Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Phx Az, A buddy of mine is facing serious time:aargh4: because he punched someone repeatedly trying to hurt him with brass knuckles now he's facing 5 years, while I on the other hand stabed someone:image035: when 2 guys tried to shake me down:rant: in a dark crowded parking lot. 2 guys approached me I sensed something was wrong and I un - hooked my very sharp generic gravity knife that I purchased at the local truck stop and sliced the closest guy to me twice:congrats:. They both ran, I reported it and got in no trouble at all. My friend who used the brass knuckels didn't kill anyone and he was defending himself also but he is facing time.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
In Texas both weapons are illegal and both would be trouble.

I do not know what would be the punishment for using these weapons in a real self defense event.

IMO, sounds to me as tho both you and your friend need to change where you go, and who you hang out with.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Brass knucles are not legal in Mississippi. Most states (local ordinances) have more knife laws than gun laws. Check out HandgunUS knife link.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
If you are inclined to do so, post the places where these occurred so I can make sure I don't go anywhere close to there.

Regards,
Jerry

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since you're being clever, my friend was in a night club parking lot and I was getting off work at my part - time job at the time which was in a Greyhound racing track parking lot. Both incidents happened at 2 in the morning.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I'd be interested to know any state that brass knuckles are legal.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd be interested to know any state that brass knuckles are legal.
I never said it was legal to have "BK" I was only trying to point out that the law allows me to stab someone in self defense but not allow someone to use "BK':nutkick:.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I never said it was legal to have "BK" I was only trying to point out that the law allows me to stab someone in self defense but not allow someone to use "BK':nutkick:.
And I was pointing out that Knuck's are illegal, and perhaps you should choose better friends. :twak:

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
I live in Phx Az, A buddy of mine is facing serious time:aargh4: because he punched someone repeatedly trying to hurt him with brass knuckles now he's facing 5 years, while I on the other hand stabed someone:image035: when 2 guys tried to shake me down:rant: in a dark crowded parking lot. 2 guys approached me I sensed something was wrong and I un - hooked my very sharp generic gravity knife that I purchased at the local truck stop and sliced the closest guy to me twice:congrats:. They both ran, I reported it and got in no trouble at all. My friend who used the brass knuckels didn't kill anyone and he was defending himself also but he is facing time.
It pays to know the law. Your friend made a very poor decision to carry an unlawful weapon, and that decision has consequences.

Sucks to be him, but it's his fault.

Matt

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
Some states issue concealed weapons permits instead of handgun permits.
I don't know, but I suspect that even in such states that issue CWP, e.g., Florida, brass knuckles are illegal; and the type of knife you described may well be illegal too.

What I don't understand is why you two would carry illegal weapons when in AZ you could easily OC? Were you both too young to OC at the time this happened? Couldn't afford guns? Was OC not practical or legal for the circumstances?

Most folks go a lifetime without ever getting into a fight where weapons are involved. Are you sure both of you weren't looking for trouble to find you?

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Interesting, in VA possession of brass knuckles is a Class 4 Misdemeanor but concealing them is a Class 1 Misdemeanor.

Of course using a banned item in a fight doesn't look good no matter how righteous you are.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some states issue concealed weapons permits instead of handgun permits.
I don't know, but I suspect that even in such states that issue CWP, e.g., Florida, brass knuckles are illegal; and the type of knife you described may well be illegal too.

What I don't understand is why you two would carry illegal weapons when in AZ you could easily OC? Were you both too young to OC at the time this happened? Couldn't afford guns? Was OC not practical or legal for the circumstances?

Most folks go a lifetime without ever getting into a fight where weapons are involved. Are you sure both of you weren't looking for trouble to find you?
I can only speak for myself and as I said before I was getting off work where no guns are allowed. I was cornered between 2 trucks and my car the only thing I had 2 use was the knife that I carry. Even if I had my gun I don't thing I could have pulled it out fast enough, You think you can [believe me I practice] but when a situation arises the BG's don't always annouce themselves and before you know it they're very very close to you.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Given that we don't know the exact circumstances of each of your confrontations, it's impossible for us to give you an informed opinion. I would guess that someone who carries brass knuckles will be assumed to be looking for trouble. Again, it is an uninformed wild guess since I don't know the circumstances or laws where the events occured.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My whole point for posting this was not to debate if BKs are illegal, if certain knives are legal, or what type of person you must be. I was only thinking out loud and saying to myself wow you can cut or shoot someone in SD but not punch them with BKs.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
My whole point for posting this was not to debate if BKs are illegal, if certain knives are legal, or what type of person you must be. I was only thinking out loud and saying to myself wow you can cut or shoot someone in SD but not punch them with BKs.
And I think, you got the reply's your original post deserved.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Using brass knuckles in a one on one fight seems a bit over kill and probably not justifiable. In California just possession of this weapon is a felony and using it in a fight is assault with a deadly weapon. I bet they charged your buddy with ADW that is why he got 5 years…..using a weapon such as brass knuckles has to be justified and in your friend’s case it probably was not the case…in your incident fighting more than one opponent can be considered a life and death situation therefore you were justified in using the knife if you had to.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK

I think you made some great points that I have'nt thought of, great way to get your point across without passing judgement.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Kansas KSA 21-4201

21-4201. Criminal use of weapons. (a) Criminal use of weapons is knowingly:

(1) Selling, manufacturing, purchasing, possessing or carrying any bludgeon, sandclub, metal knuckles or throwing star, or any knife, commonly referred to as a switch-blade, which has a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife, or any knife having a blade that opens or falls or is ejected into position by the force of gravity or by an outward, downward or centrifugal thrust or movement;

(2) carrying concealed on one's person, or possessing with intent to use the same unlawfully against another, a dagger, dirk, billy, blackjack, slungshot, dangerous knife, straight-edged razor, stiletto or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument of like character, except that an ordinary pocket knife with no blade more than four inches in length shall not be construed to be a dangerous knife, or a dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument;

Statutes

Basic weapons law is 21-4201, concealed weapons law is 75-7c, use of force is 21-3211,2112,3213.

You can have a Ninja sword on your desk as a letter opener and slice a burglars head off with it, but you can't carry a straight razor unless you are a barber. :rolleyes:
The point is somethings are illegal in themselves [often silly reason, like a KungFu movie scared a legislator, so a butterfly knife is illegal] [clack, clack:aargh4:]

No your state;s law and where you travel.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
FL's CCW permit allows quite a few items, but brass knuckles are still a :nono::wave:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts