

When I worked in DC only one guy even approached me. I did walk around with a I want to kick your teeth in look on my face. When you're a white guy in SE DC you don't blend in. :D

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
:lol:

I've been told I look mean. I've even had a couple people ask me if I was a cop. :D

·
Banned
239 Posts
I'd rather be on my toes and be a surly bastard than to get caught off guard and be a victim. Besides I've found that people that take a little getting to know are far more interesting than the automotons :) standing around waiting for lunch.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Sometimes you can spot other carry-permit people by their behavior/dress.

One example was an assertive fellow who was standing around wearing a multi-pocketed photographer's vest and had no camera, but he appeared ready to "shoot" something if he had to.

You can spot well-disciplined gunowners by the fact they tend to keep their trigger fingers off of anything resembling a trigger. I've done it to gas pumps, Windex bottles, etc. :lol:

·
Registered
742 Posts
Victim

As I go to and fro and round about, I see many people waiting to be victims.

They walk with their heads down, wear headphones, do not acknowledge 'howdy', are just in general in full condition white, or on a pink cloud.

The key to avoidance is awareness.

Some examples of avoidance behavior are:

Non attendance
Don't go where crap happens

But if there
become invisible

Be deselected by predators by
Stance, way you move, act, scan, bearing

If selected
Disengage, move, verbal, keeping moving, do not stop to answer questions, KEEP MOVING.

Know the rules for use of lethal force where you live.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Originally posted by Betty

One example was an assertive fellow who was standing around wearing a multi-pocketed photographer's vest and had no camera, but he appeared ready to "shoot" something if he had to.
In my area a photographer's vest and a big fanny pack scream gun. Fortunately a loose overshirt is a style in my area, so that works well for me.

I spot them by the fact that they are usually paying attention to their environment like I do.

You can spot well-disciplined gunowners by the fact they tend to keep their trigger fingers off of anything resembling a trigger. I've done it to gas pumps, Windex bottles, etc. :lol:
Nice to know I'm not the only one who does this. Do you also find that you want nothing in your strong side hand when carrying?

·
Registered
20,046 Posts
A mixture depending on where I am and what is around me. Like everyone I sometimes briefly falter in my awareness level, but it's rare and always in an area where I can reasonably expect to be safe (work, home, church, gunshop/range, etc.). Normally in public I am very aware of those around me. If I am in a risky area, which is rare, I put on my ESAD (eat * and die) face and constantly scan what's going on around me. I have only been singled out as a potential target once that I know of.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Indeed. When I was still in college at my schools library, I spotted an early 40's gent heading into the bathroom. For some reason, I just *knew* he was carrying. Probably a LEO. I had to answer the call as well, and as he reached up to push the door open, I saw a large framed auto printing through his sweater... Takes one to know one I guess... :D

·
Registered
868 Posts
I don't know if I standout or not. I am this old overweight guy that's not a threat to anyone. I don't have a ccw because in CA you need a "reason", I just could not come up with a reason when it expired. In my lifetime I have been lucky with no altercations. I worked in many large city areas supporting computer systems and would be sent everywhere by my company. I worked in Washington DC shooting problems at night mostly from 10:00 to 4:00 am. This meant going in dark places where drug dealers would open their car doors when they seen you coming. Going through deserted garages and buildings. So I suppose I have been lucky. I know people who work odd hours and sleep in their car at the customer site sometimes no proplem. So tell me, what is all this rukus about needing to carry a gun??:bowdown:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Was at local mall with Wifey (Better Half) and we say down in the Food Court for some fine culinary subsistence. (For those of you that have not retned or watched "SUPER SIZE ME" I highly recommend it) Ordered a few sandwiches from Schlotzsky's Deli (YUMM).

Sit down and give a quick scan. Notice a kif walkign towards a family of 5 sitting in close proximity to us. by kid I mean 6-8yo. He walks right up to the father on his "6", and transitions to his "4" and actually touches the guys carry-piece. I guess his untucked shirt had been arranged in such a way that his concealed carry was now completely open carry.

Kid touched the pistol and asked if it was real. Needless to say, Father turned the reddest I have ever seen anyone and quickly arranged his clothes.

Me I adhere to the school of Camoflauge. Not trying to sound like billy bad ass, but my size does deter most confrontations. However, I still do scan and target assess those in close vicinity.

~A

·
Registered
134 Posts
okay, next time you go to a mall or a large shopping center, try to pick out the plainclothes security.

theres horrible tell tale signs that a person is a storedick. come back and let us know how many you spot and what gave them away.

the only hint i will give is that a storedick typically is doing the exact opposite of what an armed citizen does.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Originally posted by Tactician
As someone carrying a concealed weapon, do you feel like you are less likely to be involved in a confrontation by blending in with everyone else in the crowd or looking more like someone that has a more heightened awareness level and, generally, not someone to the bad guy would want to "mess with"?
I usually wear a Resistol wide brimmed hat, so I always stand out around here in that respect. I do not worry about my appearance standing out in crowds, because I doubt many violent criminals ply their trade in crowds. They don't want witnesses and do-gooders helping the victim. They are more prone to pick-off lone strays and stragglers just like many wild predators. Also just like in the wild, those appearing weak are most at risk. Face it, by their chosen vocation, crooks are lazy and want to take the path of least resistance. This means their preferred victims will be the ones that are alone or outnumbered, percieved to be weak and who are oblivious to their surroundings. This enables the predator to get within striking distance easily so he can use surprise to his tactical advantage and further assures the criminal that said victim has no prepared defense. Choosing a victim they deem weak further stacks the deck in the lazy criminal's favor. So what are the signs of a weak sheep ripe for the slaughter? Someone too absorbed in things not pertinent to their wellbeing that they don’t notice what is going on around them allows the unseen crook to close in. Someone too timid or scared to make eye contact with strangers or swiftly looks away when the crook makes eye contact is seen as easy prey. Demeanor and attitude say a lot to crooks.

·
Registered
790 Posts
You can spot well-disciplined gunowners by the fact they tend to keep their trigger fingers off of anything resembling a trigger. I've done it to gas pumps, Windex bottles, etc.
ROFL!! Nice to see that others do the same nutty things I do. I catch myself doing that all the time.

I use a Cordless drill extensively throughout my workday, so I spend a lot of my time holding a gun shaped object in my hand. Some of my coworkers teased me about the way I treated it at first. After a while I decided it was better to treat my drill like a gun than treat my gun like a drill.
Besides it is good practice. I catch myself keeping the point down and away from people and generally handling it like I would a handgun, until I need to use it.
It has become largely unconscious, but there is a downside.

Like some of you, I tend to stand out somewhat. A year ago I narrowly avoided being tackled by a couple of hospital security guards who saw me putting my drill into my toolkit from a distance and thought it was an "uzi" :rolleyes:(dark blue Bosch drill with red decals ???) LOL
I have often wondered how much of their perception was based on my movements.

Just for the record, I had been carrying that day, but since you can\'t legally carry in a hospital my firearm was safely locked away in my vehicle.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i would have to say that i agree with allot of what betty said..i personnelly dont care if other people know i am carrying or not i try not to stand out to much but like betty allot of people always tell me that i look mad all the time until they get to know me...

·
Registered
18 Posts
One of the things that my Cherokee Grandmother allways told me was " Don't worry about the man that goes around bragging that he's going to kick your butt... it's the quiet man you need to watch out for, because he's the one that will hurt you."

·
Registered
20,046 Posts
Originally posted by Tincup
One of the things that my Cherokee Grandmother allways told me was "Don't worry about the man that goes around bragging that he's going to kick your butt... it's the quiet man you need to watch out for, because he's the one that will hurt you."
Hey, you been reading my signature? :p

·
Registered
790 Posts
Bumper, actually I have a confession to make.

I am using the quote from your sig, in my sig on a car message board I am a member of. :)

Speaking of which I need to put my other quotes in my sig here.

Bryan

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.