Defensive Carry banner

Bobbed hammers

5K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  Old_Dog 
#1 ·
Has anybody bobed hammers themselfs? Have a new to me sp101 da/sa and was thinking about taking the spur off for better CC. Anybody done this and pics would be great.

#2 ·
...I have the factory bobbed DAO SP101...no cocking notch...I don't fire a revolver single action...DAO is quicker and safer in high-stress situations...bobbing a hammer yourself gives you the option of cocking with what's left...but makes it more difficult to uncock safely...AIWB, a hammer can be uncomfortable...in a belt holster, not likely so...a good gunsmith can bob the hammer and take the SA notch out so that you end up with a smoother DA action and it's worth the money...

#4 ·
I am thinking of shortening the spur on my Colt 1911, as it rubs me a bit in IWB, being always carried cocked and locked. I won't ruin the original satin nickle, but get a stainless hammer so it polishes out and won't need bluing or pickling to avoid corrosion.

Reactions: Snub44
#8 ·
Can you put a Commander hammer on a full-sized 1911? I would think so, but I'm not sure.

#10 ·
OP, I bobbed the hammer on my SW 637. It's not the finish quality of a professional gunsmith by any means, but the 637 is a utility carry gun and I wasn't going to spend 50 bucks to have a pretty bobbed hammer for a butt ugly airweight (Don't ask me why I use Ahrend's grips on my 637, though. Penny wise, pound foolish).

Here are some pictures. I used a dremel to cut and smooth, and then blued the the exposed surfaces to get rid of the steel. Took about an hour, mostly because I really didn't have a clue other than watching the Midway video.

Gun Trigger Revolver Starting pistol Wood
Gun Revolver Firearm Trigger Starting pistol
Bicycle part

#12 ·
Wear eye protection when using the Dremel abrasive cut-off wheels. Use them at the highest speed. They can break easily if you don't have a steady hand and those pieces will go flying at an extremely high rate of speed. So do not use them without eye protection.

Reactions: BugDude
#14 ·
...good point, however, in the case of the SP101, the manuf. also bobs it...and it's not likely to be lighter than theirs...
...Ruger doesn't like to let their hammers out they want to factory fit them...Numrich had some...not now...I've not found one online yet...

#15 ·
Bobbing hammers has been around a long time. I had the hammer bobbed and cocking notch removed on the only taurus I ever owned and it worked great.

#17 ·
...I left the cocking notch on my M60 years ago, and had grooves cut on the top of the hammer edge so that I could start back the hammer then cock it...never used it...waste of effort...even holding it and taking finger off the trigger and easing the hammer down...was iffy...your way is 100% safe...when I do others that I'm looking for, it'll be to DAO them like you did...

#19 ·
...any competent gunsmith can do it...which I'm not...wouldn't tamper with the innards myself...once you've bobbed the hammer, just don't ever attempt to cock it would be my advice...I've never changed springs in a weapon...but instructions to do that should be easily found online...many have said it's a noticeable improvement on the SP's stock trigger action...

#23 ·
I have never had a problem with a regular hammer. I am a long time revolver guy and only bought my first snub nose with a covered hammer this year. I am in the habit of placing my thumb over the hammer when I draw from pocket or belt and never had it hang up on my clothes. Think twice before bobbing it if you are like me and sell and trade guns every time they get dirty. :) May make it a little harder to sell or maybe easier. Hard to tell but a home job may not turn out as expected and lower the resale value. The SP101 is large for a snub nose anyway. Get a LCR. I have two of them. :)

BTW, stupid me had a SP101 with a factory bobbed hammer. First I ever saw and the last. I got it in a trade and sold it immediately as I found it too heavy compared to my LCR's but it was a thing of beauty and sometimes regret selling it. I always can find a use for a revolver in some drawer in the house or a glove compartment in a car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.