Defensive Carry banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,080 Posts
Little more info. The shooter was released pending investigation but car and weapon seized.

·
Registered
885 Posts
"but don’t trust Austin DA’s not to try to destroy the shooter "
^^^...absolutely! until we (the hard working, tax-paying, and reasonable citizens) start making our voices clear as to our expectations of government (and local politicians) concerning dealing with these "looters and rioters" we will see no change. Politicians react to public outcry, until we step up and voice our's, we will see no change.
The very real problem is the hard working, tax paying and reasonable citizens are becoming the minority in the larger more crowded cities and states. In 2017 over 44% paid NO INCOME TAXES?

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
As near as I can tell from just a few stories the now dead protester approached a vehicle that had been trying to get through a protest in the street on the driver's side while other protesters were beating on the vehicle.

The driver was dealing with many stimuli at once, and claims the now dead protester was pointing a gun at him, so he shot. No video evidence directly showing the encounter has been released, again, that I know of.

I find it hard to believe no one in that melee was recording it. If there is evidence the dead guy never brandished his gun my guess is fellow protesters would be tripping over themselves to get that to the cops. The lack of video coming forward, IMO, is likely because it corroborates the shooter's claim he was threatened. Time will tell.

Apparently the guy's fiancee's mother tried to keep them from going to the protest, but protesting was like a hobby. Now the fiancee, who is a quadruple amputee, no longer has a boyfriend but also lost her primary caretaker who had been with her for 9 or more years. They gambled, and lost. The rule of Three S's strikes again.

Different question path, though: my assumption is that it's illegal to be in the street impeding traffic, and beating on vehicles. If that's illegal does carrying a gun, not even brandishing it in the typical sense, equate to being an armed lawbreaker in the eyes of the law? Does this give people being accosted by armed protesters a legal leg up from the standpoint that they were being confronted by an angry person already violating the law and had good reason to believe that lethal force would also be used against them? In effect, is open carrying while committing a crime comparable to brandishing?

·
Premium Member
4,080 Posts
Yes saw the story about the girlfriend. How she says she tried to convince him not to go.
But go he did, and with a firearm. Though not illegal but apparently if the story is true he showed poor judgement as to where he pointed the muzzle in a very tense situation. Guess it was more important to him to support the cause, than take care of the woman he loves. No sympathy for him.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Yes saw the story about the girlfriend. How she says she tried to convince him not to go.
But go he did, and with a firearm. Though not illegal but apparently if the story is true he showed poor judgement as to where he pointed the muzzle in a very tense situation. Guess it was more important to him to support the cause, than take care of the woman he loves. No sympathy for him.
Apparently the fiancée is a big time BLM supporter and was there as well, as they both went to many protests together. It was her mother that had the good sense to try and stop them from going, and now she's going to be guilt ridden about not trying harder to stop them because a version of what she feared might happen did. If I feel sorry for anyone, it's the mother who is now facing the challenge of helping find care for her daughter, the quadruple amputee who kept going to these protests with her primary caregiver.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
The day he was shot and killed, Garrett Foster was interviewed live (having trouble finding it now) where he was questioned about carrying his AK. His words were, to the effect, "I can't use it against the Cops, so I carry it now, because the people that hate us, well they're too big of [email protected]#$es to do anything about it."

He thought he was a tough guy, went looking for a confrontation. Guess he found it.

·
Premium Member
4,080 Posts
The day he was shot and killed, Garrett Foster was interviewed live (having trouble finding it now) where he was questioned about carrying his AK. His words were, to the effect, "I can't use it against the Cops, so I carry it now, because the people that hate us, well they're too big of [email protected]#$es to do anything about it."

He thought he was a tough guy, went looking for a confrontation. Guess he found it.
Kind of shows his mind set. if true that quote explains a lot. I hope the shooting turns out to be justified.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
@graydude, that's an interesting question about whether it's legal to carry in a place you cannot be legally. In my state, stand your ground only applies if you have a legal right to be there. If the deceased guy in Texas was in the street illegally, and the same laws apply in Texas, it seems he would not have had a legal right to be carrying that rifle.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts