Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously you bring your CC handgun (and probably BUG too) on vacation with you. Assuming that the states you travel to allow it, of course.

Should you bring your rifle with you on vacation? I don't normally have my rifle setup for HD, but more of a SHTF kind of thing. I guess you can't choose the time and place for when SHTF, so I'm leaning towards taking my rifle on vacation with me.

·
Registered
587 Posts
If you're worried about really serious collapse, there are probably more important things to bring along than a rifle. Realistically, fire extinguishers probably save more civilian lives than rifles. They just aren't nearly as exciting. In all seriousness, if you're that concerned: bring a reasonably well stocked bugout bag, drive a reliable vehicle to where you're going, and be able to be self-sufficient long enough to get home. (extra cash, fuel, usable spare tire, ability to fix basic car problems, emergency food and water, sleeping bag, etc.)

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Ehhh...while I realize that bad stuff can happen at any time, if Im that worried about it and feel the need (outside of the "vacation" being a hunting trip or something) to take a rifle on vacation....well more then likely I'd just stay home.

Vacations are supposed to be a time to relax and if you can't do that then why go.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
I say, if it feels right do it. If you can sport the rifle and it wont interfere with your ability to enjoy your vacation, what's the problem. Being prepared isnt the same thing as being paranoid and forget the comments from folks that say otherwise. Paranoia will keep you up at night wondering about the unexpected. Preparedness will allow you to sleep soundly and without fear. All you gotta figure out is, how do you sleep at night? JSGOTI

:022: GBK

·
Registered
158 Posts
Every year for the past three years I've rented a cabin in the northwestern lower peninsula of Michigan. The first two years I took along a Ruger GP100 357 Magnum. This year, after researching the subject online, it appeared to me that a non-resident of Michigan cannot take a handgun into Michigan without a CCW permit from a state sharing reciprocity with Michigan.

Because this cabin is very isolated there was no way that I was staying there without some form of protection so I took my Ruger Mini-14 along and, although I didn't need it at any time, it was a comfort having it with me.

Since then, I've obtained my CCW in my resident state of Ohio so next year I'll be travelling to the cabin with a handgun...legally. But I'll probably still carry my Mini-14 along for the ride.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Typically, if I'm going out of state or away from home for more than a day, I'll toss a cased rifle in the back of my SUV...I rarely think about it, and I've never needed it, but its nice to know that if I did, its there.

Frankly, I don't usually even take a "mean" black rifle either, I greatly prefer a Marlin 1894 in .44, more in case I unexpectedly get invited hunting or target shooting where I'm going than anything else.

Plus, if my house is broken into while I'm gone, I know I'll have at least one long gun until I get my insurance to buy new ones.

Have fun and know what the laws are where you are going.

·
Registered
205 Posts
In PA we can NOT transport a loaded rifle or shotgun. Just warning you if you come up to PA and I'm sure other states are the same too.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
If making a trip to Alaska from CONUS a long gun (shotgun for me) is the only thing that makes sense to me.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
If it makes you comfortable, and you have the space to fit it, do it. Normally I take extra ammo and some support stuff (like spare parts and a tool / cleaning kit) on road trips. I'll take my Glock and keep a spare 50 round MTM box and 3 spare magazines (Glock 19) with me. I keep the whole setup in a small range bag kind of pistol case. The SHTF thing might be a good reason to use a carbine in a compatable caliber. Like a Glock and a Kel Tec 200 or a Marlin Camp Carbine with a 1911 or S&W. Marlin Lever action with a revolver in the same caliber makes as much snse today as it did in the 1800s.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I just toss a sks,bandolier of ammo and my bug out bag in the trunk because in this day and age you never know what or where something is going to happen.Then I go ahead and enjoy my vacation,but I know its there if I ever need it. sj

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I usually do carry a rifle. Not because of SHTF but because ya never know when a range trip will present itself. Most places I go the possibility of a fun shoot day is a good possibility.

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
On my most recent vacation, in November, I took the AR and left the shotgun at home.

I like to take a longarm with me, but you do have to take into consideration how you are going to secure the firearm.

Biker

·
Registered
809 Posts
:rolleyes:
Unless you are going on a hunting vacation, leave the rifle at home. You won't enjoy your vacation because you will be worried about the rifle left in your vehicle or hotel room. If you feel you need a rifle, you shouldn't be going there.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Since 911 and Katrina I prepared a WSHTF kit that is good for 3 months of time to support my family. A RRA .223 is part of a portion of that kit whenever I am traveling along with my old trusty 870 and plenty of ammo properly stored. I'd recommend you carry your rifle legally with plenty of ammo and a traveling survival kit

When I was on active duty in the US Coast Guard and traveling across this country from Florida to Alaska with my wife and 2 daughters 6 times I always had my shotgun with me as you cannot transport a handgun through Canada to get on the ALCAN. We always camped along the way so already had a good survival kit with us.

Call me paranoid but I call it being prepared. A review of Katrina is proof positive the government cannot provide for you and yours. You never know when the next national emergency is going to hit. The extremists are plotting at this very minute to wreck havoc among us. A few tactical or dirty nukes going off in a few strategic cities will be enough to shut us down for a period of time.

Here is an excellent site for preparedness. It is not a Survivalist site and Mr. Ritter is a premeire authority on survival. I personally worked with him on a few occasions and the man knows his business.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst!

Doug Ritter offers unique survival equipment, survival education and consulting

JMO

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
My F350 is a 4X4 and I have a slide-in camper that the wife and I like to take out west (family in Wyoming) and wonder around in BLM and National Forest lands trying our best to stay off paved roads.

The usual accompaniment is; Para P-14 .45, Glock 20 10mm and Grendal P-10 .380 (me) her S&W 642 CT 38 plus a shorty AR-15, Rem 1100 12 ga riot gun, M1-A and the Rem 700 BDL in 22-250 for a little "dog" shooting if available.

Family and a National Forest employee have warned us about meth cookers in the public lands and some campers that have been harassed and a couple of murders and I like to have the proper tool for the job at hand.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Since 911 and Katrina I prepared a WSHTF kit that is good for 3 months of time to support my family. A RRA .223 is part of a portion of that kit whenever I am traveling along with my old trusty 870 and plenty of ammo properly stored. I'd recommend you carry your rifle legally with plenty of ammo and a traveling survival kit

When I was on active duty in the US Coast Guard and traveling across this country from Florida to Alaska with my wife and 2 daughters 6 times I always had my shotgun with me as you cannot transport a handgun through Canada to get on the ALCAN. We always camped along the way so already had a good survival kit with us.

Call me paranoid but I call it being prepared. A review of Katrina is proof positive the government cannot provide for you and yours. You never know when the next national emergency is going to hit. The extremists are plotting at this very minute to wreck havoc among us. A few tactical or dirty nukes going off in a few strategic cities will be enough to shut us down for a period of time.

Here is an excellent site for preparedness. It is not a Survivalist site and Mr. Ritter is a premeire authority on survival. I personally worked with him on a few occasions and the man knows his business.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst!

Doug Ritter offers unique survival equipment, survival education and consulting

JMO
Hello fellow Coastie (retired in 1998 fm CG HQ)! As for the discussion, couldn't agree more ... absolute necessity to be prepared. While events like Katrina provide ample warning (and therefore time to G.O.O.D some events don't don't - earthquakes, tornados, manmade disasters, etc.).

I never leave home without my G30 and/or G19 or my wife's Ruger LCP and extra ammo. While I never thought about taking my shotgun or AR-15 all the points made in this thread are valid:

1) best to be prepared
2) doesn't hurt to have the added protection - being on vacation doesn't guarantee nothing bad will happen; BGs still victimize and disasterds can happen anywhere
3) an opportiunity to visit a new range, and meet new people (maybe even compete in a shoot)

I'll probably re-evaluate my packing next time - ditch the golf clubs and pack the AR-15!

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I sometimes take my Winchester .44mag lever gun when we go on vacation. It fits nicely in the SUV, with a box of ammo in the rifle case, it's not in the way. Otherwise I always take my G19 & G26, extra mags and ammo and we're good to go. It should get us through most situations...

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
Ehhh...while I realize that bad stuff can happen at any time, if Im that worried about it and feel the need (outside of the "vacation" being a hunting trip or something) to take a rifle on vacation....well more then likely I'd just stay home.

Vacations are supposed to be a time to relax and if you can't do that then why go.

^^^^YEP^^^^^
Kinda what I was thinking

Going to Detroit are you?
Can't we all just get along???^^^^^^^JK

To come here you, at the very least need,

a) Armored car.
b)back-up
c)angels to go before you

"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
Reichsmarschall Hermann Goering

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
My F350 is a 4X4 and I have a slide-in camper that the wife and I like to take out west (family in Wyoming) and wonder around in BLM and National Forest lands trying our best to stay off paved roads.

The usual accompaniment is; Para P-14 .45, Glock 20 10mm and Grendal P-10 .380 (me) her S&W 642 CT 38 plus a shorty AR-15, Rem 1100 12 ga riot gun, M1-A and the Rem 700 BDL in 22-250 for a little "dog" shooting if available.

Family and a National Forest employee have warned us about meth cookers in the public lands and some campers that have been harassed and a couple of murders and I like to have the proper tool for the job at hand.

Whew!!^^^^^^^
Your better off coming to Detroit, You can at least travel a bit lighter!!!

"The good man has both right and need for arms; no law would dissuade the invader and the plunderer from having them. Since some will not, others dare not lay arms aside. Horrid mischief will ensue if the law-abiding are deprived of the use of arms. The weak will become a prey to the strong."
Thomas Paine

1 - 20 of 48 Posts