Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help. Not Psychiatric. :hand44:

I want some lace up 8" boots with a side zipper for on/off ease. I need removable insoles, great arch support, a large toe box, and a stiff sole to help with metatarsal pain management. I am shopping at Galls, and have looked at both Bates and Thorogoods. I don't want to pay the $$ for Danners (never have had them and never will at that price :lolp:). I will probably insert a Redwing ortho in-sole.

Does anyone with metatarsal pain have recommendations?

Other brands?

Many thanks!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I have a pair of Magnum 8" zip up side composite toe boots. They are the most comfortable boots I've ever owned (other than my cowboy boots). Have had them for more than three years of nearly daily shop wear and still going strong.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
When I was on the job I only wore Bates and Rocky's for duty boots. Both give great support (I have high arches) any thing else was painful to wear for 12+ hour shifts! FWIW, the Bates seemed to last longer than the Rocky's. Good luck!

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Administrator
143,573 Posts
I just thought of something that might just save the day for you....and your feet.

The NEW BALANCE PRESSURE RELIEF INSOLES IPR 3020

Check out theinsolestore.com

I just remembered that a local guy that I was going to hike with raved about them.

I just had a heckova time finding them because all I remembered is that they were by New Balance.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I prefer Rocky's or 5.11 and as for insoles "Superfeet". great support!

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I buy cowboy boots for work and they are the only boots that do not hurt my feet being on them all day. I don't have to put different soles in them or anything. I have a pair of Tony lamas and ariat best boots I have ever bought. But they definitely don't have zippers. Wish I could recommend something better. I have tryed danners and they hurt like hell after 2 months and red wing you couldn't pay me to wear them. Good luck

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
I would recommend getting orthotics for your boots , not the store off the shelf kind . If you have some decent insurance go to a foot Dr. and they will scan the bottom of your feet and make you a custom set for your boots or the shoes you wear most.

I can get 1 pair a year at a cost of about 70.00 and they make all the difference in the world .

·
Super Moderator
23,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@QKShooter!

I just thought of something that might just save the day for you....and your feet.

The NEW BALANCE PRESSURE RELIEF INSOLES IPR 3020

I just remembered that a local guy that I was going to hike with raved about them.

I just had a heckova time finding them because all I remembered is that they were by New Balance.
How great is that!?!?!?!?!?!

New Balance has a Factory Store 25 miles away!!!!!!!

I'm am going!

My feet may want to kiss YOU! :puke:

:lolp:

·
Registered
419 Posts
I've had good luck with the 5.11 ATAC boots. 8" side zip, Great water resistance, nice removable insoles. I can wear them for about 12 hours before I get aches... which is more than any other shoe/boot I own. The outer soles are not sewn on.. so once they're done they're done. About $100.

·
Super Moderator
18,414 Posts
Can't help with boot recommendations. I try not to wear them except afield.

Mrs. BMc buys these and they really do work for me.
https://www.happyfeet.net/product/ma...iquid-insoles/

The early product typically burst after about six months use and this was with daily wear though they were installed in Allen Edmond or Alden shoes and worn in an office environment. We provided them to our son while he was a machinegunner in the Marines. He burst them regularly in the field while training. Mrs BMc offered up a criticism to the company and they apparently improved the produced, perhaps partially as a result of her comments.

Some sort of slighly oily liquid leaked out when one of the Happy Feet failed. I've not had a failure now in several years.

Peripheral neuropathy is my underlying problem and nothing's gonna completely solve that, but the Happyfeet insoles help with comfort.

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Administrator
143,573 Posts
He bought a pair on my suggestion and seems to be not working out.
Maybe with replacement insoles his luck may change.
I agree that they are very comfortable for folks with no unique foot issues.
I have worn them all day long and well into the night.

I've had good luck with the 5.11 ATAC boots. 8" side zip, Great water resistance, nice removable insoles. I can wear them for about 12 hours before I get aches... which is more than any other shoe/boot I own. The outer soles are not sewn on.. so once they're done they're done. About $100.

·
Super Moderator
23,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am going to love the New Balance insoles. Really. Thick, cushioned, like my feet are caressed by Seraphim. Many thanks to @QKShooter

The insoles are so thick, the boots are being returned for a half-size step up. Then I'll give that a go.

Until then..........:31:

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I need some help. Not Psychiatric. :hand44:

I want some lace up 8" boots with a side zipper for on/off ease. I need removable insoles, great arch support, a large toe box, and a stiff sole to help with metatarsal pain management. I am shopping at Galls, and have looked at both Bates and Thorogoods. I don't want to pay the $$ for Danners (never have had them and never will at that price :lolp:). I will probably insert a Redwing ortho in-sole.

Does anyone with metatarsal pain have recommendations?

Other brands?

Many thanks!!!!!!!
Over the Beach make a boot like you want.. I have been beating on a pair for 2 years and they are good to go. I am pretty sure they are made by new balance. OTB boots are one of the best kept secrets around. Great boot and small price.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Try to find a store where you can try them on. I've found Magnums to be comfy, but don't last. Rocky's comfy enough, last longer, slippery on ice and snow. Tried on a pair of Danners and didn't care for them. Bates have been decent for me. Currently wearing Merrell.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
23,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
OK, here's a follow up. First, I bought a Size 10 5.11 8" ATAK Storm with an side zipper.

They did not help my Metarsal Pain. So, I took out the 5.11 insole and replaced it with a Redwing Metarsal Pain Management insole.

That did not work either, as now the size 10 were too small. :rant:

So, I pulled out the Redwing insoles, put the 5.11 insoles back in, and sent them back to Gall's, no question asked, in exchanged for a 10.5 boot.

Firm support, big toe box, stiff sole.

After three weeks now of wear, the first two weeks solely inside (see what I did there? :rofl:), the third week everywhere, I am very satisfied. Very.

My metatarsals are really happy. Really really happy.

So, for me (and boots are very personal) the 5.11's are fine, and Gall's excellent.

Time will tell if these outlast the winter and keep my feet dry and happy.

I take really excellent care of my boots, so this will be a true test.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts