Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a (according to what the wholesaler, RSR, told a dealer) Japanese government overrun/reject/whatever S&W 37-2 from a local shop this a.m. After the Japanese didn't take them, RSR has been wholesaling them at loss-leader prices, and apparently my dealer got into one of them.

The new S&W 37-2 looks cute with my Ti Hideaway knife and my Surefire E2e

I paid the full sale price of $389 (they had marked it down from $459, which is still a good deal), which I figured that was a smoking good price for a brand new S&W J-frame (not the J-magnum-frame!) w/o the idiot lock or any MIM parts (even w/o the SA notch on the hammer). (Apparently the Japanese govt doesn't like MIM or the idiot locks any more than most of us do, although I admit I know so little about metallurgy that my prejudice against MIM is mainly just howling along with the rest of the gang of apes.)

There's been some fuss on the S&W Forum about whether these are +P safe or not. I figure I'd be fine using limited +P in mine - the same way I always used limited +P in my J-frames, regardless of when they were made. (Heck, if Elmer Keith could torch off some of the loads he reports in his 36 back in the '50s, and John Taffin as well in modern times, I'm fine with wussy factory +Ps.)

Anyway, the handloads that I carry in my Js are technically standard-pressure (at least acc. to the Speer Manual #12, but right at max). They'll throw the Rainier plated 148-gr WC at an average 896 fps out of the front of the 1 7/8" bbl that I tested them in (968 fps from the two 3"ers I tested). I'm not too worried about limited +P use, though, and actually plan to carry the more-anemic-than-expected 147-gr +P+ Federal HS load (897 fps out of my 3" guns; haven't tested it in the 1 7/8") in reserve (because the Hydra-Shoks are easier to feed quickly into the revo's chambers than my WC handloads).

My plated WC handloads are purty!

Amusingly, the S&W factory folk included a pair of idiot-lock keys with my no-idiot-lock 37-2. I deposited them in the same place as I did the fired cartridge case. :wink:

Oh! And I went by Sportsmans Warehouse and got some Hogue Bantam stocks for the thing, since I HATE the way those Uncle Mike's/Butler Creek things they put on them fit my hands and since the Hogue stocks are even LIGHTER than the UM/BC ones. The gun is light (it was 12.5 oz unloaded before I switched the grips), even when loaded.

Look, Ma! No idiot-lock!

·
Registered
950 Posts
Same little pistol I carry as a primary. I also don't have the lock and yes my pistol says +P so that's what I carry in it. I fire off a cylinder full when I go to the range. I figure if something happends to cause a problem SW will have to get me new one. Anyway I have had no problems. The little pistol is so versatile.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Erick - sweet! No lock - ain't that the best!

Very nice pics - and if I were there, I daresay I'd see you hopping up and down a bit - with glee :D

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, gents! I'm pretty happy, all right. :image035:

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
That's a real beauty! I went to the gunshow today and I saw abeautiful used H&K USP with the propietary H&K Gunlight attached with the offset remote switch under a Hogue "Hand-All" for about $695. Damn it was wonderful. Mine is brand new, I should pick it up in a couple of days. Anybody know anything about the H&K brand gunlights? Seems like those are the only ones that don't require an adaptor.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Oh wow...that's a nice little wheelgun....darn....right when I thought I was safe from getting a hankering for another gun I had to read this thread....

·
Registered
277 Posts
Um... sorry for being ignorant, but what locks are you talking about?

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
ibex - latest revo's from Smith have a wee lil' spider hole on left near cylinder release - in which you can put a small key and lock it - to prevent normal use.

It's for the kids ya know (and the whining anti's and blissninnies).!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Oh - my - goodness!

And people still buy those? When I buy my first gun some glorious day, I want exactly one hole in it. One hole is plenty.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Good looking piece What kind of ammo you got it Stoked with the one pic of the front of the cycliner the bullets look aweful flat and full cylinder

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
ibex said:
Oh - my - goodness!

And people still buy those? When I buy my first gun some glorious day, I want exactly one hole in it. One hole is plenty.
They don't have a choice. If Ruger doesn't make it, you're SOL. And I understand Ruger will have them pretty soon, but at least theirs will be concealed inside the grips.

I'm giddy about the thought of a Model 21. If I want one, I've got to live with the lock.

I actually wouldn't mind the locks so much if S&W had accepted Taurus' offer to use their more elegant design that isn't an eyesore.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Anyway, the handloads that I carry in my Js are technically standard-pressure (at least acc. to the Speer Manual #12, but right at max). They'll throw the Rainier plated 148-gr WC at an average 896 fps out of the front of the 1 7/8" bbl that I tested them in
Bud - quoting Erich - see my emphasis!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Both of my guns have "lawyer locks". I don't mind them, but I also don't use them. I like the idea that if I have to have them stored somewhere, or while transporting them through one of those liberal states, I'll have it locked tighter than a chastity belt, simply to appease the fuzz if they stop me.

All it takes is one "Barney Fife" to accuse you of some stupid made up gun offense, and your CWL is GONE!!

No offense to any LEOs. I have the deepest respect for you guys and the job you do, but you all know guys like the ones I'm talking about. They'll write up a nun.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Congrat's Erich. Looks like a real winner and at a great price. Enjoy it. You can't go wrong with a piece like that.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I picked up one of those as soon as my dealer could get them. I'm rather fond of mine. The email I got from S&W was that the guns are +P rated, but nobody else seems to agree. It doesn't matter to me. I'm going to use standard pressure for practice and +P for carry with just enough +P fired to check POI. Recoil and POI is generally pretty close between standard and +P for standard pressure practice to not be a factor.

The only thing I don't like about mine is that POI with 158gr loads (+P or not) is 5-6" high at 10yds. Standard pressure 110s are dead on to a hair low at 10yds. I'm hoping (fingers crossed) that some of the current middleweight +P loads (125 and 135gr) are within an inch of POA. Windage is dead on.

Chris

·
Super Moderator
22,003 Posts
Nice find Erich, dandy little snub. :image035:

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
mtnbkr said:
I picked up one of those as soon as my dealer could get them. I'm rather fond of mine. The email I got from S&W was that the guns are +P rated, but nobody else seems to agree. It doesn't matter to me. I'm going to use standard pressure for practice and +P for carry with just enough +P fired to check POI. Recoil and POI is generally pretty close between standard and +P for standard pressure practice to not be a factor.

Chris
I think S&W has basically said that any model with a number designation can be considered to be +P rated. The old, old models that just had names and not numbers have to be checked out by the factory.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts