Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the G21 out today and ran 100 rounds of Russian steel through it. I have been collecting steel case lately due to pricing even though I was pretty well stocked already.
What I noticed most is I am finally shooting with both eyes open without having to think about it.

I know this is small news to most but, I have been working on this for some time and as long as I have a bright front sight my accuracy is fine. Can't do much about the ageing eyes but, this helps a lot.

All my handguns have big orange revolver style square front sights except my Walther but, I am working on that. Even the factory night sights on the Glock are surrounded by a large orange square now.
All black rear sights work best for me lately or just the little tritium dots which I don't even see in daylight.

Hitting gallon water jugs out to 25 yards this way so I am pretty happy about that.
Getting away from front to rear sight alignment has really helped my speed as well.

I know its probably a "Duh" moment for most of you but, its a break through for me.

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
Congratulation, not a duh thing for me I’m still practicing to point shoot. Are you using one or two hands?

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
double post, do not see ”delete” option?

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congratulation, not a duh thing for me I’m still practicing to point shoot. Are you using one or two hands?
I practice both one handed and two.

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
I practice both one handed and two.
That’s a good thing IMHO. I also practice left handed shooting (I’m right handed). The two handed was honestly more difficult due to growing up using one. I reckon it’s what you have already been doing for years will make things easier I believe. Seeing with double vision in each eye (4, 2 of in each) point shooting only makes sense.

From reading it sounds like you‘ve already adjusted just need to put in more time. :)(y)

Another option I chose was to use bigger bullets then you don’t have to be quite as good lol.

Reactions: forester58

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Good show, forester58. I still have to think about it - when I remember. Too many years behind me, I guess.

·
Premium Member
7,267 Posts
I spent some months seriously working on learning to keep both eyes open when I shot. I wound up with some roaring headaches and not one positive change. At my age it simply wasn't worth the pain......I went back to shooting one eyed the way I've always done.

Reactions: forester58

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Back when I played gun games an ole buddy of mine hounded me to shoot with both eyes open and I tried, for quite some time, to learn to shoot that way but never quite succeeded.

I could "shoot" with both eyes open but never could tell where I was shooting. My sight pictures would look good but far too often I was seeing the wrong picture.

Plaxco suggested putting a piece of 3M transparent tape on my LH lens to obscure my week eye vision while shooting. It worked great on the range but isn't worth a damn in a real life situation.

I'm back to squinting again.

If I were shooting slowly and deliberately I could shoot with both eyes open, but Not at speed.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
as long as I have a bright front sight my accuracy is fine. Can't do much about the ageing eyes but, this helps a lot.

All my handguns have big orange revolver style square front sights except my Walther but, I am working on that. Even the factory night sights on the Glock are surrounded by a large orange square now.
All black rear sights work best for me lately

I'm with you there forester58. In fact of all my carry guns, my 442 has my favorite sight picture. My K6S is a close second, once I blacked out the rear white dots

I've painted the front sights on all of my revolvers Traffic Cone Orange (nail polish) although it's not as quite as effective on the stainless ones.

I started off shooting with both eyes open when I was a pre-teen, so I didn't have to break any bad habits in that regard.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
I spent some months seriously working on learning to keep both eyes open when I shot. I wound up with some roaring headaches and not one positive change. At my age it simply wasn't worth the pain......I went back to shooting one eyed the way I've always done.
Try squinting one eye, and see what that does for you.

·
Premium Member
7,267 Posts
Try squinting one eye, and see what that does for you.
For well over 20 years, when I shoot, I automatically close my left eye. I am not even aware that I'm doing it. It works very well for me. Trying to change gave me the massive headaches I mentioned. So, ZAP, closed it goes like it always did before!

Since the intense concentration/adrenaline when shooting either competition or in a real SD situation gives you tunnel vision, I don't think I'm missing much in the way of peripheral vision with only one eye open.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I have always kept both eyes open but I have always been blind in my left eye. I guess that makes it a wash.

·
Registered
37 Posts
For well over 20 years, when I shoot, I automatically close my left eye. I am not even aware that I'm doing it. It works very well for me. Trying to change gave me the massive headaches I mentioned. So, ZAP, closed it goes like it always did before!

Since the intense concentration/adrenaline when shooting either competition or in a real SD situation gives you tunnel vision, I don't think I'm missing much in the way of peripheral vision with only one eye open.
Wasn't so much for peripheral vision ( Which will be helped ) as it was for helping you transition to both peepers being open. I'm old enough now that sometimes it looks like I shot with both eyes closed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts