Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was working a repossession case in va while working the case the lady came out at which time i had identified my self. she jumped into the driver seat and threw the vehicle into reverse and proceed to drive into myself, after she hit me the lady had shifted the car into drive and bumped the curb went around 2 vehicles and back into the parking lot and drove out into the street. at which time my partner called the local pd and informed them what had happened, also we had informed dispatch that we was behind the vehicle which she was driveing thru 3 different jurisdictions. she pulled into a parking lot of a gas station at which time she got out of the vehicle and was talking to my partner who did not have any luck she jumped back into her car while i was attempting to remove her plates hopeing that it would slow her down when she shifted the car into drive and hit me again at which time i drew my weapon and told her not to move until the police get there. when the local pd arrived on the location they told me to re holster my weapon and take the vehicle. my question is does that lady have the right to file charges even through the police did not file any charges. being she hit me with her vehicle.

as it stands the subject filed a brandish a firearm charge which i think she got no right to do so under the situation.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I'm not a lawyer, but I'm sure she can CLAIM you assaulted her with a tuna sandwich if she chooses. Proving it in court is another matter.
Get a good attorney and counter-sue her worthless butt!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think it woud depend upon your state's laws. In OH you have a duty to retreat unless the Castle rule applies, and in your situation, it does not. It may be up to your local prosecutor to decide if he/she wants to file charges. This thread should generate some good discussion.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
You should file charges against her for assault with a deadly weapon (her car).

·
Registered
866 Posts
She has every right to file. Several things could happen. One is you could be arrested. Others include the DA filing charges, it getting dismissed by the DA or the judge or worse. Witnesses will play a role here. You did not state whether the female filed the charges while the police were on the scene or after. If she files with the LEOs on the scene - and you did not get arrested - I would say odds are on your side. But with out knowing much more detail - it is all speculation.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
VA statute on brandishing
Virginia Code 18.2-282 - Pointing, holding, or brandishing firearm, air or gas operated weapon or object similar in appearan... - Virginia Virginia Code 18.2-282 - Pointing, holding, or brandishing firearm, air or gas operated weapon or object si

VA case law on brandishing
Virginia Case Law on Firearms and the Use of Deadly Force

Past DC.com thread on brandishing in VA
http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbull...scussions/47557-virginia-law-brandishing.html

Bottom Line:
I am not an attorney. Seek one and retain him/her, tomorrow.
Beyond that though to my mind what is key here is that she struck you with the vehicle. That in itself is assault.
She assaulted you twice while in the commission of theft as you were acting as a recovery agent.
You may not use deadly force to recover property in VA but you may do so as defense of yourself or another against assault of a manner that can/would result in significant injury/wounding or death. Recall this as from the mandatory CHP course you took in VA in order to secure a carry permit.

Key is to document the fact that she hit you with the car, willingly and with intent.
I hope you stated all of this to the responding LEO AND that he/she documented same. In hind sight it would have been to your advantage to have requested medical attention on sight to further document her having hit you.
Have your partner document all that he saw as well, and he too may need an attorney.

This may be thrown out by the judge. It may not.
Either way you are now caught up in some, stuff. :|

- Janq

·
Registered
199 Posts
Based on what you said, you could have shot her after she hit you with the car. She was assaulting you with a deadly weapon. Obviously you didn't fear too much for your own life or you would have shot her, but you have a pretty good defense, as long as all this information was reported to the police at the time.

Good luck. Charges can be filed by anyone for anything. Wether or not they stick is another thing.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Immediately file charges against her for the assault with her vehicle.Since she chose to file charges you should also. One reason is that it will help your brandishing case if it goes to court and second... you at least have a bargaining chip to maybe to get her to drop charges against you.

And on another note...I do think the fact that you pursued her and then continued the confrontation might weigh against you in court. I'm no expert but I don't think repo agents are allowed to chase down and cause huge confrontations. Your not the police and the fact that you were chasing her and such could be turned into her defending herself against two repo agents who went way above their call of duty. So if I was you I would probably get a lawyer if you haven't already.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Was it noted in police report that she assualted you with vehicle? Why wasn't she arrested for assualt? I hope it wasn't because you wanted to be a nice guy and not press charges. When someone behaves as she did I would assume that she was not the type person to return you act of kindness. I would suspect that she is the revenge and get her way at all cost type person.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Individuals cannot "press charges". Unlike what is depicted on tv/movies, criminal charges are pursued by the prosecutor on behalf of the state, not on behalf of an individual.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Individuals cannot "press charges". Unlike what is depicted on tv/movies, criminal charges are pursued by the prosecutor on behalf of the state, not on behalf of an individual.

umm you can go to the magistrate and get a warrant here in GA even if your not a cop etc.....

·
Registered
315 Posts

:confused:

:confused:

·
Registered
756 Posts
Yep. Individuals can report a crime, but that is simply a request for the police to investigate. Ultimately the decision whether or not to charge an individual with a crime is in the hands of the prosecutor, and nobody else.

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Maybe you committed a crime

Virginia is a bit different from Texas. If memory serves me correctly, any resident can go down to the local courthouse, fill out an affidavid of assualt on any individual, and a warrant for arrest will be served.

A lot of things are going on here, and as someone else mentioned, the police report could weigh heavily. I'm not a lawyer, but given this is the Commonwealth, I would tend to think that you were not justified and a charge of brandishing could be sustained. This is why I think this is possible...

The incident at the gas station was not a continuance of the first incident in which you were struck by the vehicle and female operator. A reasonable argument can be made she was attempting to flee/get away from a threat. Yes, you were doing your job, but the argument can be made.

Now, having fled, you choose to persue. The second incident in which you were stuck by the vehicle and female operator is likely viewed as a seperate incident, not a continuance of the first incident, as I mentioned before. Although you were doing your job, when presented with a threat, you choose to not retreat, but to draw your weapon, even though you had the option to flee, as well as a duty to retreat. Mixed into this is the goal of repossessing the vehicle, if I understand correctly. Repossession is not grounds for lethal force. Getting property back is not grounds for lethal force.

Again, I am not a lawyer, but I would think in the Commonwealth, a DA or the female operator could make a good argument that you threatened her. What is legal, and what is the right outcome are not always the same thing in Virginia. This is all based on the incident occuring in Virginia.

We have many lawyers on the board, and no doubt they will make arguments for and against.

The only advice I would give is to consult with a lawyer (paid advice) and stop talking about the incident, and stop posting about it until it is resolved.

·
Registered
756 Posts
umm you can go to the magistrate and get a warrant here in GA even if your not a cop etc.....
Virginia is a bit different from Texas. If memory serves me correctly, any resident can go down to the local courthouse, fill out an affidavid of assualt on any individual, and a warrant for arrest will be served.
An arrest warrant is NOT the same as a formal criminal charge, IE information/indictment.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yep. Individuals can report a crime, but that is simply a request for the police to investigate. Ultimately the decision whether or not to charge an individual with a crime is in the hands of the prosecutor, and nobody else.

Than why have I heard so many times from the police..."We can't arrest them unless YOU are willing to press charges"

·
Registered
756 Posts
Than why have I heard so many times from the police..."We can't arrest them unless YOU are willing to press charges"
You're watching too much "Law & Order".

1 - 20 of 97 Posts