Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BCM 16 M4 Carbine MOD 2 at G and R Tactical

VS.

PSA 16" M4 Premium Patrol Carbine Package - Palmetto State Armory - Rifles - Firearms

Looking at these two rifles the specs seem to be identical only difference I see is the type of steel used in the barrel.com

If I am reading all this right I can get the gun with the same specs for $700 vs $1400

Only extra cost I would have with the PSA is a free float handguard and buis.

Any one that can conform its almost the same rifle besides name please chime in.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,431 Posts
Both are great AR's! I was told that PSA uses military contract FN barrels that were meant for full auto use. Coincidently FN has a plant in Columbia SC ,which is where PSA is located. I have not heard anything but positive feedback on the PSA, which is gaining popularity in the law enforcement community. I predict that their prices will increase dramatically in coming years due to them currently being very modestly priced for what you get.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have any links or facts to prove that. I heard that as well but never found a reliable source proving they do use FN barrels.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,715 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Do you have any links or facts to prove that. I heard that as well but never found a reliable source proving they do use FN barrels.
Thanks
My PSA has the "FN" logo stamped on the barrel.

Proof enough for me.

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
In reading posts from those that seem to be "in the know", PSA is probably the best value/bang for your buck; however, you gets what you pay for with BCM, Noveske, LMT, and DD (apologies if I've left anyone out)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Love my PSA mid-length. Great rifle. I was about to get a BCM upper for my Mega lower but I bought a complete PSA rifle for the same money as just the BCM upper without a BCG and hand guard. I'll still build the Mega and it'll be sweet but my PSA shoots as well as any of my other rifles and cost less than $700.

I've seen Internet reviews of poor quality control lately at PSA but all of the first hand feedback from the owners i know is positive. That's not to say the Internet stories are lies though. I'm sure there are people out there who have had legitimate problems with their PSA rifles. But i've seen people have problems with LMT's and Noveskes also.

The stories you read about terrible customer communication and lousy shipping experiences at PSA are absolutely true though. I hear they're attempting to increase their staff to account for it but if possible, go to the store to get your rifle. They've got monkeys running their shipping department and good luck getting someone to return your call or email.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In reading posts from those that seem to be "in the know", PSA is probably the best value/bang for your buck; however, you gets what you pay for with BCM, Noveske, LMT, and DD (apologies if I've left anyone out)

I do really like the BCM but specs to specs the rifles seem to be almost identical what makes the BCM twice the price

BCM specs
BCMGUNFIGHTER™ Mod 4 Charging Handle
Tactical Handguard
Folding Rear Iron Sight
Carbine Length Gas System
M4 Feed Ramp Barrel Extension
M4 Feed Ramp Flat Top Receiver
T-Marked Upper Receivers
USGI 5.56mm NATO Chambers
Independently Certified Mil-Spec 11595E Barrel Steel
Chrome Lined Bore and Chamber
Manganese Phosphate Barrel Finish on entire barrel
Mil-Spec F-Marked Forged Front Sights
Taper Pinned Front Sight Base
USGI Government Profile Barrels
HPT (High Pressure Test, per Milspec) Barrels
MPI (Magnetic Particle Inspected, per Milspec) Barrels
Bolt machined from Mil-Spec Carpenter No. 158® steel
HPT Bolt (High Pressure Tested/ Proof)
MPI Bolt (Magnetic Particle Inspected)
Shot Peened Bolt
Chrome Lined Carrier (AUTO)
Chrome Lined Gas Key
Gas Key Hardened to USGI Specifications
Grade 8 Hardened Fasteners Key
Staked Per Mil-Spec
Tool Steel Extractor
BCM® Extractor Spring
Black Extractor Insert
Receivers Machined from Aluminum Forgings 7075-T6
Receivers Hardcoat Anodize per MIL-A-8625F, Type III, Class 2
BCM® Milspec 7075-T6 Receiver Extension
USGI Mold M4 Stock Staked M4 Lock Nut
USGI H Buffer (1 USGI Tungsten, 2 Steel)
Magpul MOE Enhanced Trigger Guard
Low Shelf for RDIAS installation
Low Shelf for Accuwedge use
Un-notched Hammer compatible with 9mm use
Fire Controls marked SAFE and SEMI

PSA
•CMV 4150 steel constructed & chrome-lined barrel features M4 profile & black matte phosphate finish
•Dust cover
•Brass deflector
•Forward assist
•Carbine-length gas port
•1:7 RH twist
•7075-T6 aluminum M4 flat-top Mil-Spec upper is hard coat anodized black & equipped w/extended feed ramps, engraved T-marks, standard M4 handguard w/double heat shield, & forged F-marked front sight post & A2 flash hider
•7075-T6 aluminum forged lower is black hardcoat anodized & features standard PSA fire control group w/combat trigger, A2-style grip & aluminum trigger guard
•Mil-Spec carpenter 158 steel constructed bolt (Shot-peened, MPI, HPT) is chrome-lined & features parkeriz" "0136579

·
Registered
176 Posts
I do really like the BCM but specs to specs the rifles seem to be almost identical what makes the BCM twice the price

You're paying for top of the line QC, components, and extremely responsive and helpful customer support.

You aren't going to get canted sights, uneven/poor finish or awful tool marks/stake jobs that were performed by a drunk with Parkinson's, and BCM hasn't been caught lying about selling substandard parts (see: MIM gas key fiasco).

As to whether that boost in quality is worth the price, that is entirely up to you. For me, it's like debating Kel Tec/Taurus/Hi Point vs S&W/Glock/Springfield.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Hey easy on the Kel Tec....my Sub2000 is the only firearm I have with plastic bolted together with screws and nuts. :)

On the other hand my psa upper (dec) and bolt (June) have preformed great in my AA lower with a PSA LPK. Now I've ordered several things from PSA and it's been 50/50 on shipping times IMHO, but the quality of the items I've received has been top notch. I wish I'd pulled the trigger on a 300 upper when they were still 425 bucks. Time will tell if the upper is quality or not, initial quality so far is Fordlike, will it turn into dodgelike quality over the next few thousand rounds or not.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You're paying for top of the line QC, components, and extremely responsive and helpful customer support.

You aren't going to get canted sights, uneven/poor finish or awful tool marks/stake jobs that were performed by a drunk with Parkinson's, and BCM hasn't been caught lying about selling substandard parts (see: MIM gas key fiasco).

As to whether that boost in quality is worth the price, that is entirely up to you. For me, it's like debating Kel Tec/Taurus/Hi Point vs S&W/Glock/Springfield.
so are you saying PSA compared to BCM is just about the same as Hi point vs Glock?
Do you think thats a over estimate or no.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I think the PSA would make a great first AR. I would recommend going with the midlength vs carbine length gas system though.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I think the PSA would make a great first AR. I would recommend going with the midlength vs carbine length gas system though.
I would agree!

Also gives you more money for a good sling, Magpul magazines, a WML and plenty of ammo to ring it out.

If you like high quality and refined things like Allen-Edmond shoes, Rolex watches, Granite countertops, Wüsthof steak knives, STIHL chainsaws, ExOfficio boxer shorts, etc........................... then you would really enjoy the BCM too.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think I have made my decesion.
BCM Recce14 - Gun Gallery Jacksonville

With this I have a full flat top rail to mount flip up BUIS vs a normal front sight that is permanet so to speak.

Onl thing else I will do is a sling, red dot, flip to side maganifer/scope, and a vertical foregrip with pressure switch and tac light.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts