Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you using a BOB...what "essential items do you have in there. How much extra ammo do you pack? Do you store your handgun in a holster in there or at least have a holster in it? i am thinking it would be a good idea to have a paddle holster for quick deployment if need be in there or attached to the gun. Also a good medium sized flashlight and first aid etc. Give me suggestions. I think old Santa may bring me a bag. :santaclaus:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Here is a neat little place that I found and have done business with before.

A lot of this stuff you can do yourself though.

SurvivorMall.com - Home Survival Kits

Doesn't hurt to check it out though.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well Thumper...based on that reference, I guess mine is a "get me home" bag. A handgun, light, knife(s), multitool, ammo, blankets, first aid, etc. Maybe I should gear it toward that as my request. Make my BOB an at home thing. That would be way too much to keep in my vehicle.

Please no flames about keeping a gun in my vehicle....I am weighing the risks and considering them.

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
I have several 'go bags'. Their contents vary depending on use.

The one I use the most has a spare 1911, holster & magazines. It also has a cleaning kit, spare Surefire light, extra batteries, Glock field knife & trauma first aid kit. This bag does NOT stay in the truck!

I also have a cold weather 'go bag' that has winter stuff in it. Extra clothes, socks, water, power bars, extra jacket & boots. I also have a bunch of Hot Hands warmers in it. This bag is only in the colder half of the years & it stays in the truck for half the year. This is the largest bag.

My summer 'go bag' has same contents as above, but with warm weather clothes.

My summer & winter bags I have used frequently when work unexpectedly keeps me over night away from home.

Another bag I use is for travel when I have a long gun aboard....it's setup for shotgun, Winchester 94 or AR. Contents are related to the long gun that is being carried. I keep extra .30-30 rounds, shot shells, buck shot & AR magazines. Cleaning kit for all three & spare parts for the AR.

The last bag I keep year round has a large first aid kit, 2 surplus blankets, flares, rope, gloves & rappelling harness. (The last item I actually needed one time & DIDN'T have one! A car had gone off an embankment & I had to tie one using rope. If it happens again, I don't need to waste time coming up with a makeshift one.) This bag is in the tool box in the truck all the time.

I split the bags up this way to avoid one HEAVY bag, instead I can grab just what I need & not lug everything at once.

·
Registered
342 Posts
lots of good info, i really need one in my tornado shelter.

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
I thought I was fairly prepared and organized until I entered this thread. Sorta reminds me of the tempo following the Cuban Missile Crisis.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a 72 hour kit for my family. I includes food , water and clothing. As well as extra ammo and a knife or two. Also have sleeping gear and the ability to make more water.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I wasn't sure what a B O B was until I went to the site that Thumper suggested and looked at all the stuff you need for a B O B. Yeah I got one but we call it a motor home.

Jim

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like how goawayfarm is thinking. My problem is a limited budget to stock multiple bags. When my finances are better...I might go with his approach. I am leaning toward leaving an extra handgun in the truck. I am in the line of putting people BACK in prison after they think they are free (probation/parole). I have worked from one end of the state to the other and can run in to former "clients" and families at any time. I need something for defense 24/7 for the times I may run out and forget my EDC or have a malfunction, etc. I am considering a vehicle safe, for that fact. Mine will be a sort of Emergency situation/active shooter bag.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Well Thumper...based on that reference, I guess mine is a "get me home" bag. A handgun, light, knife(s), multitool, ammo, blankets, first aid, etc. Maybe I should gear it toward that as my request. Make my BOB an at home thing. That would be way too much to keep in my vehicle.

Please no flames about keeping a gun in my vehicle....I am weighing the risks and considering them.
That is a comprehensive list and if you took it all you might just want a motor home! :rofl:

Nobody said you couldn't just use the list for ideas though. :rolleyes:

My BOB is a Maxpedition Malaga Gearslinger and I do have a spare gun in it. :wink:

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was looking at Maxpedition Versipacks. If Santa doesnt bring one I may just save my sheckels and buy something similar to your gearslinger.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I know you want no flames about keeping a firearm in a vehicle-, I agree that you might run into some bad people in your line of work and should be prepared.

one thing for everyone to watch out for:

Under federal law, it is illegal to poses a firearm or ammo within 1000 feet of a school. (there is a exemption for state ccw license holders). If there is ever a possibility that a wife/son/daughter will drive your car to or near a school, it is wise to not have any firearms or ammo stored in it. Taking your firearm/ammo BOB in and out of your vehicle sounds like a smart plan.

It is easy to forget about that box of ammo under the back seat, "dad, can i borrow your car?", drives to soccer practice, forget ammo, bam felony and expulsion.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Geez, am I in trouble. Mine is a six-pack and a bag of Fritos.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts