Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(CNN) -- Two large explosions rocked an area near the finish line of the Boston Marathon on Monday, injuring at least six people and spewing wreckage in its wake.
Smoke billowed into the air at Copley Square, turning a site of celebration into a mess of destruction.
Crowds had gathered in the area to watch the runners.
At least four people were being treated at Massachusetts General Hospital.
It was not immediately clear what caused the blasts. Authorities rushed to assist the injured and close off the scene.
Out of an abundance of caution, the Lenox Hotel was evacuated, the Boston Globe reported, as authorities looked into possible security concerns.

Explosions rock Boston Marathon; several injured - CNN.com

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
So, maybe the Legislature should outlaw the use of bombs.

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
I hate to say it but this is beginning to look more and more like an act of domestic terrorism.

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
It could be either. With some of the reports it was fairly well planned, so could be a foreign group.
I would agree, but I also think that for a foreign group to risk such a venture the devastation would have been far greater and with more significance. I will not discount any theory, but the main threats in recent years ( IE: Al-Qaeda) generally choose a target of significance and try to inflicy maximum casualties, IE Big bombs. In Iraq I saw IED's level entire buildings. Thats not meant to downplay the severity, but the small explosionsindicates could indicate a lack of acces to powerful explosives, meaning homemade devices were used. Also, their was no real point that I see to detonate an explosive so far into the race...which leads me to assume that if it is domestic terrorism these were devices on a timer. I am by no means a conspiracy theorist or an expert, just my thoughts on the situation.

l

·
Registered
748 Posts
I would agree, but I also think that for a foreign group to risk such a venture the devastation would have been far greater and with more significance. I will not discount any theory, but the main threats in recent years ( IE: Al quidea?SP?) generally choose a target of significance and try to inflicy maximum casualties, IE Big bombs. In Iraq I saw IED's level entire buildings. Thats not meant to downplay the severity, but the small explosionsindicates could indicate a lack of acces to powerful explosives, meaning homemade devices were used. Also, their was no real point that I see to detonate an explosive so far into the race...which leads me to assume that if it is domestic terrorism these were devices on a timer. I am by no means a conspiracy theorist or an expert, just my thoughts on the situation.

l
You have much more experience than I do. But my thoughts are two-fold. First, to detonate that far in, actually causes more chaos because there's more people milling around. Second, you have people who have finished the race and people who are cheering others for finishing. It's a happy place that is blown up. I'd think the psychological issue there would be much greater than if it were to happen in the beginning of the race.On top of that, you're more likely to get regular Americans at this point, rather than the international athletes and international press that are there to cover their people.

As far as being on a timer, another bomb was detonated (controlled) at the Fairmont Copley hotel, and another at the JFK library. Both of those, I believe, are a decent distance from the race. That sounds like it's a lot more about psychological warfare.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I was born in Chicago an I was drafted at 18 never went back. I just dont see the appeal in living in these cities your just a walking target or every nut-job out there.

·
Super Moderator
50,609 Posts
I guess the 'gun grabbers' can't use this news...I'm sure they will try to figure an angle.

Sad news though, can't even run a race and be safe.
I've added the victims and their families to my DC list.
Time to start building a gallows in each city.OMOYMV

Reactions: mano3 and Patti

·
Premium Member
3,841 Posts
I used to live in Boston and I know a lot of people who run the marathon every year. Prayers out to all affected!

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
I know someone who competes in that race and would have likely been milling around the finish line area at about that time. Haven't heard whether he was near there, yet.

Could easily have been a far, far larger explosion if only the explosives were better. Sounds like a homemade deal, that small.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I can't even comment on this topic....it's senseless...and the news circus drums on and on...worried about "what to freakin call it" everyone knows it was an act of terrorism...I pray for the one's lost and the one's whose limbs were blown off their bodies.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
I can't even comment on this topic....it's senseless...and the news circus drums on and on...worried about "what to freakin call it" everyone knows it was an act of terrorism.
It is pretty pathetic. "News" journalism at its irrelevant best.

·
Super Moderator
18,159 Posts
CBS is now calling it an act of terrorism.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I am a member of a military forum whose members come from the Army's SF community. Their speculation, from seeing the photos of the blast was that plain gun-powder was the explosive, rather than military grade HE. The speculation was domestic terrorism. I would not be surprised if the government next came after bulk gun powder purchases........

1 - 20 of 91 Posts