Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have always been shooters and I have had my CCH for some time now.
Recently our home was broken into while we were on vacation. My wife has felt insecure since then and I have encouraged her to have a weapon around the house when I am away. She has since then thought about getting her CCH to carry outside the house.
This is interesting in that she is legally blind. She can make out forms shapes and see faces up close, but other than that her vision is severly limited.
I have encouraged here to go for it and then train within the limits of here vision. My thinking is if she were accosted it would be at very close range and she would be abler to make a com shot at that distance. She is pretty good at shooting to com out to about 10'
Thought I might see what your other opinions might be.
Thanks and best wishes.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
She's not living in a world of darkenss, she would be able to see the image attacking her and end the threat. I say she should get her permit and practice within her limitations.:comeandgetsome:

·
Registered
687 Posts
I hope she is able to get her permit. It's pretty easy to tell who the BG is when someone is attacking you. At longer distances though she may need to call out to have the person audibly identify themselves. If they are in your house and not responding then shots should be fired. Perhaps a safe word for you and your family.

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
I believe she should continue to train to protect herself in her home according to her capabilities. As for a license to carry outside the home, I would not be in favor of that. Are you even sure Kansas will license a legally blind person? Plenty to consider here.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Hmm, tough question. I wholeheartedly support her right to be armed, no differently than anyone else.

As a practical matter, I'd wonder about her questionable ability to follow the basic safety rules of shooting, particularly:

Know your target and what is beyond.
Be absolutely sure you have identified your target beyond any doubt. Equally important, be aware of the area beyond your target. This means observing your prospective area of fire before you shoot. Never fire in a direction in which there are people or any other potential for mishap. Think first. Shoot second.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
My blind step-dad has been carrying for nearly 20 years. He is more aware of his limitations than any of us could be. Work within her limitations to set reasonable limits on what she can and can't do with it and practice within those limits.

·
Registered
7,974 Posts
Work within her limitations to set reasonable limits on what she can and can't do with it and practice within those limits.
+1...I agree completely. I'm not sure she will be able to achieve CCW status, but that should NOT preclude her from training and learning to defend herself while in her home. I wish her the best.

·
Banned
1,890 Posts
I believe she should continue to train to protect herself in her home according to her capabilities. As for a license to carry outside the home, I would not be in favor of that. Are you even sure Kansas will license a legally blind person? Plenty to consider here.
+1!

·
Registered
587 Posts
I can shoot bullseyes on rifle targets that I can't see. If she can see basic shapes she ought to be able to shoot people she can barely see. If they give you trouble over licensing, consider hiring an attorney.

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
I can shoot bullseyes on rifle targets that I can't see. If she can see basic shapes she ought to be able to shoot people she can barely see. If they give you trouble over licensing, consider hiring an attorney.
Being able to trick shoot paper targets with your eyes closed hardly makes it sensible to license a legally blind person to carry a loaded firearm in public places and to risk the chance he or she will mis-identify a possible threat or fail to be aware of innocents in the line of fire. Is it even possible for someone legally blind to satisfy the training requirements for licensing? I'd certainly hate to see what the anti gun people could make of it if we start licensing blind people to carry concealed and something tragic does happen as a result. Being blind is very sad and blind people have all my sympathies but carrying a gun for self defense in public should require you to be able to see and identify your threat and the people nearby who could possibly be hurt as well.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Being able to trick shoot paper targets with your eyes closed hardly makes it sensible to license a legally blind person to carry a loaded firearm in public places and to risk the chance he or she will mis-identify a possible threat or fail to be aware of innocents in the line of fire. Is it even possible for someone legally blind to satisfy the training requirements for licensing? I'd certainly hate to see what the anti gun people could make of it if we start licensing blind people to carry concealed and something tragic does happen as a result. Being blind is very sad and blind people have all my sympathies but carrying a gun for self defense in public should require you to be able to see and identify your threat and the people nearby who could possibly be hurt as well.
She can just come to WA state and we'll just give it to her after she pays the ~$55 for it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you much for you thoughts and suggestions.
Even thought those against are diffictult to accept, they have some real thoughts for concern.
On the other hand, that was why I stated she would train within her limitations which is believe would be crucial.
Obviously, target ID is crucial here and that is the obvious difficulty here. It is the thing we are working on at this point.
It seems we are talking about a situation where the BG has already attacked and is totally identifiable. Her situation, may be little different than you and me having a confrontation in the dark.
As to the question, will the state allow a lisence; I don't know the answer.
At this point she is not prepared to carry in public even if she was lisenced, as she has had no training.
Please don't hesitate to share any other pros or cons weith your thoughts. Thanks, and God's blessings for the holiday.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think If she is interested and obviously understands her limitations than by all means give it a try......Good Luck....everyone has a right to protect themselves....

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Just curious as to why a firearm is the first choice. There are other options that are nearly as effective at stopping a threat that are also more forgiving in a misidentified situation.

Pepper spray, taser, hand to hand skills, all offer security but without the same liabilities as a firearm.

Remember, life threatening situation rarely occurs in optimum conditions. In low light with no contrast could she effectively target an assailant? Pepper spray allows for a broad coverage of an area and is quite disabling. A properly applied arm lock can break an assailants arm as well as their desire to continue an attack.

Not saying that she shouldn't consider concealed carry, but it should be considered after other tools are added to the tool bag.

Good luck and keep us posted on her decisions.

·
Registered
934 Posts
my dads friend was shot int he face last friday he is legally blind but can drive a car with BiOptics iirc its called.... he lost some teeth and they killed his Pug :(

he has not gotten his GFL yet but is carrying now in his jacket in a small GA town where no one would care if he had a permit either way :p

Dog killed, Home owner shot in face....

·
Registered
11 Posts
If a "Shall Issue" state issues a CCW based on a belief in the "rights" stated in the Second Amendment...........

I would simply like to know which "rights" granted under the Constitution we limit based on a handicap..........?

Or, am I missing something?

·
Registered
934 Posts
If a "Shall Issue" state issues a CCW based on a belief in the "rights" stated in the Second Amendment...........

I would simply like to know which "rights" granted under the Constitution we limit based on a handicap..........?

Or, am I missing something?

CCW= slave permission slip to possess weapons...........VT ans AK have it right

·
Registered
212 Posts
Go for it. If somebody comes into the house that isn't welcome there, it won't be hard to tell it's a BG. Just have her spend plenty of time practicing and figuring out what she is capable of.

·
Registered
806 Posts
You know...

There was once a town in...um...

There was this town, see? And folks there had issues with "Transient Criminal Activity". So the local Sheriff called for, and got, a law that mandated everyone in town to get their CCW (or equivalent).

Now the town had one gentleman who was blind as all get out, glasses, cane, and all. Everyone assumed his exemption from the law. Everyone except the Sheriff.

On the day for the Big Test, the Sheriff picked up the gentleman and drove him to the range. When they arrived, the Sheriff handed the gentleman a revolver and said, "This is a revolver. It is real easy to use, just pull the trigger."

The gentleman responded, "But I'm blind! How will I see the bad guy?"

"Simple," responded the Sheriff, "You don't have to.

"Let the bad guy get close, ram this gun into their chest and pull the trigger. If you are indoors, angle the gun up to let the bullet stop in the ceiling. If you are outside, angle the gun down to try and ground it. Try it on this target."

The gentleman tapped his way to the target and after some hesitation, he fired the revolver at a downward angle, penetrating the target, and making little puffs of dust close behind it.

The gentleman smiled and said, "Great, but now I can't hear either!"

He carries the revolver to this day, I imagine.

True story. I heard this one years ago in some newspaper, and never forgot it.

The only weakness you have is the one you allow...

:smoke23:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks again for all your responses. Without going into too much detail, I will answer some of the questions to the best of my ability.
Hand to hand combat is out of the quiestion as well as the training. Just trying to keep her mobile and active is the best we can do. You see, when you loose your sight, you also end up having to deal with new ways to keep you balance. Try holding one leg up in the air with your eyes closed. We work on semi rapid movement, but that is about as good as it gets. Also not that she can't really see where she is going.
Sprays seem like a possibility althought she may not have the mobility to use without wearing it herself. My thought line though is she will not recognise trouble 21 paces from her. The trouble will be upon her, perhaps not physically, but the problem will be right in front of her. There may not be opportunity to draw, but if there is, she will know where the problem is coming from. Like evilmonk wrote, it will be nearly contact range.

Around the home, she is very capable with pistol or shotgun. We have worked on how to determine if it is an assialant and safe areas within the house. She will wait for the problem to com to her.

rmodel65-I am sorry to hear about your dads friend. Hope he is doing well.

swatspyder-washington might be a good place to live, althouth it is closer to California than Kansas.

Thanks again, and Merry Christmas. May Christ always be in Christmas.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts