1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
3 :toilet:

Practical Shooting Beyond Fundamentals

By Brian Enos

This Book is not a CCW type book but will help you shooting.

My main Complants are the book is Dry and there not a flow to the writing. No when i say dry im a repair tech and can read tech manuals with no problems so when i say dry its dry..

Section 1: Awareness & Focus

this is a slooooww Chapeter maybe for a newbie shoot its great i see his point but i know the whole be the ball just be the ball thing (from caddy shack)

Suppose it would be the bullet become one with the bullet.

Section 2 Tools of Shooting:

This is a chapter on the techniques and fundamentls of shooting pretty basic.

section 3 Creative Shooting:

This one is more of a be the bullet chapter and talks about focus..

Type 1 Single target at extreem cloase range high speed shooting

Type 2 Multiple targets at close range extreme high speed shooting

Type 3 Standard practical shooting medium range multiple targets speed limited by the diffculty of the targets and the size of scoring surfaces.

Type 4 Multiple difficult closely spaced targets..

Type 5 Very diffcult shots accuracy more important than speed

This is the basics of the type of focus you should use for the targets and then goes into it farther much to long for me to type here...

Rember be the Bullet be one with the Bullet..

Section 4 Specific Challenges

basically a Chapter on how to challenge yourself shootin Multiple Targets.. Single hand shooting Weak hand transfer .. Going prone as fast as possiblekneeling and barricade shooting.

Drawing and also running and gunning

Section 5 Competition

i wont go into this here cuz it really dont matter unless you compet

Section 6 Development

This is more towards competition but has some good ideals for some training ..

This is a short review but lot of it doesnt matter in CCW and some of it could be very bad and get ya killed if you decide to train for competition onlt will give you some bad habits.

Brian Enos

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
I proofread tech manuals. If it is drier than a tech manual that is really dry. :tongue:

Sounds like it is almost Zen like with the be the bullet comments you made. :biggrin:

Sounds like maybe Brian wrote it with no help from a professional writer then?

-Scott-

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im adding the be the bullet comments but thats how it made me feel ... think he would have been better off using them than the way he discribes it

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I have read passages of his book. I peruse the chapters and look for items that can help my shooting but it does not go down easily.

~A

·
August 19, 1970 - June 2012
100 Posts
Brian's book is very 'Zenny". I generally reccomend:

Surgical Speed Shooting by Andy Stanford

then

Shooting From Within by J. Michael Plaxco

then

Practical Shooting, Beyond Fundamentals by Brian Enos.

///////////////////////////////

SSS is a simple, plain language coverage of the topics involved with shooting from the Mod Iso platform.

SFW is more technical, but in a Western friendly, very logical progression.

PS,BF is, as has been stated, much more "Zenny" and ethereal.

I think they are all worth reading, but most people who have read all three have found this order to be beneficial.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I also have the Brian Enos book...have never quite been able to stay awake long enough to get all the way through it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It's the shooting book that Jedi Master Yoda might write. Enos has studied Zen philosophy. In the credits for the book, you'll see he does draw from sources like Zen in the Art of Archery.

Brian isn't a defensive or tactical shooter at all (nor does he claim to be). He's a competitive athlete who happens to compete in shooting sports.

After I read the book, my competitive shooting did get better . . . Mostly because I applied some of the visualization methods that he advocates in the book.

I have become a Modern Isoscoles stance shooter in the last year. Enos is part of the wave of competitive shooters who introduced and proved the competition value of the modern isocoles stance. Enos spends a good amount of time describing the Modern Isoscoles methods in this book but I think Andy Stanford probably breaks down the methods into beginner's language better.

·
Registered
167 Posts
As an IDPA competitor the Brian Enos book has helped me more than any other. I have read, highlighted and reread it several times. When I finally "floated the gun" in a match I really felt the time I had invested in the book were rewarded. Not a ccw type book, but great for competitors.

·
Registered
141 Posts
It's about IPSC - competition.
"The better you get the more it makes sense what Brian is talking about."
"It's also been called a book written by an IPSC Grandmaster Class shooter that you have to be an IPSC Grandmaster to understand."If there would be one book only, it would be the one.

Now if you want something CCW -how to deal with bad guys style you definitely picked the wrong book.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Okay, I feel better now after seeing all these comments. I use the book and have learned from it, but I do have a hard time reading it. I thought it was just me. I'm too literal for all the "snatch the pebble from my hand, Grasshopper" Zen stuff. Don't get me wrong, I WISH I got it, but I can't.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts