Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes when shooting the brass gets lost in the gravel or thrown out to the grass area around where I shoot. Since I shoot on my own land, I was thinking of building some sort of containment screen to catch the brass. I have used a metal detector recently and that works too but can take some time searching around. Just wondering how other reloaders retrieve as much brass as possible, or is lost brass just part of the cost of reloading.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I saw a guy several years ago, who was a target shooter and shot a 1911 or a revolver every time I saw him at the range. Obviously the revolver is no problem keeping your brass in one spot, but he used a interesting but kind of odd looking thing to catch his brass from the 1911

He had a net, like you'd use to retrieve fish, but it had very small holes in it. The opening was I'd say 12"x24", and he had it on a weighted base so it wouldn't fall over. He'd set it on the table and position it so it caught nearly all the brass he shot.

It was on what looked like and extending painting pole so the height was adjustable.

Only problem was if you didn't stand in the same spot each time, or were shooting at different targets that varied your stance, it obviously wouldn't catch anything.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I saw a guy several years ago, who was a target shooter and shot a 1911 or a revolver every time I saw him at the range. Obviously the revolver is no problem keeping your brass in one spot, but he used a interesting but kind of odd looking thing to catch his brass from the 1911

He had a net, like you'd use to retrieve fish, but it had very small holes in it. The opening was I'd say 12"x24", and he had it on a weighted base so it wouldn't fall over. He'd set it on the table and position it so it caught nearly all the brass he shot.

It was on what looked like and extending painting pole so the height was adjustable.

Only problem was if you didn't stand in the same spot each time, or were shooting at different targets that varied your stance, it obviously wouldn't catch anything.
Those net devices seem to work fine if you just stand in one small spot. Once you incorporate movement into your shooting drills they don't seem like they would work. Was thinking of using some sort of netting that could be drawn across the ejection side of the range. I have ideas but not sure how to put them into practical application :smile:

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
I just keep searching each time I shoot, private range here too. Also it helps to have a almost OCD lady around . All I do is mention I may have missed some brass and she is out there looking. :wink:

Reactions: Bandit99

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I just stand by the bed of my truck and let it catch the brass.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I graveled my pistol range, so I get most of it back. I do a lot of movement/drills so shooting pistols into a fixed brass catcher/tarp just won't work. When I do find myself running short, I invite a bunch of the guys from work out for a shoot. The majority don't reload, simple rule at my place, "IF your brass hits my ground and it isn't marked, it's mine".

My bench sits on a concrete slab, when shooting semi's I either use a brass catcher (AR and FAL) or I string a tarp up on a couple electric fence poles that directs the brass back onto the concrete. I left the wood form up, so the slab has a lip to keep the brass from rolling off.

Most of the time when shoot longer range (I can go out to 800) it's not an issue because we use bolt guns, on the rare occasion we'll shoot semis, we use the same tarp/pole setup. It's really a non-issue as the majority of shots are from the prone.

Chuck

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I just keep searching each time I shoot, private range here too. Also it helps to have a almost OCD lady around . All I do is mention I may have missed some brass and she is out there looking. :wink:
This.
And I say that I can find more than she can. She take that as a challenge.
We also now use a large plastic tote that we set on the ground about where the empties are landing. We actually have quite a few land in it, over 50%.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
631 Posts
There's a spot not far from town where everyone shoots. In the spring time they shut down the road so vehicles wont mess it up. Last year I walked up there when the snow melt and filled 3 bags full of casings. I will probably do it again this year.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
I lose a lot of brass when girls wear low cut tops. They can sling that hot brass so far you ain't never finding it.

Reactions: Bandit99

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So far i would say the metal detector is my best option, at least until I can come up with some other method. Its the best for locating brass fired from movement. I have a few neighbors that shoot on their land but don't reload so they let me sweep their shooting areas. A recent visit to their land gave me over 300 rounds of assorted brass. I just use a cheap metal detector from HF. Works great, don't need anything expensive because the brass is all sitting right on top of the ground or slightly pushed into the ground.

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
Should be easy; doesn't it all collect at the bottom? :danceban:
Yup, I like to collect it before it turns tarnished when possible though. Also the snow blower occasionally finds them as well. It tends to mangle them up or seriously dent them if I do find them after that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts