Defensive Carry banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have had one of these stored away in my "collection" for years. i put it down when it first lost its sharpness, i tried and tried to sharpen it, but it never seemed to work.....(i was 14 then) so my question is: would it be worth me going to buy a tri-stone or some other sharpener for this knife?

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Hey - welcome aboard :smile:

I am not the knife guru round these here parts but - have yet to find a blade that I could not bring back to life with a decent edge.

I have a choice of various stones and devices and find often it just takes care and patience tho - will admit - I usually never quite get that absolute ''ultimate'' edge that I see on a brand new blade.

Tri-stone approach should work IMO - but I do not know that knife and wonder about the blade's metallurgy - quite a difference between good carbon steels and stainless re taking and holding an edge. Some as with carbon steels can be taken to a ''wire'' edge which when finally taken off leaves a razor sharp edge - others like some stainless will never form a ''wire'' and just have to go to a progressive better and better finish.

Others here know way more than me tho on the knife stuff.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks.

well i think im going to go ahead and buy a tri-stone while im in town today, if not for the boker, i can atleast use it on my fixed blades.

ps. it says its "soligen stainless steel":

"BOKER Gemini

Designed by Germany's Dietmar Pohl, these versatile knives sport a formidable 3 3/8" Solingen stainless steel blade, durable ABS handles, belt/pocket clip and lanyard hole. All will open and close with one hand and weigh only 3.2 ounces. Length closed 4 3/4"."

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i picked up a tri-stone today and it helped a bit, i'll check out that link in a bit.

thanks for the tip.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts