Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only thing it would not cover is if you sold a gun to your son, for example,” Bloomberg told radio host John Gambling. “Number one, I don't know how we would ever enforce that if it were the law. So to make a big deal about that's carved out, so what? It doesn't change anything.”

“Number two, I would argue if you want to sell your gun to your son, maybe you have a problem in your family,” he said. “Why don't you just give—I don't know if you should have a gun or not, but if you have a commercial transaction of $100 with your son, there's something wrong in your family.

Why do you feel the need to analyze everyone's family and their dealings with one another Mayor Big Gulp ?

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Because he feels the need to control.............everything.

Makes one wonder what he's lacking in his life.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
That Guy is out of his "FN" mind! Anyone who needs to stick his two cents into everyone elses family doings has a screw loose. I did happen to GIVE my Son one of my guns but I don't see anthing strange or improper about selling one to a Son or any other family member.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Care to adopt me? I could always use a new (to me) gun. :wink:
I gave my dad an old bolt action .22lr that my granddad gave me. Of course, it was so he could learn the mechanics and how to maintain a firearm. It still shoots and is still accurate. That was my ACTUAL first gun. I will NEVER give away my 229 or my m1 garand. Those are currently the only 2 I have right now, so sorry... no adoption this time. Maybe later though.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Yup, there for sure is something wrong with my family.

Haven't won the lottery where we could afford to give away things like that.

Maybe if the politicians that we pay and provide full health care to would work for free and pay their own medical coverage I could.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Well... If the headline is accurate, he's right, there is something wrong with you if you sell a gun to your son. You should just GIVE a gun to your son. Selling it is a bit....impersonal.
I have bought guns, tools and other things from my father before. He has also passed down a few firearms to me to keep them in the family.

Just because he is my father does not mean anything that I ever acquire from him should be free. That's just irrational thinking.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
My son's almost four and he can count fairly well, and I've started teaching him the value of money. We had a yard sale a few weeks ago and he sold some of his old toys, and with the money he was able to buy new toys. I showed him the cash and said he could buy whatever he wanted (age appropriate) from the toy store, as long as he didn't spend more than what he had. He bought three small Transformers and had three bucks and some odd centsleft over. He will get things for birthdays and Christmas and sometimes throughout the year, but I also intend to continue to teach him the value of money, because that promotes financial responsibility and appreciation and respect for what one has bought with his own work. Yes, parents sometimes sell things to their children. If Bloomberg considers that wrong, he can stick a Big Gulp straw in his eye.

·
Registered
51 Posts
As much as I can't stand the guy and hate his agenda, his point is being taken far out of context. He is saying not many fathers actually sell things to their kids for money. If my kid really wanted one of my guns, and had deserved it, I would just give it to them (after I had bought something similar to replace it of course). Is he being a complete jerk about the way he's saying? Yes!!! But what he's saying in this part of the quote is a tiny percent of transfers for things like guns in the immediate family involve money changing hands.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Bloomberg is the gift that keeps on giving. He has been a blessing, in disguise for gun rights advocates. He has been justifiable criticized as an elitist, but that elitism is turning off more people than his money can buy.

I love the transposition of two schools of persuasion. In Dale Carnegie's long time best selling book "How to Win Friends and Influence People", rule 1 of fundamental techniques in handling people is "Don't criticize, condemn, or complain.". Rule 2 in 12 ways to win people is "show respect for the other person's opinion.". Rule 4 is "begin in a friendly way.". Lastly, rule 8 is "try to see things from the other person's point of view". Clearly, Bloomberg has jot read this book, or needs to reread it soon because he blows all 4 rules.

Instead, Bloomberg went with the "Bully" persuasion technique, as pretty much every liberal is doing. It is as if it is he only argument technique they know or have. Start by insulting and name calling in order to shame, guilt, or pressure people into submission. This may work face to face in one on one or group on one situations, but mostly turns people off when done through tv or print. For all the dollars he has spent on gun control, his own elitist aura and mouth have undone any gains made by spending that money. Please, Mayor, speak your mind in your own blunt terms more often, it doing wonders for the opponents of your causes.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Well... If the headline is accurate, he's right, there is something wrong with you if you sell a gun to your son. You should just GIVE a gun to your son. Selling it is a bit....impersonal.
OTOH, I wouldn't give my kids (if I had any) a car, either. you go out, earn a buck, find out what that means, and feels like, come back, we can work a deal (at a substantial discount, they are kin, after all :D)

I can see for a very special occasion, but certainly not just to give them one.

Regardless of anyone's particular stance on that bit, bloomberg is still an idiot. Ill thank him not to cast aspersions on how folks families work their daily lives.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts