Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking over all my handguns including my serious 9mm carry guns and thought I would share some of my thoughts about the best looking, most comfortable shooting, never malfunctioning, etc., CZ PCR (Police Czech Republic) 9mm.

I removed the steel magazine butt plate on all my 14 round magazines and am using some very nice, hard plastic, “Canik” butt plates. On the 16-round magazine, I am using an item that was sold by CZ USA which put a sort of rubber spacer on the butt plate area of the magazine to use in the CZ Compact models. CZ does sell some very nice hard rubber butt plates that are better than the stock steel plates, but I really like these old Canik items.

The CZ sights were slightly modified with just simple white paint dots on them. The original configurations were a little “skimpy”. The gun comes with some great, semi sticky rubber grips but I opted to install these very nice wood grips from CZ.

Several years ago, I started my CZ experience with a Canik 9mm which was a copy of the CZ all steel Compact model. Within a few months, I had a full-size CZ 75, an all steel Compact, a Rami, and this PCR. I have sold them all but this PCR, which isn’t going any place.

My “truck door” gun is currently a Glock 19 in a padded case (LCP in my pocket), but this PCR is the gun I usually drool over and enjoy shooting at the range (it draws a lot of attention/sort of a “barbecue” gun).

The PCR is just too nice to get marked up carrying it around in my truck (or end up in a Police property room in case there is a serious social situation that I may encounter).

Please share your thoughts and first hand CZ experiences.

Trooper Joe

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I had a PCR some time ago along with 5 other CZ's. Only have one left, a P-07. They were all good pistols but I'm fickle and have moved on to mostly H&K's and of course 1911's, the 1911's will always be in my lineup

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
PCR is agreat little gun....nice choice

·
Registered
790 Posts
Beautiful pistol! I've always thought the PCRs were great looking guns. And from holding them, they sure do feel nice in the hand as well.

I used to have a CZ-75 B, and while I liked it, I eventually traded it off for something else. I think it was the sights more than anything that I couldn't get used to. As you said, they were pretty "skimpy," and I didn't feel confident in changing them myself. Very nice gun otherwise, though.

I've thought about getting a PCR and having it fixed up by the folks at Cajun Gun Works. Man, I bet that would be nice! Still may someday.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The pcr is one of my favorite pistols. I just added the CGW ultralite kit yesterday to it and my 75bd and 97bd.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,345 Posts
Great gun! I have one as well, and the only change to mine is wood grips. I typically carry a j-frame or a Combat Elite Defender, both of which fulfill my needs, depending on weather and dress requirements, so I don't carry the PCR.

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
I prefer the weight of the steel frame. I also like the smooth line on the steel frame compared to the stepped increased width on the alloy frame. And then I like the option of a frame mounted safety vs. a decocker. The PCR may have a slightly better trigger. That is until I lightened and smoothed the trigger on my compact.

Those grips look fantastic. I went with the not so sexy G10. The CZ is so darn accurate. It is my favorite pistol at the range.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"I used to have a CZ-75 B, and while I liked it, I eventually traded it off for something else. I think it was the sights more than anything that I couldn't get used to. As you said, they were pretty "skimpy," and I didn't feel confident in changing them myself. Very nice gun otherwise, though."

All I did was to paint over the existing "nite/glow" sights with white paint. I now have a three white dot sight system which I prefer over night sights anyway.

When I was looking for a PCR, they were really hard to find. I found this one, new in box, at a little country store in West Michigan. Got it for $440 and even told the check out clerk that it was supposed to be $540. They insisted it was $440 even after checking with the gun guy in the back of the store.

Oh well, I paid a little more for another pistol I picked up at the same time so it sort of evened out.

Trooper Joe

·
Registered
214 Posts
The "PCR" is an excellent choice in my opinion (as is the "P07"). I've carried one for many years off and on. The P07 feels more like a 1911 (grip angle) to me so I tend to carry it more (for the capacity over the 1911). The "PCR" is one pistol I will never part with and a "classic" firearm in my opinion, like the 1911 "Commander". Great choice!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Beautiful pistol! The contrast between the grips and the finish really makes it stand out. I recently purchased a CZ-75B Omega and have been impressed. It is a very easy pistol to shoot accurately. I'm not sure why it took me so long to finally buy one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
When I read the title of your post, I pictured you sprawled out with your PCR on a bear rug in front of a raging fire LOL :rofl:

They are quite something though...

·
Registered
755 Posts
I’ve had two CZ/affiliated pistols. Don’t know why, I like every one that I’ve seen. Really should have more. OP, that PCR is beautiful. Once again begs the question why I don’t have more CZs in the stable. Just wasn’t in the right place at the right time, I guess.

Both the ones that I have are of Nazi origin, captured by my grandfather.

CZ Duo, for some reason I don’t have a picture of mine that I can find, but this is what it looks like. .25 cal. pocket gun that absolutely fascinated me as a kid, so my grandfather made sure I got it. I had no idea how marginal the .25 was, to me it was the coolest thing ever made. Great build, but a bear to disassemble.

Secondly, a Spreewerke manufactured P.38. Technically not a CZ, but I believe that the company had something to do with its production in the Second World War. Very well built, like the Duo. (Bottom)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
I’ve had two CZ/affiliated pistols. Don’t know why, I like every one that I’ve seen. Really should have more. OP, that PCR is beautiful. Once again begs the question why I don’t have more CZs in the stable. Just wasn’t in the right place at the right time, I guess.

Both the ones that I have are of Nazi origin, captured by my grandfather.

CZ Duo, for some reason I don’t have a picture of mine that I can find, but this is what it looks like. .25 cal. pocket gun that absolutely fascinated me as a kid, so my grandfather made sure I got it. I had no idea how marginal the .25 was, to me it was the coolest thing ever made. Great build, but a bear to disassemble.

Secondly, a Spreewerke manufactured P.38. Technically not a CZ, but I believe that the company had something to do with its production in the Second World War. Very well built, like the Duo. (Bottom)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice duo. I havent gotten one yet. I do have a cz45. It's also. 25acp

·
Registered
294 Posts
I had a couple PCR's over the years and really appreciated them, but wound up selling them because I could never find decent holsters for them. Yes I know there are some holsters available, but they were not what I wanted.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had a couple PCR's over the years and really appreciated them, but wound up selling them because I could never find decent holsters for them. Yes I know there are some holsters available, but they were not what I wanted.
I have the same issue with my pcr. I prefer owb leather. Galco combat master holsters are usually my go to. For iwb I like galco summer tuck. I have a owb kydex holster from Neptune , but I just can force my self to like it.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Love a CZ. I've been looking into PCRs lately....well, since acquiring my 75B Convertible in trade.

Just an outstanding firearm.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts