Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an electrician and I carry a lot of tools when I work. I cannot come up with an effective carrying means, while I'm wearing a tool belt.

About the only things that I think might work is pocket or ankle carry, not really fond of either. Sometimes I lift heavy things and I set them kind of in my lap as I try to get them up off the ground, so I'm worried that would put a heavy object right on the gun. Ankle carry, I don't know, slower to get to, also I'm on a ladder a lot and that puts my ankle at eye level to other people. Crawling around inside of cabinets and electrical gear would expose ankle carry to coworkers.

Anybody else deal with this type of carry conundrum?

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Inside your tool bag protected by being in a nemesis holster or I hate to say it, leave your gun in the truck

·
Registered
136 Posts
You may want to look in to a shoulder holster, or a holster shirt. I have a few of the holster shirts by abetterholster.com and like them a lot however if you bend a lot at the waist I found that it is possible for the gun to fall out (no retension strap. I have the Galco shoulder rig and like it and with either one of these you could still wear your tool belt. OMO.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I agree w/ tns0038

Inside your tool bag protected by being in a nemesis holster or I hate to say it, leave your gun in the truck
But I will add one more idea. I have suppliers and customers in my car alot. Some of them poke around, open the console or the glove box. They usually have a legitimate excuse. I don't want them to see a pistol (especially while I am working) so I keep my car gun (Kel-Tec P3AT) in a Nemesis holster inside a purple Crown Royal bag. That way no one can see what's in it. Anything to cover your weapon in the tool bag will work. I also have my carry weapon (PF9) in a small zipped bag, that was made to carry one of those small portable hard drives. It fits perfect there and if I'm not wearing it, no one knows whats in the case.....

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
I have a buddy that carries a tool pouch as a Plumber.

He had a zippered pouch sewn to the backside of one of the tool pouches. The gun is in a little zippered bag, sort of like a Wilderness Safepacker, but fits the dimensions of his leather tool pouch. His draw is a little slow, but it beats not having a gun.

He had to downsize from the 4" .41 Magnum to a Kahr PM40 to be able to carry while working. The J-Frame Revolvers were too bulky as well. The Shoe Repair shop sewed the nylon pouch on his leather tool belt for a couple of dollars.

Biker

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Keeping the pistol in my tool bags is not an option. Because of my foreman duties, I frequently take off my bags to attend meetings, coordinate people, etc. I have eyed the holster shirts, before.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I used to use a leather day planner. I took everything out and added in two pieces of foam to keep it's shape and hold the pistol in place. No one ever questioned me on it's contents.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I'm a jobsite superintendent and sometimes even for me it is difficult to carry out my work while packing a gun around too. I completely understand your challenges. I'm sure it seems like no matter what you're doing, a pistol just seems to get in the way. There's no way you can carry a gun inside your tool bag or bags, somebody will steal it. Most tradesman dont even dare to lay a tool down and walk away for 5 mins or their tools grow legs.

The only suggestion that I have is to wear a good tuckable IWB. Get some suspenders for your tool pouches and leave your waistbelt a little loose. The weight of your tool bags will be supported by the suspenders but the belt should be loose enough as not to clamp your gun to your side. Accessing your gun will be difficult at best with all this crap on but atleast you have it with you.

As much as it may hurt, sometimes we go places that just dont allow us to carry everytime. Even I leave mine at home when all else fails. Good luck and be thankful you have a job right now sparky.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I don't do much electrical work any more but if I did, I would probably add a pocket on the inside of my klien dump pouch which carries my meter and wirenuts, gournd crimps, etc...

of course most of the time, unless I am just needing a variety of tools I would fill my pockets with the tools I need and carry one of those cheap nail aprons with staples, wirnuts etc... so I can understand why the pouch thing wouldn't work...

One could spend the money on a kangaroo carry and or some holster shirts, I would probably wear some kind of undershirt or underarmor to try to keep some of the sweat off of the holster method. I would probably pocket carry something also or instead.

You could if so inclined go smart carry, its not for me but works for many...

You could go to cargo pants to give you an extra pocket or two, one could with a little sewing ability hem a couple of slits inside the cargo pocket, enough for an 1&1/2" elastic velcroed band (around the leg) which could weave through and give a holster a little more security, then insert an LCP of J frame (advantage J frame here because of excessive dire and moisture)... you could crawl under houses, in attics, up ladders, on the floor, kneel and/or sit in the truck and no one would know. And you would still have other pockets available plus be able to wear toold belt... perhaps we should market this... Could do one in each pocket and then you could carry left or right or both. Two lightweight 38's may work really well. Shark tank anyone!

·
Registered
286 Posts
I used to use a leather day planner. I took everything out and added in two pieces of foam to keep it's shape and hold the pistol in place. No one ever questioned me on it's contents.
:hand10: I like that Idea....Might have to borrow it.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Try a hidden in plain sight approach: Michael Kole Designs

Back when I worked as a carpenter's flunky, I carried IWB appendix -- underneath the tool belt, under the rain gear, under outer clothing. It was basically inaccessible in those circumstances, but it wasn't left in an unsecured vehicle (shared truck) all day, and I didn't go to work without it. The nice thing was that I always had a good solid framing hammer, a boxcutter, a sawzall, and all sorts of other useful weapons readily to hand. The firearm was simply there for when I was off the job site and had removed my tool belt.

pax

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Is it possible to wear cargo style pants, and use the side pocket with a good pocket holster?

I've been wearing cargo shorts/pants for a while now. I've found they give me a lot of carry options.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I think the holster shirt is a great option. A smaller gun like a LCP or a P11 just disappears. Wear a button up shirt and you are good to go.

I carry my LCP in my cargo pants pocket when I wear them and it also is unnoticeable. It does not weigh much. If I had to choose between a .380 and nothing I choose a .380. Something to think about.

Something like this may work for you. I am in simular situation.

Holster Shirt V-Neck | Concealed Carry | 5.11 Tactical

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I have also a holster by abetterhoslter and I find that my glock 26 pokes me in the back of my arm. I have not tried it while PPK or Seecamp .32 When I pull the shirt down it is much better until the fabic slide back up. I do not know if the fabic will relax after time or with more washings. As silly as this sounds I feel that I need the old fashion straps that hold up your socks but use they upside down to hold the shirt down.
Going out to dinner tonight, if the wife gives me a button down shirt to wear will try it with the ppk.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
I use a tool belt and finally came up with a solution. I bought a gear pouch that attaches to my tool belt. It has a zipper on it. I carry my 642 airweight in it. A heavy gun just wouldnt work. It's actually easy to get to the gun.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I worked as a carpenter before, i used tall work boots that fit snug well up over the ankle, then i used a good ankle holster with a .38 snubnose strapped right above the boot and the boot would keep it up. then make sure your pants are long enough to touch the back sole of your shoe and you should be fine, my brother wears these redwing workboots that where pull on like cowboy boots, he could fit anything down there under the leather and with the pants over you would never see it

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Keeping the pistol in my tool bags is not an option. Because of my foreman duties, I frequently take off my bags to attend meetings, coordinate people, etc. I have eyed the holster shirts, before.
Yep, keeping a pistol in your bags is a BIG no no, truck is out as well.. I leave the keys in the truck that way if my truck needs moved the operators don't have to waste time finding me. I never worried about accessing a gun when my bags were on, plenty of available CQC weapons... framers hatchet, chisel, screwdriver, etc. I opted for pocket carrying a P3AT, worked well for me.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Pocket carry might be your best option.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
CrossBreed tuckable IWB style holster.

I am a field service mechanic, and I carry a full size auto all day every day @ 4 O'clock.

I have not had a problem with tool belts, Tac Vest (I use it as a tool carrier when I have to work on something that going back and forth to my truck is not easily done and the area is confined) and a Japanese Slingshot (OSHA fall protection harness).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts