Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had intended I buy the LCR in .327 Fed Mag….but I found an LCRX in Fed Mag for $50 less with free shipping and no CC on GB.
All of my carry revolvers are either “hammerless” or bobbed.

What is everyone’s opinion about bobbing the LCRX in this case?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
i suggest a lot of caution......was under the impression that the LCRx hammer is an mim part.....and bobbing such would destroy the integrity of the entire hammer.....

would suggest you contact ruger and inquire about such bobbing operation....and if you decide to do it anyways, then inquire ahead of time about the availability/cost of a replacement hammer just in case.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I may want to add, that I don’t pocket carry the LCRX. If I pocket carry, it’s a J-Frame. The LCRX is a bit larger, pretty much the same size as my Agent D-frame.

·
Registered
7,518 Posts
I bobbed my MIM on my Model 64 snub with a Dremel...no problem. Folks have done it with an MIM many times and no problems, factory does it, gunsmiths do it...we don't have a good 'smith 'round here, so we do our own stuff. Taped the gun up to keep dust out and it took me less than 5 mins.
I only bobbed one of my 3 snubs...the crossdraw benefits from it...I'd leave the hammer for possible longer SA shots if I only carried one.

·
Registered
7,400 Posts
Before bobbing I would look around to see if someone with a 3D printer could make you a shroud along the lines of the Colt snubs! And if successful the two of you could have a new business venture! It appears the gun has a minimal hammer and where the poly meets the metal would hold the front of the shroud. The back would go under the grip. DR

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
Just because it's been done successfully on some brands doesn't guarantee success on the LCRx.
The hammer requires a certain amount of mass to be reliable. Some of that might be compensated for with a spring change; maybe. I think your best bet would be to consult with Ruger. They may even be willing to do the work in their own custom shop. At least you might get more definitive advice on the metallurgy or if it's been done before. Certainly worth a phone call.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I had intended I buy the LCR in .327 Fed Mag….but I found an LCRX in Fed Mag for $50 less with free shipping and no CC on GB.
All of my carry revolvers are either “hammerless” or bobbed.

What is everyone’s opinion about bobbing the LCRX in this case?
I'm going to go against the majority consensus here and say no. Or, if you do, find a hammer first, and work on that. The hammer is a Ruger only part, and I have no idea how hard those parts are to find.

I understand the thinking behind wanting hammerless or bobbed hammer DAO defensive carry revolvers. I've kind of moved to thinking it's nice to have, but doesn't matter all that much if I don't have it.

I'd been wanting an LCR for a while. What finally showed up at a local FFL in February during the height of the recent gun panic/famine was a .38 LCRx, so I got that. And the hammer turns out not to matter that much to me.

·
Registered
7,518 Posts
Numrich lists an LCRX hammer...shows one to be in stock...might call them but it might be an old page.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I understand wanting a concealed hammer, but the gun looks low profile to me. Have you done dozens of draws with it? You ever get it caught on your clothing? If you don't get it caught, leave it as is.
I agree with @Hoganbeg, that if you change the mass of the hammer, you might get things like light primer strikes. If I was doing the project myself, I would have a spare hammer and different weight springs before shaving anything off the existing hammer. That way, after extensive function testing, if it doesn't work out, you can go back to the original design.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts