Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished the new season of Bosch. We're really liking this series. There were 21 books so hopefully Amazon will green light several more seasons.
No spoiler here but one of the episodes in the new season reveals that Det Bosch has a safe in his home where he keeps a few items to supplement the Kimber he carries daily. One is a nice looking S&W Model 76 sitting front and center when he opens the safe. :)
For those with Amazon Prime who haven't watched this show it's a good one.

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
I have read almost all of the books and seen all the TV episodes. My reactions:
  • I like them both.
  • The books and the TV series are not very closely related in terms of their fictional "worlds" and it goes well beyond what was needed to transition from book to screen. The TV producers have significantly changed the Bosch character and jumbled around the other characters and his relationship to him. It's not that there is anything wrong with the TV series, it's just a completely different thing. I liked the books better.
  • I would love to have seen the original character and some of better books put on screen as written, especially "9 Dragons" which I think was the most memorable book for me. With Bosch's wife killed the way she was in the series, now they can never do "9 Dragons."
  • Small detail: The TV Bosch carries a Kimber Custom, which my reading indicates is only authorized for LAPD SWAT. The "book Bosch" owned one, but it was not his main carry.

·
Premium Member
3,978 Posts
Read all the books, & "like a junkie", I binge watch the series! (I'm on my second "watching" at a drawn out pace now) Thanks for the post! :35:

Reactions: OD* and OldChap

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
@MB53 You're right. We like the Bosch series and have finally gotten around to watching the new season. I like the series, even though, as others note, the books are significantly different.

I seem to remember reading somewhere, and my memory might fail me here, that LAPD officers who had served with a SWAT team and moved up by promotion to detective ( or?? ) could still carry the 1911. I also seem to remember that the 1911 the SWAT guys carry is the Kimber Custom TLE-RL II. I don't imagine they authorize but one version - but I don't know that for a fact.

My other favorite detective is "Homicide Hunter" ( Lt. Joe Kinda ), which is based on his career, who carries a Kimber in some episodes.

·
Super Moderator
21,915 Posts
I seem to remember reading somewhere, and my memory might fail me here, that LAPD officers who had served with a SWAT team and moved up by promotion to detective ( or?? ) could still carry the 1911.
Correct, it's that's same reasoning they give for Joe Mantegna carrying the HRT/SWAT Springfield Professional in Criminal Minds.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I read that the producers moved the timeline of the books forward 20 years for the TV show so current technology could be utilized.

·
Registered
317 Posts
It's pretty good entertainment although sometimes silly and often horribly miscast.
I recall one episode last season where Harry was looking at a shell casing. He said, "9mm; that's a cop gun." Really?
Mimi Rogers is pretty good as the sleazy lawyer, but Harry's boss could just as well be the waitress at the diner where Harry eats.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts