Defensive Carry banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
My dad was a cop and when he got home the first thing he did was disarm himself and put his revolver up.
Before anything. Before hugs and kisses. Like clockwork. Never deviated.
He taught me the same way.
If you are going to be armed you HAVE to be better than the normal person.
You have to be perfect in your modus operandi.
The same way, everyday.
I have been carrying for decades and I never forget what is hanging off my right hip and what it can do if I am not vigilant at all times
People are aware that speeding or other reckless driving can get someone killed or injured but a significant number of people do risky things like that every day. There's also the issue of not having quick access to your firearm when someone breaks into your house if you lock it up. And how many are going to lock up their firearm when they take their kid to a playground or park (unless the jurisdiction that you live in requires it)?

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Not enough information other than its a Glock, it reportedly fell and went off striking both father and son. Glocks are tested for drop safety at 4ft minimum. They have several methods of protecting against going off accidentially (but we know how much that is worth with Glock-leg). Also, remember that Glocks, more than any other pistol in history, are a favorite for home gunsmithing and bubba-gunsmith work.

·
Registered
331 Posts
IMO, doubtful with its trigger "safety" and striker blocking pin, either with or without a holster. Unless the dad survives and can say otherwise--honestly--I suspect an attempt to catch it gone bad. Not enough info in the article to say one way or another.
I am betting on this one. Gun was coming out or falling, Dad reached for it or the child. Tragic either way. I highly doubt it was a design failure. Prayers for the family.

·
Premium Member
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
People are aware that speeding or other reckless driving can get someone killed or injured but a significant number of people do risky things like that every day. There's also the issue of not having quick access to your firearm when someone breaks into your house if you lock it up. And how many are going to lock up their firearm when they take their kid to a playground or park (unless the jurisdiction that you live in requires it)?
As i said, we who carry firearms need to be better than the average motorist.
Not sure where locking up your gun at a park/playground came from.
I am talking about disarming before rough housing with your kids in your own home.

·
Premium Member
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Maybe. But what's to stop some other accident from occurring during horseplay - possibly fatal?
Then i suggest that you do not play or horse around with your kid.
Way too dangerous. You should stick to watching cartoons with them.:)

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
I agree with those of you who have suggested that it was reckless of the man to horse around with the kid with a loaded gun in his holster. No prosecutor in the country is likely to press reckless homicide charges against the grieving father, but we might all be better off if once in a while a prosecutor did prosecute someone for reckless/dangerous/negligent actions taken by a firearm owner that results in injury to another - if just to remind us of how seriously we need to treat firearms. Every time a gun control type comes up with some firearm unique tort or crime to punish gun owners I always reflect on the fact that any of those owners could be charged or sued under general purpose statutes or causes of action, but we all know that few people (most of us included) are not likely to convict someone for homicide or even reckless injury when the father will grieve the rest of his life for his failure to take proper precautions

·
Registered
33,858 Posts
Also, remember that Glocks, more than any other pistol in history, are a favorite for home gunsmithing and bubba-gunsmith work.
Any other pistol in history? I wouldn't bet money on that. No sir.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Any other pistol in history? I wouldn't bet money on that. No sir.
How about if we qualify that as "in the modern era" so we rule out the flintlocks that were popular when you were young.

·
Registered
33,858 Posts
How about if we qualify that as "in the modern era" so we rule out the flintlocks that were popular when you were young.
I recall modifying a few slings in my days, but I suspect the ole 1911 has been gunsmithed and bubba'd far more than Glocks.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I find it odd this is in the off topic/humor section

The dad must live with this for the rest of his life. That's torture enough. I'm sure he will have a day in court but nothing that will compare to burying a child. Then there are a bunch of guys in an Internet making assumptions and not knowing all the facts yet we are perfect. We can sit here in retrospect and make judgement from an article. I don't trust the media on a daily basis to speak the truth. why is this different?
I can not imagine taking my pistol off and locking it up when I get home. 100% of home invasions happen in the home. The home is the one place that all of the people I love are most likely to spend their time. I want to be ready and willing to defend my home at all times. I do take precautions. My gun is secured in a pocket holster if pocket carried. If in the waistband its in a kydex holster with enough retention it will only cone off if intentional.

People are killed in swimming pools and we take precautions. People are killed in house fires and we take precautions. People are cut with broken glass in kitchens but we take precautions. Accidents happen.

·
Registered
967 Posts
That one person has to live with the truth no matter if another soul ever knows the truth. No jury can take away the hurt the pain and the guilt.

·
Premium Member
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I find it odd this is in the off topic/humor section

The dad must live with this for the rest of his life. That's torture enough. I'm sure he will have a day in court but nothing that will compare to burying a child. Then there are a bunch of guys in an Internet making assumptions and not knowing all the facts yet we are perfect. We can sit here in retrospect and make judgement from an article. I don't trust the media on a daily basis to speak the truth. why is this different?
I can not imagine taking my pistol off and locking it up when I get home. 100% of home invasions happen in the home. The home is the one place that all of the people I love are most likely to spend their time. I want to be ready and willing to defend my home at all times. I do take precautions. My gun is secured in a pocket holster if pocket carried. If in the waistband its in a kydex holster with enough retention it will only cone off if intentional.

People are killed in swimming pools and we take precautions. People are killed in house fires and we take precautions. People are cut with broken glass in kitchens but we take precautions. Accidents happen.
Yes accidents do happen, but play wrestling with your child while carrying is not an accident. It is stupidity.
I am not advocating you "lock up your gun" when you get home. My primary pistol is not locked up at home. But it is secured when there are children in my home.
I stated that my dad the cop put up his revolver when he came home, he did not lock it up, he just took it off before he started messing around with his kids.
I still think that was a smart move. He nor I have ever accidentally shot anyone.
You have to be better than the average bear when to take on the responsibility to carry a firearm

·
Registered
10,180 Posts
I'm not buying the dad's story - as reported - as unshakeable fact. Only one living person knows what really happened.
Apparently the bullet hit him in the head; it may be that no living person knows.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
"the Glock semi-automatic handgun fell and one shot was fired -- striking them both in the head."

So a drop safe Glock fired when dropped then the bullet went through the father's head and into the child's head killing him? Anyone else find that suspicious?

·
Registered
331 Posts
"the Glock semi-automatic handgun fell and one shot was fired -- striking them both in the head."

So a drop safe Glock fired when dropped then the bullet went through the father's head and into the child's head killing him? Anyone else find that suspicious?
Does it matter to an anti-gun nut anyway? If the gun did drop and fired by "accident" and killed the kid and wounded the dad, then the anti's will say guns are bad.

If they determine the dad did it on purpose in some sick murder/suicide..they will say guns are bad

If they determine that the kid grabbed the gun by accident and shot them both then guns are bad.

If they determine the gun was falling and the dad grabbed the gun and pulled the trigger by accident then guns are bad.

It will not change the narrative, just the headline of the argument.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I won't cast any stones on this one. Heartbreaking. If the father loved his son as much as I love mine then the rest of his days will be torture, but I am praying for Jesus to give him peace.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts