Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a GunVault pistol safe a couple of months ago to keep by my bed. It's a well-made safe for the money. It's easy to use. It's attractive. I can feel the combination easily.

But there's one teensy little problem: Sometimes it won't open when I KNOW I got the combination right.

If I'm vertical, the XDS is in my pocket. When I leave the house, it's locked up. The only time I use this safe is when I actually get in bed at night. I'm terrified that if I) ever needed the pistol in a hurry, that stubborn safe will then decide that I punched in the wrong combination, even though I didn't. I've actually sat there and slowly and carefully pressed each button in the combination, and had it not open. I need/want a better solution. The only reason I use it is so that no one could sneak up and grab the gun.

Please don't suggest a biometric. Those make me nervous and I've heard some negative things. I guess I'm looking for a "non-safe" solution.

·
Banned
1,181 Posts
If you dont have young children you could you could attach a cheap holster to the side or back of your night table, or the headboard. Theres also a company that makes a mount that slides between the mattress and the bedframe. Me, I just put my holstered gun on top of the night table when I sleep.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Well you might go with a Ft Knox mechanical lock, they are solid and work well, have a question do you have kids and that is why you lock it up at night. I would think that getting the weapon fast I would not put it away at night when it may be needed. The only guns I would lock up are the ones that I am not carrying or not within reach. There is another one called shotlock thats mechanical and can be bolted to the bed and holds one pistol.

·
Premium Member
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I have two kids aged 14 and 10. They're very well-behaved, but kids can also be kids.....

It just bugs me to think that if someone ever kicked my door in and charged inside in the wee hours of the morning, I might be fumbling around trying to get the stupid safe to open. If that were to ever happen, I want it in my hand NOW. So I want a quick-in-the-hand solution that only I can access. Remember, the safe is only used when I'm in bed.

And I'm not convinced that a safe is even the answer.

·
Premium Member
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I
a) try a new password
Thanks for the suggestion, and I just did this. I think I'll like the new, simpler combo better. That should keep it secure from anyone grabbing it while I'm asleep.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have several and have had no problems with any of them. Nanovaults are great for the car too.

·
Registered
407 Posts
get a better safe, or dont use one. me i keep it in my holster in the nightstand. pull out the drawer unholster and good to go. got a 3 yr old but i keep em up in day time, and one hidden in the couch where i sit. she doesnt know its their and its where i always sit so if she is playing around she cant get to it.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Just me I guess but Im a firm believer safes are for guns that you arent going to need in a hurry. Great for keeping them from getting stolen. Just flat out dont trust anything between my firearm that I may need in a few seconds and me.

Reactions: FlaRon

·
Banned
12,068 Posts
At least once in my life there was a need for me to sleep with my gun on me while I slept. I had received a very disturbing phone call. I slept with my gun.

I live alone. No kids. Me personally safes are fine for guns you don't want right now. I just don't have 15-20 seconds to get my safe open when I want a gun RIGHT NOW.

I keep it close in my chair or in my bed.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
A few thoughts. Do you have a dog? Early warning should give you a few extra seconds at least. Second, harden your doors/frames so it takes more than one kick. And if the new combo still has problems, contact Gunvault. I had a problem with the battery on mine and they just shipped me a new one with a prepaid shipping label to send back the original. Really good experience.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I bought a GunVault pistol safe a couple of months ago to keep by my bed. It's a well-made safe for the money. It's easy to use. It's attractive. I can feel the combination easily.

But there's one teensy little problem: Sometimes it won't open when I KNOW I got the combination right.

If I'm vertical, the XDS is in my pocket. When I leave the house, it's locked up. The only time I use this safe is when I actually get in bed at night. I'm terrified that if I) ever needed the pistol in a hurry, that stubborn safe will then decide that I punched in the wrong combination, even though I didn't. I've actually sat there and slowly and carefully pressed each button in the combination, and had it not open. I need/want a better solution. The only reason I use it is so that no one could sneak up and grab the gun.

Please don't suggest a biometric. Those make me nervous and I've heard some negative things. I guess I'm looking for a "non-safe" solution.
Mine had worse problems... the battery life was zero, and sometimes it would just open if you banged on the top.

I pulled the batteries and both issues went away. Now instead of the keypad, I leave the backup key in the hole at night and just carry either the key or my gun on my person during the day.

·
Premium Member
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A few thoughts. Do you have a dog? Early warning should give you a few extra seconds at least. Second, harden your doors/frames so it takes more than one kick. And if the new combo still has problems, contact Gunvault. I had a problem with the battery on mine and they just shipped me a new one with a prepaid shipping label to send back the original. Really good experience.
I do have a dog, but she's completely useless as a guard dog. The simpler combination as suggested above seems to have fixed the problem.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yes, I have two kids aged 14 and 10. They're very well-behaved, but kids can also be kids.....

It just bugs me to think that if someone ever kicked my door in and charged inside in the wee hours of the morning, I might be fumbling around trying to get the stupid safe to open. If that were to ever happen, I want it in my hand NOW. So I want a quick-in-the-hand solution that only I can access. Remember, the safe is only used when I'm in bed.

And I'm not convinced that a safe is even the answer.
You bring up a question I have been working on for a long time. Lock them up in a safe (which to house my collection would have to be in the basement or garage (concrete mount)), neither of which is handy in a quick situation.

I'm sure many will say that I am being irresponsible having unsecured rifles, shotguns, pistols, and who knows what else. But to me, if the purpose is HD, I want to get access fast. Kids are 17 and 13 and not fond of poking around my various hidden areas, but I can get there fast.

I would like a good heavy safe to store a lot of expensive items to protect against theft (not only guns and ammo, but other valuables). But if I need protection, the loaded Mossberg is coming out from an easily reachable location.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I'm not going to bash you, but while you may not have to worry about your own children, their friends might not be as smart or responsible.

·
Premium Member
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You bring up a question I have been working on for a long time. Lock them up in a safe (which to house my collection would have to be in the basement or garage (concrete mount)), neither of which is handy in a quick situation.

I'm sure many will say that I am being irresponsible having unsecured rifles, shotguns, pistols, and who knows what else. But to me, if the purpose is HD, I want to get access fast. Kids are 17 and 13 and not fond of poking around my various hidden areas, but I can get there fast.

I would like a good heavy safe to store a lot of expensive items to protect against theft (not only guns and ammo, but other valuables). But if I need protection, the loaded Mossberg is coming out from an easily reachable location.
I use a 2-part solution. I have the real Cannon gun safe that houses all of my guns except one: the XDS. That one stays in my pocket (in a holster, of course) until I go to bed. Then it goes in the GunVault pistol safe next to the bed. When I leave the next day, it goes in a StackOn lock box.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts