Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not turned a single page in any of these books, but ppl I highly respect have recommended all of these titles.

If you have read any of these, please give some feedback as I am sure many of the other members here are interested as well.

~A

1. Handgun Combatives by Dave Spaulding
2. Gunshot Wounds by Vincent J. M. Di Maio
3. Principles of Self Defense by Jeff Cooper
4. No Second Place Winner by Bill Jordan
5. Surgical Speed Shooting : How To Achieve High-Speed Marksmanship In A Gunfight by Andy Stanford

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have not read any of those, but an excellent, albeit dated book, is Massad Ayoobs' In the Gravest Extreme. Excellent info.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had heard that is a good book, didn't he complete an update to that book?

~A

·
Registered
742 Posts
Review

APachon said:
I have not turned a single page in any of these books, but ppl I highly respect have recommended all of these titles.

If you have read any of these, please give some feedback as I am sure many of the other members here are interested as well.

~A

1. Handgun Combatives by Dave Spaulding
2. Gunshot Wounds by Vincent J. M. Di Maio
3. Principles of Self Defense by Jeff Cooper
4. No Second Place Winner by Bill Jordan
5. Surgical Speed Shooting : How To Achieve High-Speed Marksmanship In A Gunfight by Andy Stanford
Spaulding...good read, good information, and Dave is a good guy.

Di Maio...should be read by all who choose to carry. My copy sits between books by LaGarde and Geberth.

Cooper's Little Red Book is a classic. Must read. Sits between In Gravest Extreme and Shooting to live, on my computer desk.

Bill Jordan, another must read classic, by a great gentleman. Get chills just reading the comments from the best, Keith, Mann, Roberts, Steindler, Skelton, Nonte. Mine is almost worn out, sitting between books by McGiven and FitzGearld.

Do not know Andy Stanford.

There are a lot of quality books out there, and a lot that are rehashes of books written by others. Find the originals.

One fairly new book is 'The Modern Technique of the Pistol', by Greg Morrison. Forward by Cooper. Published in 1991.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the insight KC135. Much obliged.

~A

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
The Andy Stafford Book is pretty good..

in process is
Practical Shooting by Brian Enos

Havent Read yet but Sitting here is

Unintended Consequences by John Ross
The Tactical Advantage by Gabe Suarez

Tactical Pistol Marksmanship By Gabe Suarez

Gonna Try and get matt Burkett's Dvds next payday granted geared little more towards the shooting Games but sure theres some good info ..

·
Registered
742 Posts
Ayoob has written several books. In The Gravest Extreme was first published in 1980. Stressfire in 1984, Stressfire II in 1992. Three or four others also.

No update I am aware of for ITGE, except the one Ayoob tells me is in his head.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My must-have list would be four Gabe Suarez Books:

(1) The Combative Perspective : The Thinking Man's Guide to Self-Defense
Publisher: Paladin Press (September, 2003)
ISBN: 1581604041

(2) Tactical Pistol Marksmanship: How to Improve Your Combat Shooting Skills
Publisher: Paladin Press (November, 2001)
ISBN: 1581602782

(3) Tactical Pistol : Advanced Gunfighting Concepts And Techniques
Publisher: Paladin Press (January, 1996)
ISBN: 0873648641

and

(4) Tactical Advantage : A Definitive Study Of Personal Small-Arms Tactics
Publisher: Paladin Press (March, 1998)
ISBN: 0873649753

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pryo, who are the authors of those books?

~A

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Bud.

~A

·
Registered
75 Posts
I highly recomend "Unintended Consequences" by John Ross. While this is a work of fiction, It is also a real eye opener. A must read for any serious shooter!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just tried to order two books from Amazon and it is saying my credit card number does not exist:ugh2: . Funny Brownells just allowed me to order some parts with no problem with the same exact card. :eek:uttahere

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Had that happen the other day with my cc when i was ordering something ... ordered same thing 5 mins later from a differnt place and it went right though

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the thing is Amazon has some amazing prices on a few of the books I have been recommended. I was and will be trying to capitalize on their prices.

~A

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
cool, please let me know how you like it. I just finished reading three non-gun related books the wifey got me for X-mas. Time to get some gun-related books.

~A

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
I bought a copy of "Surgical Speed Shooting" from Andy Stanford last October...he was in Colorado to teach a 2 day course on, of all things, Surgical Speed Shooting. It was geared toward people who didn't have a tactical training background, so I fit right in :redface:

I had a great time....it was both affordable and educational. Was suprised at how much I didn't know about the handgun I'd been shooting for years :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts