Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a new shotgun today at my local gun shop....just went in to look around and what-do-ya-know....bought another gun (I'm weak).

Anyway I couldn't pass up the deal. Paid $100 for a Mossberg 500 12G with 18.5" barrel, holds 6 rounds, action worked smoothly, finish was about 85%. It'll make for a good home defense gun. Not sure on the year (does anyone know?)

I'm not a huge fan of the brown wood stock and forestock or the tan butt pad, but for the price and condition I couldn't say no. Does anybody have any recomendations for upgrades on the stock set? What is a good place to look online?

· Registered
1,685 Posts
SWEEEETTTTT!!!!!!! That was a good deal. I have been a eyeing a Moss persuader at my local shop. It is only $210 brand new.

· Registered
237 Posts
The good old Mossberg 500 outstanding shotgun,I have two. And there great for home defense. I have never had a problem with both of mine.
Congratulation. :biggrin2:

· Registered
6,960 Posts
My Mossberg is an 835. It'll take 3 1/2 mags. They are good for turkeys and causing shoulder pain. The one I have is a Crown Grade which, as far as I can tell, just means it has a gold trigger. I've been happy with it. It's not perfect, but it doesn't jam and it fires when I pull the trigger.

· Premium Member
25,596 Posts
I got a cheapie 500c in 20G 4 years ago - hard to not buy these when prices real low. You sure just HAD to get yours - oh yeah!

I bought a synthetic stock set from someone on a board - forget make but - lots of options for the Mossy's. Just look around. I think ATI does a set which is not too spendy, and easy to fit.

· Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the input. I purchased a Hogue Overmolded combo kit for the mossy 500 for a price of $38 at ultimate outdoors.com.

I'll post before and after pics after I get the gun cleaned up and updated.

· Registered
30 Posts
WJP9 said:
Picked up a new shotgun today at my local gun shop....just went in to look around and what-do-ya-know....bought another gun (I'm weak).

Anyway I couldn't pass up the deal. Paid $100 for a Mossberg 500 12G with 18.5" barrel, holds 6 rounds, action worked smoothly, finish was about 85%. It'll make for a good home defense gun. Not sure on the year (does anyone know?)

I'm not a huge fan of the brown wood stock and forestock or the tan butt pad, but for the price and condition I couldn't say no. Does anybody have any recomendations for upgrades on the stock set? What is a good place to look online?
If I'm not mistaking thats a standard issuse LEO Shotgun or wait, I think thet may use the Rem 870??

· Registered
82 Posts
After the stock upgrade, you might want to think about a Tac-Star Sidesaddle shell holder too, oh yeah, a heat shield is nice too. My 500 wears both and a 5 shot butt cuff. 11 rounds handy and accessible, I've got the 7+1 model. Nice choice and super deal!!!

· Registered
68 Posts
Hey Guys...here's the new addition to my collection. Mossberg 590 special purpose.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.