Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been on a waiting list from my LGS for a Shield for over a year now. Actually, I forgot I was on the list. In the meantime I had purchased a KelTec PF9.

When I got the call about the Shield I took a look at it and bought it.

My comparison of the Shield and the PF9 are the same as what I have read other places on this forum. The Shield is just a hair bigger, and just a little heavier. The PF9 was never fun to shoot, it is very snappy and has a very uncomfortable trigger. The Shield on the other hand is a joy to shoot.

However, I didn't buy either gun to be a range shooter, I bought them to be a self defense weapon. The truth of the matter is that the PF9 NEVER failed to go bang when I pulled the trigger, and I'm sure that it was fine for what I purchased it for.

I guess I'm feeling guilty because I read so many negative comments by internet warriors about the PF9 that it put doubt in my mind and therefore I bought the Shield when the opportunity presented itself.

Somehow I just feel more confident in the Shield, even though the KelTec was flawless in it's performance.

On the plus side, now I own both !!

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I have been on a waiting list from my LGS for a Shield for over a year now. Actually, I forgot I was on the list. In the meantime I had purchased a KelTec PF9.

When I got the call about the Shield I took a look at it and bought it.

My comparison of the Shield and the PF9 are the same as what I have read other places on this forum. The Shield is just a hair bigger, and just a little heavier. The PF9 was never fun to shoot, it is very snappy and has a very uncomfortable trigger. The Shield on the other hand is a joy to shoot.

However, I didn't buy either gun to be a range shooter, I bought them to be a self defense weapon. The truth of the matter is that the PF9 NEVER failed to go bang when I pulled the trigger, and I'm sure that it was fine for what I purchased it for.

I guess I'm feeling guilty because I read so many negative comments by internet warriors about the PF9 that it put doubt in my mind and therefore I bought the Shield when the opportunity presented itself.

Somehow I just feel more confident in the Shield, even though the KelTec was flawless in it's performance.

On the plus side, now I own both !!
This is the best part. Now you can get real world experience with both and form your own opinion as opposed to going on those of others. Later if you decide the KelTec isn't to your liking, you can always sell it. You can rest in first hand experience and not have any regrets.

·
Registered
311 Posts
They are both good cc guns. I like my pf9. I continue to love my shield. Every now and then I will carry a different gun just for the hell of it, and I always miss my shield. You shouldn't feel guilty at all. Though the pf9 is a good gun, the shield is a higher quality firearm.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Kel-tecs are hit or miss. I just got a good one in my p-32 and would buy a pf-9. But looking for a shield to compliment my 9c. Ive shot a p-f9 and didnt think it shot bad. Not a range gun by no means but a good carry gun. Enjoy both of yours. Im sure they will fill a role in your carry needs.

·
Premium Member
6,585 Posts
I have had good luck with my keltec p3ats. But they dont have a good reputation.

The M&Ps do. The one to trust your life to seems to be the M&P.

I look at your carry gun like a sword. You sure dont want it breaking in the middle of crunch time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have had good luck with my keltec p3ats. But they dont have a good reputation.

The M&Ps do. The one to trust your life to seems to be the M&P.

I look at your carry gun like a sword. You sure dont want it breaking in the middle of crunch time.
Agreed.
I WOULD TRUST MY LIFE AND DO WITH MY SHIELD 9mm. I LOVE THIS GUN.
RELIABLE. COMFY. FEELS LIKE A FULL SIZE. SUPER EASY TO CONCEAL, IT'S AMERICAN, and...well... it's a SMITH AND WESSON!!
Lots of industry professionals carry and/or trust this gun. I also have 2k rounds through mine and not one hiccup.
My favorite new CCW pistol. Sexy trigger too.
I'm looking for a second Shield now, too. I feel bad for these people that have been waiting a year! I got on a waiting list and waited 3 weeks!
I'm sure you can find one if you just really try to look!

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
Nothing wrong with two good guns. I also bought a perfectly good PF9, and then later picked up a PM9 at a pawn shop, just because it was a good deal and I've always wanted one.

Yea, the PM9 is way better in quality and more pleasant to shoot, but I'm not about to sell a reliable PF9 just because it's been out-classed.

·
Registered
10,311 Posts
Now you just have to choose which one is your BUG!

Personally, I think "very snappy" and "very uncomfortable trigger" are good enough reasons to upgrade. Either of these things make it harder to hit what you're shooting at, which experts agree is an important thing to do.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
My wife loves her Shield. The only problem we've had is that the front sight dot popped out. I later found out that there were a lot problems with that happening (probably fixed by now). Since my wife wanted night sights anyway, I just used Glow On & painted the sights. Works just fine.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Be free my brother from another mother! You will dig your Shield and probably soon forget about the Kel-Tec leading you to trade it in on another firearm. I dig mine...it's a blast to shoot. It chews em up and spits em out!

·
Banned
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now you just have to choose which one is your BUG!

Personally, I think "very snappy" and "very uncomfortable trigger" are good enough reasons to upgrade. Either of these things make it harder to hit what you're shooting at, which experts agree is an important thing to do.
That's a very good point, thanks for mentioning it!

·
Registered
10,311 Posts
That's a very good point, thanks for mentioning it!
Sure! Actually I would also have great confidence in buying a S&W. Of course you should test it - every manufacturer make some mistakes - but they have great customer service, from my limited experience, and that also helps them hold their value well.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I just got a Shield today too! Compliments my 45c and may replace my LCR for summer carry...

·
Registered
6,377 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
I would take them both to the range and shoot them with the same number of rounds. Whichever you shoot better should be your gun. Sell the other one and have no regrets.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
If that is all you have to feel guilty about I say you are doing pretty good!

Enjoy them both!

·
Banned
2,725 Posts
I've never gotten used to depending on a small auto for CCW. My carry gun is a Smith and wesson 642 with no lock. I completely trust a good small revolver over any good small auto loader, but that's just me. I do own a lot of small auto loaders but I always go to the 642. decide and make ur own decision based on what u feel is best for you.

·
Registered
188 Posts
It seems S&W is catching up on the backlog. I walked into my local Fleet Farm a few weeks ago and they had both the 9mm and the .40 in the case. As I was purchasing the 9mm, another guy said he was still waiting for his to come in at Gander Mt. That same day, I stopped over at a local gun shop and they had a 9 in stock also.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Not a range gun by no means but a good carry gun.
And that statement scares me. If you aren't going to put a lot of rounds through a gun to get proficient, and stay proficient, with it then it shouldn't be your carry gun (in my opinion). The PF9 hurt my hand so I didn't want to shoot it. My wife hated the feeling of her hand being hurt by it and then didn't want to practice, practice, practice with it. So we got her the Shield 9mm and she started practicing more, spending more time with it at the range, because it didn't hurt. It was fun to shoot. And now, over a year later, she decided that she liked, and shot better with, my Ruger SR1911 so she took that to be her carry gun (go figure). So I went out and bought an SR1911 Commander to replace that one so I still had a 1911 too.

But the real moral of the story is - train with what you carry. If you can't stand to shoot it a lot for training, get a different one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts