Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have a real part and a hypothetical part to my story.

I was driving today, in a not so nice part of town, on a 3 lane, one way road in an urban area. I saw about 5 black males, looked to be teenagers, in a front yard of a house. Mind you, these are not large yards. One of them was holding what appeared to be an AR-15, at hip level sweeping the streets and his cohorts with it. He was not firing, obviously (or I would not be writing this), but there was a magazine that looked like a 9mm magazine. :aargh4:

I was driving by, so obviously I wasn't around long enough to get more than a glimpse. But I still called 911 and reported someone was brandishing an AR-15 looking rifle on their front yard. Gave them description of the person, location, etc. Open carrying a loaded rifle is not legal in my city, and the kid clearly meant to look like he was shooting people.

Now on to the hypothetical part. Say I was walking down the street rather than driving (note, I would not actually walk down the street in this neighborhood). As I'm passing in front of the house, I see the kid with the rifle. You're in the middle of the block so you can run, but there isn't any cover close. What do you do?

I really have no idea what I would have done. In my mind I think I would have drawn and given verbal commands to drop his weapon, but then again he is on personal property. However, I for sure would have felt that my life was in danger.

·
Registered
289 Posts
If he already has the muzzle pointed at you with the intention to shoot, a verbal command and a drawn weapon is inviting trouble IMO. Not sure what I'd do in a situation like that other than to un-ass the area and find cover as soon as possible. Obviously the best solution is to never go on foot into a neighborhood like that if you can help it (I lived in Newport News, so know the situation in places there) and maintain your spidey sense on high if you have to.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Was it an airsoft gun? Lots of teenagers love their airsoft guns.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was it an airsoft gun? Lots of teenagers love their airsoft guns.
I definitely thought of that. My little brother (14) has an arsenal of airsoft weaponry more impressive than a SEAL team, and they look just as real. I did not see an orange tip on the gun he was holding, but then again many airsoft guns don't have them. Even if it was airsoft, it still is just not a good idea to wave it around in an urban area. I think a "that's a really bad idea" lecture from a cop is still warranted. If you want to play airsoft, do it in your back yard, not on a city street.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Toying around in a back yard or "safe" zone (ie, the "back 40" property) is one thing. Carousing on the front lawn aiming at others in realistic fashion, particularly with a public street and passing vehicles/pedestrians, though? Bad choices.

I'd do much the same as you: that sort of thing is worthy of a call to police to investigate, IMO. Non-emerg line, if not clearly threatening others. Have only been in a similar situation once, but it was a gaggle of late teen males with one waving around a pistol at passing cars on a busy (but small) street.

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
Toying around in a back yard or "safe" zone (ie, the "back 40" property) is one thing. Carousing on the front lawn aiming at others in realistic fashion, particularly with a public street and passing vehicles/pedestrians, though? Bad choices.

I'd do much the same as you: that sort of thing is worthy of a call to police to investigate, IMO. Non-emerg line, if not clearly threatening others. Have only been in a similar situation once, but it was a gaggle of late teen males with one waving around a pistol at passing cars on a busy (but small) street.
Non-emergency? Underage, illegal possession, brandishing, no telling what the intent is. Ability, opportunity, jeopardy
definitely present.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Non-emergency? Underage, illegal possession, brandishing, not telling what the intent is. Ability, opportunity, jeopardy
definitely present.
In the OP's situation, if clearly "only" waving it around at each other in the gaggle on the front lawn, that's one thing. Though, the moment it's witnessed "reaching out" to include passing vehicles or pedestrians? Absolutely.

And, as for unlawful possession: that's only if it's actually a firearm, instead of the very common Airsoft stuff out there. Have seen AS stuff toyed with by folks in yards before. Can be hard to identify as different, if at a glance when zipping by in a car.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After a little more thought, and a conversation with a military family member, we came up with a more reasonable approach to the hypothetical scenario. In this case, as soon as you saw the rifle (or whatever), high tail it out of the situation. Don't draw, give verbal commands, or do anything to draw attention to yourself. However, if shots are fired toward the street or my direction, running to cover isn't the best option so we would return fire.

·
Registered
988 Posts
So, we've gone from brandishing an AR-15 to well, maybe it was an airsoft?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, we've gone from brandishing an AR-15 to well, maybe it was an airsoft?
As I said, there was no orange tip to indicate airsoft. But it's not out of the question. For all intents and purposes, it looked like a real firearm for the 5 seconds I saw it. I'll never know if it was real or not.

·
Registered
988 Posts
As I said, there was no orange tip to indicate airsoft. But it's not out of the question. For all intents and purposes, it looked like a real firearm for the 5 seconds I saw it. I'll never know if it was real or not.
Just trying to keep up and follow the thread, considering the only reason I opened it was because of the thread title. Carry on...

·
Premium Member
10,172 Posts
Let's see...

While driving down the road you notice the following:
You saw 5 males who were possibly teenagers.
You mention the color of their skin is "black" (not sure why you include this detail in your story as it is not relevant).
You see that the males are standing on private property in the small front yard of a home.
You notice that one of the males is holding a "rifle" which might be an Airsoft or might be an actual firearm.
You did not observe any shots being fired.
You see the male holding the object you identify as a "rifle" pointing the "rifle" at various objects and the other 4 males.
You do not mention any details about how the 4 males reacted when the "rifle" was pointed at them (perhaps they didn't react because they knew there was no reason to react to what the other male was doing because they knew what he was doing posed no danger to them).
You mention you identified an object as being a magazine...specifically a 9mm magazine yet you give no other details...is it loaded with ammo? Is someone loading it into a gun or holding it or something else? How did you determine the caliber while driving by?
While driving by you admit you weren't around long enough to get more than a glimpse of all this.
You mention that "open carrying a loaded rifle is not legal" in your area.
You do not know if the rifle is loaded or even if it is an actual firearm or just an Airsoft.
You also do not mention if it is legal in your area to openly display a rifle while standing on private property (this is what you witnessed if it was a firearm and not an Airsoft).

I don't see where the emergency is that warrants calling 911.

As you mentioned, the homes in the neighborhood you were driving through do not have large yards. Did it even dawn on you that the kids in these neighborhoods might actually use their small front yards for playing and hanging out? Playing/hanging out in your yard or your friend's yard is not just reserved for the wealthy with large backyards.

Reactions: blitzburgh

·
Registered
148 Posts
I guess with your hypothetical scenario I'd keep walking the way I was walking and mind my own business; if I was really curious I would shout out to the kid, "Hey! Is that thing real?" If he points it at me then I'd find cover and call the cops...I've walked the streets of the crime areas of Norfolk and most of the people there wouldn't have enough $ to own a real AR15...

What part of Norfolk? I was a FedEx courier all over Norfolk for 5 years...there are definitely some parts of town that I wouldn't purposely go after dark, but I had nothing to fear as a FedEx guy...lots of people wanted their free phones from Obama!

The only bad situation I had in Norfolk was walking back to my truck and there was a kid inside my cab trying to steal a clipboard--I shouted at him and he ran off...walking through some project-like apartments though off of Tidewater and Princess Anne I found a .357 casing in the cracks of the sidewalk and decided then that I wanted a CCW permit to protect myself and my family.

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
Let's see...

While driving down the road you notice the following:
You saw 5 males who were possibly teenagers.
You mention the color of their skin is "black" (not sure why you include this detail in your story as it is not relevant).
You see that the males are standing on private property in the small front yard of a home.
You notice that one of the males is holding a "rifle" which might be an Airsoft or might be an actual firearm.
You did not observe any shots being fired.
You see the male holding the object you identify as a "rifle" pointing the "rifle" at various objects and the other 4 males.
You do not mention any details about how the 4 males reacted when the "rifle" was pointed at them (perhaps they didn't react because they knew there was no reason to react to what the other male was doing because they knew what he was doing posed no danger to them).
You mention you identified an object as being a magazine...specifically a 9mm magazine yet you give no other details...is it loaded with ammo? Is someone loading it into a gun or holding it or something else? How did you determine the caliber while driving by?
While driving by you admit you weren't around long enough to get more than a glimpse of all this.
You mention that "open carrying a loaded rifle is not legal" in your area.
You do not know if the rifle is loaded or even if it is an actual firearm or just an Airsoft.
You also do not mention if it is legal in your area to openly display a rifle while standing on private property (this is what you witnessed if it was a firearm and not an Airsoft).

I don't see where the emergency is that warrants calling 911.

As you mentioned, the homes in the neighborhood you were driving through do not have large yards. Did it even dawn on you that the kids in these neighborhoods might actually use their small front yards for playing and hanging out? Playing/hanging out in your yard or your friend's yard is not just reserved for the wealthy with large backyards.
re- Part in Bold: The careless handling, pointing at the others even in jest, is an emergency. If the gun is real, there is
a significant danger of someone being killed, even if not deliberately so. I call that an emergency.

In my car, I'd do what the OP did, keep driving and maybe use the cell phone for 911. On foot, I'd be out of there
for sure. I don't want to find out its real by being hit.

I do agree with the guy who commented that in these areas most of the folks can't afford a real one; except--- dealers can.

Reactions: ws76133

·
Premium Member
10,172 Posts
re- Part in Bold: The careless handling, pointing at the others even in jest, is an emergency. If the gun is real, there is
a significant danger of someone being killed, even if not deliberately so. I call that an emergency.

In my car, I'd do what the OP did, keep driving and maybe use the cell phone for 911. On foot, I'd be out of there
for sure. I don't want to find out its real by being hit.

I do agree with the guy who commented that in these areas most of the folks can't afford a real one; except--- dealers can.
The OP stated what he saw during the "5 seconds" he was driving by and "wasn't around long enough to get more than a glimpse" and he made a bunch of assumptions about what he thinks he saw.

Assumptions:
Loaded Firearm
Illegal activity
Not playing

The OP stated, "and the kid clearly meant to look like he was shooting people". Kids play make believe all the time...cops & robbers...cowboys & indians...Army...or whatever they are calling it these days. Look at all of the kids that have been in the news lately because they got in trouble for their make believe shootings and speaking the word "gun" and Pop Tarts bitten into a misshaped mountain that vaguely resembles the shape of a gun and all the other idiotic "zero tolerance" BS.

The OP also stated, "Even if it was airsoft, it still is just not a good idea to wave it around in an urban area. I think a 'that's a really bad idea' lecture from a cop is still warranted. If you want to play airsoft, do it in your back yard, not on a city street." So he thinks even if the kids are playing make believe in their front yard on private property (not "on the city street"), the cops should be called in to lecture the children about what "a really bad idea" guns are...scare them into an irrational fear of guns...this is typical anti gun indoctrination tactics.

There is no crime here other than the OP calling 911 because he believes the kids should get a "lecture from a cop" on how it is "a really bad idea" to have make believe guns and real guns in the hands of the peasants.

And the only emergency here is that we need to put an immediate end to the anti gun indoctrination of our children.

·
Banned
12,068 Posts
I've seen plenty of videos of kids with Airsoft guns getting in trouble with them with cops. I've seen/read of a few kids/idiots with Airsoft guns getting shot/killed by cops when the Airsofter was stupid one time too many.

My first thought besides HOLY CRAP would be to dial 911. One problem with that. No cell phone.

I've seen plenty ot 9mm AR's. It's a straight stick mag of 25-30R. It's not something new.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
A lot of kids (including friends of my son), paint or remove the orange tips. Other times, I've seen tips break.

I've told them modifying or removing the orange tips is illegal and can be extremely dangerous should a passing LEO or armed citizen be fooled into thinking their AS were real. (One of my son's friends has a metal 1911 AS and an AR-AS. BOTH feel & look like the real thing; even up close!)

I also make it clear that AS should be restricted to safe areas away from public. I also make my son case his AS-AR and SGs while going down the street to his friends.

-

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have to show this to my stepson he thinks I am nuts for not letting him shoot in our front yaard with very long drive. He has to shoot it in the back. They look so real he even has one that is a sig replica and from 10 feet that thing looks real. I am just not comforatable with him anywhere but the back yad at all

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
I have an observation: What appeared to be threatening actions to an observer that does not live on the street may be totally different than the observations from people that LIVE on the street. Are these folks out there all the time playing like that? The people who reside on the street would know if the were real guns or not.

I have neighbors kids in NH who run around playing airsoft all day long. I know they are not a danger to anyone because I know what happens in my town. To an observer driving by it might look different.

Just saying....we remminisse about the "good ole' days" when boys can be boys. Now, we have folks advocating calling 911 for what might just be boys being boys. Or thugs being thugs....no difference though as long as they are not pointing the "guns" at passer'sby which it appears they were not.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts