Defensive Carry banner

Boolits, a Charter Arms Bulldog 44 Special, and gas checks

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  PAcanis 
#1 ·
I've taken the jump into cast boolits. For starters, I'm going to be shooting these LSWC out of a Charter Arms Bulldog. At what point do I need to worry about gas checks?

#4 ·
Just hold onto them and buy a couple of hundred coated bullets...try them and see how you like them. That coating really resolves most of the issues with leading unless you have an abnormally large bore or are REALLY pushing them fast. I have shot coated bullets up to over 1600fps without a trace of lead left in the barrel...and this is in a gun that I have never slugged the bore to find out the diameter...it is the best thing that has ever happened, for shooting cast bullets with minimal effort.

TIP: If you ever have leading in barrel, again...go to the grocery store an d buy a pack of Copper Chore Boy pot scrubbers. Take a pair of scissors and cut some strings of it and wrap a good quantity of them around a bronze bore brush and run it in and out of the bore...it will remove leading with virtually no effort. Normally, 8 or 10 trips through the bore will have it sparkling clean.

#8 ·
Why do you suppose you are getting so much leading?
I've had lead accumulate around forcing cones (.22 rimfire) and ported barrels (.44 magnum) where the ports are by the front sight, but never in the barrel itself.

#10 ·
I'm not. I just don't want to. Thousand burning suns and all of that. :biggrin:

Using gas checks is a good idea IMO, they let you run at higher velocity, you can use "soft" lead, or you can use very hard lead without leaving a huge leading problem. (yep, too hard of lead will foul just as badly as soft, if not worse)
I'm limited in this case by the gun they will be shot in. The Charter Arms Bulldog 44 Spec isn't going to move the lead fast enough to be a problem. If it is, I'll find out pretty fast. And it's a short barrel to de-lead.

#14 ·
I'm limited in this case by the gun they will be shot in. The Charter Arms Bulldog 44 Spec isn't going to move the lead fast enough to be a problem. If it is, I'll find out pretty fast. And it's a short barrel to de-lead.
The reason I said that was, you can get leading even at lower velocities because the harder the bullet the less it expands even at low velocities, allowing the gases to blow around the bullet softening it.

#15 ·
The reason I said that was, you can get leading even at lower velocities because the harder the bullet the less it expands even at low velocities, allowing the gases to blow around the bullet softening it.
That's why I like Missouri Bullet Co. You can choose the hardness. They have a below 850 and an above 850fps.
I've never experienced any leading in the bore using their bullets (in three different calibers).
I'm sure if you were casting your own you'd eventually dial it in by trial and error.

Reactions: OD*
#11 ·
My own experience with lead fouling has been that no matter what speed or lead hardness you have it can still lead if the bullet is not fitted to your bore. A tight fitting bullet will shoot cleanly at what ever speed you want [ with in reason.]

I had a revolver that was famous for lead fouling. I slugged the bore and my bullets were the correct size, But when I measured the cylinder throats I found two that were under size! After correcting those, I had no more leading. Those two cylinders were swaging the bullets under size. Once the lead fouling started each bullet left a little "Gift!" DR

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.