Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a new shotgun today at my local gun shop....just went in to look around and what-do-ya-know....bought another gun (I'm weak).

Anyway I couldn't pass up the deal. Paid $100 for a Mossberg 500 12G with 18.5" barrel, holds 6 rounds, action worked smoothly, finish was about 85%. It'll make for a good home defense gun. Not sure on the year (does anyone know?)

I'm not a huge fan of the brown wood stock and forestock or the tan butt pad, but for the price and condition I couldn't say no. Does anybody have any recomendations for upgrades on the stock set? What is a good place to look online?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Man I wish I could find a deal like that. That would be a perfect truck gun for me.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
What a deal. I'm with you, can't beat that price.

Best places online (off the top of my head) would be www.cabelas.com and www.cheaperthandirt.com.

Cabelas probably has more choices, but if you can find something at cheaperthandirt, it usually lives up to its name.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
SWEEEETTTTT!!!!!!! That was a good deal. I have been a eyeing a Moss persuader at my local shop. It is only $210 brand new.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Great price.
I picked up a old 870 for 79.00 at the pawn shop my son work's for,
It cleaned up real nice.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The good old Mossberg 500 outstanding shotgun,I have two. And there great for home defense. I have never had a problem with both of mine.
Congratulation. :biggrin2:

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
My Mossberg is an 835. It'll take 3 1/2 mags. They are good for turkeys and causing shoulder pain. The one I have is a Crown Grade which, as far as I can tell, just means it has a gold trigger. I've been happy with it. It's not perfect, but it doesn't jam and it fires when I pull the trigger.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I got a cheapie 500c in 20G 4 years ago - hard to not buy these when prices real low. You sure just HAD to get yours - oh yeah!

I bought a synthetic stock set from someone on a board - forget make but - lots of options for the Mossy's. Just look around. I think ATI does a set which is not too spendy, and easy to fit.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the input. I purchased a Hogue Overmolded combo kit for the mossy 500 for a price of $38 at ultimate outdoors.com.

I'll post before and after pics after I get the gun cleaned up and updated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
WJP9 said:
Picked up a new shotgun today at my local gun shop....just went in to look around and what-do-ya-know....bought another gun (I'm weak).

Anyway I couldn't pass up the deal. Paid $100 for a Mossberg 500 12G with 18.5" barrel, holds 6 rounds, action worked smoothly, finish was about 85%. It'll make for a good home defense gun. Not sure on the year (does anyone know?)

I'm not a huge fan of the brown wood stock and forestock or the tan butt pad, but for the price and condition I couldn't say no. Does anybody have any recomendations for upgrades on the stock set? What is a good place to look online?
If I'm not mistaking thats a standard issuse LEO Shotgun or wait, I think thet may use the Rem 870??

·
Registered
82 Posts
After the stock upgrade, you might want to think about a Tac-Star Sidesaddle shell holder too, oh yeah, a heat shield is nice too. My 500 wears both and a 5 shot butt cuff. 11 rounds handy and accessible, I've got the 7+1 model. Nice choice and super deal!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey Guys...here's the new addition to my collection. Mossberg 590 special purpose.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts