Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
We area already overrun with wild swine - at least in the middle and south of this country. They devastate our local golf courses, digging up huge areas of turf looking for grubs.

Reactions: Sister

·
Registered
508 Posts
Interesting read. I thought this was a problem only for some of the southern states.

We can't hunt them here in Kansas. Can only shoot them if causing a problem. And no harvesting. Have to leave them lay and rot. I assume that you can at least move them to the closest hedgerow so they aren't rotting in the middle of the field...

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
If they get to my part of PA I will buy a rifle. I love M1s.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
We can't hunt them here in Kansas. Can only shoot them if causing a problem. And no harvesting. Have to leave them lay and rot. I assume that you can at least move them to the closest hedgerow so they aren't rotting in the middle of the field...
What is the reasoning behind this? In Colorado they're considered an invasive species, no seasons, no limits, get all you want.

·
Registered
33,980 Posts
Interesting read. I thought this was a problem only for some of the southern states.

Deposing of is not harvesting.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I keep several traps set from Sept thru July. It's a rare weekend that I don't trap several, and even rarer that I trap nothing. It's also common to have multiple hogs in the same trap. No way to keep up with the population growth - they're like illegals - reproduce faster than rabbits. Several of our dedicated hunters tried the hunting method, but quickly discovered that the hogs were a lot smarter than they were. Actually, that's where I'm headed tomorrow. I just rebuilt two badly damaged traps, and they need to start earning their keep.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
We area already overrun with wild swine - at least in the middle and south of this country. They devastate our local golf courses, digging up huge areas of turf looking for grubs.
Oh, they aren't looking for them. They are finding them!!!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Its illegal to hunt them for comsumption here. At least last time I looked at the regs. Closest place to me I can hunt them for food I'd a bit over an hour south, in OK. I'm sure theres some farmers out in the sticks down here on the south end of the state that do kill them for food. But, me being stuck as a city boy at the moment, I'm not too sure I could do that. Not to mention, all my contacts down that way are pretty old. I'd have to do a lot of work to get them back up to where I'd feel comfortable asking g to hunt on their property. As OldVet mentioned, we can dispose of them, however....

·
Registered
935 Posts
Its illegal to hunt them for comsumption here. At least last time I looked at the regs. Closest place to me I can hunt them for food I'd a bit over an hour south, in OK. I'm sure theres some farmers out in the sticks down here on the south end of the state that do kill them for food. But, me being stuck as a city boy at the moment, I'm not too sure I could do that. Not to mention, all my contacts down that way are pretty old. I'd have to do a lot of work to get them back up to where I'd feel comfortable asking g to hunt on their property. As OldVet mentioned, we can dispose of them, however....
Missing out on some good meat by not at taking the backstraps - no "processing" required.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts