Defensive Carry banner

Body types: Fat v. skinny v. medium, etc.

5K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  purple88yj 
#1 ·
Warning, if you are skinny, you might find the next line disturbing! :)

I'm 6'2", 340 lbs. Got Dunlop's disease with the worst just above the waist. Getting my belt to engage my hips is a tricky and elusive procedure. Weight of a cell phone, no problem. Weight of an H&K USP, different story. To hold that up, I have to take in the belt 1 2 or 3 notches, depending on IWB v. OWB. The butt of the gun is constantly being pushed out, causing it to print. Patterned shirts help a lot. Deep/low IWB carry is not an option for me, because it is painful. High rise carry makes the firearm flop around like a flounder.

My usual methods of carry in order of preference are fanny pack, IWB/OWB behind hip, belly band positioned around the chest (firearm under arm). Usual weapon is either the H&K or a Taurus 85CH .38.

I frequently hear skinny guys complain about it being difficult for them to carry, especially IWB, but I see it as easier.

What I'd like is a new and revolutionary type concealment holster that overcomes my obstacles, but is still convenient, comfortable, unobtrusive, and accessible.

I'd love to hear about other's trials and tribulations. What works and what doesn't.

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow. A fellow medic, has a .40 USP and is also a member of team hugh jass.

We might be brothers.... :smile:

I find that the most important item is the belt. A purpose made gunbelt is crucial, and makes all the difference in the world.

Check out the Instructor Belt from Wilderness Tactical Products: http://thewilderness.com/catalog/pr...id/36?osCsid=4403565187cc56438af9d07e3e505b54

I have a pair of these, one wide and one narrow. The 5 stitch narrow sporting a Brommeland OWB holster makes my 1911 disappear under a slightly oversized t-shirt.

A good, stiff gunbelt will take care of the flopping problem. I'd suggest starting there first.

Matt

#3 ·
Hi Matt!

I feel a connection...the force is with us.....

Yeah, I've got some good belts, just not the will to cinch them up enough!

On another note, this thread should probably have gone under "holsters". Anyone know how to do that?

#4 ·
I'm a small frame guy who prefers, large frame guns. I used to weigh 35 to 45lbs more than I do now. I am now 5'-10" and only weigh 150lbs, a car accident, due to an idiot running a red light, put me in the hospital, some years back. I lost around 70lbs and have never been able to gain all the weight back. Anyway this causes, problems carrying a large frame gun, I've found the best way for me is in a shoulder rig, with a button down shirt over it. As you would expect, this gets hot during the summer, my only other comfortable option is OWB, with a compact. IWB, would be too uncomfortable for me I think, but I'm still looking into trying that option.

#7 ·
Howdy Paramedic & welcome aboard! I would suggest that you try a bit lower riding holster - Hi-Rides don't work well for most people, and the "Dunlap" just makes it worse. If you add a pair of suspenders, it might help keep yer britches up, too! (I've got a similar problem - chronic dunlap and acute nobutt syndrome). Good luck!

#8 ·
IWB carry was uncomfortable for me until I got a good thick belt. Its amazing how much support one of those will give. I got lucky b/c I have almost the perfect build for iwb carry - about 5'11'' and around 200 lbs. and a shitload of that weight is in the shoulders. Its more of a challenge for people that dont have a "cookie cutter" body type but its definately possible once you find a setup that works. My buddy is around 6'1'' and goes maybe 170 lbs. soaking wet and he carrys his xd .40 subcompact in a small of the back holster and you'd never know its there. Try MANY different holsters, everyone has a preference. It'll take a while to find one that works but that just comes with the territory. I've got a whole box of ones I dont use. For you I'd suggest a shoulder rig If you want the most comfort, but you gotta wear the over shirt so If its toasty out your gonna feel it.

#9 ·
Hey Gary, I went to your site, I carry a shoulder rig in nylon, most of the time. I didn't see any of those rigs on your site, but the products I did see looked to be of very high quality, especially for the price. Any thoughts in the future of making shoulder rigs, or do you make them now and I just missed them? A nylon rig, with a large frame gun in it tends to dig into the shoulders, leather I think would be better, but most of the leather shoulder rigs I've seen are way too pricey.

#10 ·
Para, have you tried different positions for IWB carry also? I'm 6' 175lbs so I'm on the slimmer side of the scale but I have found that carrying at my 130-2:00 position to be the most comfortable and easiest spot to carry in. Moving to the hip side or back side more changes the position of the butt enough to make the whole thing stick out and be somewhat uncomfortable. Up front on me makes everything tuck right in and the rig becomes transparent in a simple t-shirt.

#11 ·
I had the same problem you have. I carry in one of Gary Brommelands Max Con V's with a good belt, a great combination for normal folks. Us "Portly" folks however, have a southbound britches problem. I solved it with a superb pair of suspenders from Perry Suspender Co. ( www.perrysuspenders.com ). Good price and the best of MANY types and styles of s'penders I have had. They attach to the belt with a nifty clip and are a cinch to position as needed. They also can be disconnected from the belt easily allowing trouser lowering without removing any outer garments.

#12 ·
I have the same disease. Most likely caused by too many adult sodas and lathargy.

Being 5'10" 215lbs I went through several holsters until I found my Bianchi. Its cant is adjustable, and I screwed that thing around until I found the right fit. Now it all but disappears under most any clothing and after about ten minutes, you forget that it is there. I have used this holster almost exclusively for the last 11 years. I need to find a couple more of them for my 1911.

The pistol I have carried in that holster is a Taurus PT-101. Not a small gun at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.