Defensive Carry banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a full length steel guide rod (Jackashcustom.com) to replace the cheezy plastic one that came stock on my CZ. The only tiny asthetic issue is that my gun is a polycoat black and the guiderod is polished steel.

What would be a good and easy (idiot-proof) way to blue or somehow blacken the guide rod to fit in a little better. I'm not a gunsmith, I don't know the terminology, so I need something with clear instructions.

Help?

·
Premium Member
25,481 Posts
Actually any cold blue might do.

Oxpho, 44/40 - all will give an adequate result - IF - prep'ing is scrupulous. That means a very gentle wipe/rub with 0000 steel wool, not to scratch but just allow blue to ''take'' better, then max degreasing.

Carb cleaner, acetone, even alcohol will do but then do NOT touch areas to be blued with fingers.

Let part warm up to warm - hair dryer will do - then apply repeated coats with gentle 0000 rub down between each. That takes off a small amount but by about application #6 you should see some depth coming along.

Once done - try and keep exposed area treated with CLP, RIG etc cos it will corrode more easily and - the bluing will rub off over time if friction on it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts