Defensive Carry banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the Dixie Gun and Knife Classic in Raleigh today. I wasn’t looking for anything in particular but this is a nice large show and you just never know what you may find. I have always had a fondness for the Mauser C-96 and lucked on a very nice one in 7.62X25 or .30 Mauser, a rather hot round for its time. Being the price was very fair and the gun and its bore were in fine shape I quickly snatched it up. Now I just need to find where I put the stripper clips for my Bolos and it’s off to the range for a test drive. The only problem is I haven’t been able to find an IWB holster for it yet.

As an aside while ammo prices are still in the stupid range some prices have come down, I did find some ARs for less than$1000 but Aks were still in the $900-$1000 range. Even found a Ruger SR1911 the vender was asking $750 for.

Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Air gun
Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel
Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel

Mauser C96 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Model 1896 Mauser Broom-Handle

·
Super Moderator
20,257 Posts
When I saw the thread title, I knew exactly what you had bought!

Those are great old guns, both mechanically and visually fascinating. Nice find!

·
Super Moderator
19,267 Posts
We'll yessir! I am so envious. I've long wanted one of those but never gotten around to picking one up. Even when they had the cheap imports from China or who-knows-where in the "Shotgun News" years ago.

Have had opportunity to shoot a C96 on a few occasions and they feature surprisingly great ergonomics, at least for me. The 7.63 Mauser cartridge is no slouch on velocity even if a bit light in the bullet. Way outclasses .32 ACP and .380 ACP.

This Broomhandle Mauser is not being fired with black powder. A friend of mine let me fire his, loaded up with cast lead bullet handloads. The smoke is from the bullet lube. The gun ate 'em up. Very reliable function was had from the C96 Mauser that weekend with those handloads.

On the other hand, my brother-in-law bought a clunker Broomhandle Mauser from a pawn shop a few years back. It had issues. He didn't tell me what they were before I shot it when I was at his house. It rat-a-tat-tated! The trigger disconnect had some sort of wear problem which rendered this example effectively the "Schnellfeuer" model. As neato as the gun and design is, he took that one back to the shop for a refund.

·
Super Moderator
20,257 Posts
Have had opportunity to shoot a C96 on a few occasions and they feature surprisingly great ergonomics, at least for me. The 7.63 Mauser cartridge is no slouch on velocity even if a bit light in the bullet. Way outclasses .32 ACP and .380 ACP.
Ages ago - I think I was in my early teens - the Southwest Pistol League was running the early combat shooting matches which were reported monthly in Gun World magazine ( a gun rag which was ahead of its time with good writers and subject matter). I remember seeing broomhandle Mausers fairly frequently in the pictures of the matches, alongside a lot of 1911s and an occasional wheelgun. I got the impression they were pretty popular for that game, which is consistent with the good ergonomics Bryan describes.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Went to the Dixie Gun and Knife Classic in Raleigh today. I wasn’t looking for anything in particular but this is a nice large show and you just never know what you may find. I have always had a fondness for the Mauser C-96 and lucked on a very nice one in 7.62X25 or .30 Mauser, a rather hot round for its time. Being the price was very fair and the gun and its bore were in fine shape I quickly snatched it up. Now I just need to find where I put the stripper clips for my Bolos and it’s off to the range for a test drive. The only problem is I haven’t been able to find an IWB holster for it yet.

As an aside while ammo prices are still in the stupid range some prices have come down, I did find some ARs for less than$1000 but Aks were still in the $900-$1000 range. Even found a Ruger SR1911 the vender was asking $750 for.

View attachment 72409 View attachment 72408 View attachment 72410

Mauser C96 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Model 1896 Mauser Broom-Handle
Do they make a Cross Breed Super Tuck for that???

·
Banned
2,647 Posts
Nice buy. A friend has a Waffenbrik Model Mauser Broomhandle with the buttstock in about 90% condition, and claims it is worth $2.5K.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.