Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a strong suspicion that this subject has been talked to death somewhere here, but I can't find anything using the search function. If it has and you know how I can locate information, maybe that would save everyone time.

I'm an older guy, but new to CCW and new to the site. I have been going through all of the predictable issues, holsters, self-consciousness, when to carry, chambered/not chambered, etc.

I'm thinking now about how to dress. I have been reading about an untucked shirt, Hawaiian shirts and alike. I've never worn that kind of thing. More of a jeans, t shirt, sweatshirt now that I retired. At work I was what you might call business casual, khakis and dress shirt. Is it necessary to dress like Hawaii 5-0 or is there a more normal alternative? I think I'd stick out more if I wore stuff I'm not used to wearing.

One more dumb question. I do wear some of my Army stuff and OD Vietnam Vet jacket, etc. I read somewhere that that tactical or military clothing draws attention and suggests that the person is armed.

Anyhow, as I said, if this is an old, crusty topic let me know.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Well, you might have to give up your skinny jeans.
Lots of us just wear wrangler with an extra inch or two in the waist. Any polo or t shirt that isn't form fitting works.
Tucking a shirt just takes practice.
Hope you have a good gun belt.

·
Registered
20,078 Posts
How and what you are carrying will determine the best way to dress.
Of course your body build will influence this too.

In the summer I can carry a fighting capable handgun (G26), with nothing more than a fairly snug fitting t shirt, AIWB.

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
Took the words right out of my mouth! :danceban:

Seriously, the only change I might suggest would be to let you know dark, or patterned, shirts disguise your gun better than pastels.

With a good belt and a tuckable holster you should have no issues. The only thing you really give up by wearing a tucked in shirt is a little speed. It IS easier to lift an untucked shirt rather than having a shirt tucked over your gun.

Reactions: rmak

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Except when in uniform I wear blue jeans, pull over shirts, and my coat or jacket. Don't worry too much just be comfortable. The right holster, belt and cover garment can do a world of good. BTW one of the guns I carry regularly is a 4" S&W 686 in a pancake style OWB holster.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK. I get the message. No need to make fun. If the administrators want to delete the thread, that's cool with me. I usually over-read and over-think everything. My apologies.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Don't feel like it's been talked to death, because there's always something new that can be learned through discussion. With me, I wear a size bigger pants to accomodate the iwb holster, and when I'm carrying my 1911 I'll leave the shirt untucked. Dark clothing and patterns seem to break up the pattern of the pistol for me if it prints when I move a certain way, but normally it never shows. With my new XDs, I can get away with tucking, because the only part of the holster that shows is an approximately 1/4" hook that is at the bottom of the belt. I wear it close to the belt loop, and unless you know what you're looking at and are actively looking for it, you'll never know it's there. When my hands are dropped to my side, they cover it.

The biggest obstacle to get over is acting normally. It's a strange feeling when you first start carrying, because you really do feel like you're doing something wrong, even though you have a license that says otherwise. This wlll pass with time.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I wear jeans and t-shirt with some kind of sarcastic saying on it. Didn't have to change a thing.
Well, I did start wearing an undershirt.
Wife though. She's stubborn and refuses to change.
She also is a jeans and t-shirt type. She has to have her shirt tucked in though. She wears a cover shirt when carrying but summer will be coming.
Plus, we hope to move to AZ this coming year <snickering>

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
All I have done since 2004 is wear shirts, sweat shirts, etc. that are made to be out. A Snub AIWB and another in a pocket and knowone can see a thing. I NEVER wear tight or even a little tight clothing. T-Shirts, Polo Shirts are the norm for warm weather. With all the phones, knives and stuff on people's belts unless the bulge Screams gun, you won't have a problem. When dressed check the mirror. Bend sit stoop before you go out. Once out and about don't touch or adjust in public. Just make sure the shirt stays down and your good.

·
Premium Member
36,749 Posts
Size-larger pants and shirts, and I'm good. There are a couple refinements beyond that I have gone with, but that is pretty much it. I concern myself much more with the carry set-up itself than trying to make it all disappear.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
In Texas here I tend to dress as I want and go about my business. Not once has it been a problem. Now I'm no longer carrying a six pack unless it's in my hands so I don't tend to wear tight fitting shirts!

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I ask Mrs. GT to carry for BOTH of us. She's just GOTTA' stay/stand real close to me. It prevents me from inadvertently printing, lightens my belt, saves me a TON of money when she's shopping, plus... it makes me better lookin' when she's there. :image035:

I'm surprised more men haven't discovered my secret. :biggrin2:

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
OK. I get the message. No need to make fun. If the administrators want to delete the thread, that's cool with me. I usually over-read and over-think everything. My apologies.
Understandably, anyone new to CC will have some concerns about properly concealing their firearm. This forum is a good place to ask questions.
Your size and build may dictate how you carry. The size of your gun is a factor. During the winter months, wearing a sweatshirt will conceal most pistols well enough that you might be able to carry in a belt holster outside the waste band. Many prefer inside the waste band holsters but may need to wear pants/jeans about 1" wider in the waist. The length of your pistol is not hard to conceal but the length of the grip and how tightly it fits around your hip are factors to be conscious of when concealing. The lighter weight the garment is, the more likely it is for printing to occur. If the butt of your gun is protruding, you may need to re-position your holster on your belt until it hugs your side.

If you are feeling a bit uneasy about concealed carrying do the Wally walk, seriously. That is, walk the aisles at Walmart. Believe it or not, that is the first stop for many who are new to CC. Walmart does not ban guns from their stores. There are usually plenty of shoppers there. Chances are no one will notice that you are concealed carrying and most don't care. Do that a few times until you gain some confidence. Walk normally and don't call attention to yourself by trying to feel and adjust your holster.

You might try a 3 o'clock position. Maybe a 4'oclock position suits you better. You may find that appendix carry works best. You will only know by trying positions and maybe different holsters and walking around places where it's Okay. Home Depot is another good place.

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
If you search "grey man" there is quite a bit of info on dressing and blending into your surroundings. A lot of how you dress is dictated on where you live! What blends in Lower Alabama would stick out like a sore thumb in NYC. I have found that Carhartt carpenter pants and shorts do an excellent job of not printing and their pockets are bigger than Wranglers or Levi's. I have also found the various brands of loose vented fishing shirts similar to Columbia work very well at covering a handgun plus they are meant to be worn untucked. In the winter the Woolrich shirts are excellent for covering a handgun and don't tend to print. Just my .02 worth!

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
In cooler temps a loose fitting sweatshirt is adequate.
A floral or tropical print blends in if vacationing or living in FL, for most other places plaid blends in and helps conceal any minor printing.
Most of the summer I wear loose untucked plaid shirts.
Another option is tie dye, I've got some tie dye long sleeve t-shirts and the pattern is good to conceal any minor printing.
I carry a full size 1911 plus two spare magazines and a PM40 in my pocket wearing cargo shorts or pants and one of the tops described above.
I'm picky about not printing, by wearing appropriate clothes I don't print even with a "larger" pistol.

Reactions: rmak
1 - 20 of 86 Posts