Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The end of Feb. flying to Cancun/Cozumel area for a week. Bring the Freeze+P or leave it home?? I know that my CZ would land me in a Mexican jail, but what about my spray? Anybody with experience out there.. I'm bring a small Gerber folder and my 6P Surefire. Your opinions/thoughts. I really don't what to learn to say "Bubba" in spanish.:aargh4:

·
Banned
46 Posts
http://www.packing.org/state/all_of_mexico/#statedeadlyforce_law

This page states that bringing one solitary round of ammo into Mexico nets you a five year mexican jailhouse nickname (Looks like Bubba is already taken, sorry). I know you're talking about pepper spray and not firearms or ammo- but considering this I'd make sure you get your knowledge of Mexican law in this area from a VERY credible source.

I would call the airline, and whatever they tell you- verify it somewhere else. Be careful, brother!

·
Banned
151 Posts
You really have to be careful in Mexico if anything happens even if it's not you'r fault if you are not Mexican you are going to have problems.

If their nasty food and water don't make you sick even maybe kill you as it has many others. You always have a chance of being robbed and beaten to a pulp. Don't think any Mexican or Mexican Cop will try to help you they won't do a thing seeing you'r not Mexican.

If you get arrested in Mexico you are in for a lot of trouble and it will cost you plenty to get free.

There is no way I would every travel into Mexico for any cheap vacation. IMHO Mexico sucks.

·
Banned
46 Posts
I think this may be incorrect, HotGuns. Perhaps you're speaking of on your person, I would hope everyone realizes they can't enter the gates with pepper spray in your pocket! That being said, it appears the 4oz of pepper spray is permitted on an airline, in your carry on. I didn't see a revision date, so this is not advice, only to say that a document exists that appears to allow pepper spray in carry on. You'll need to investigate further yourself- but it looks okay on the USA side. Don't forget you need to check with Mexico.

I quote the following from tsa.gov. Remember, things change- this was a four second google search. I don't know if this info is current. Be safe!

"Mace/Pepper Spray
One 118 ml or 4 Fl. oz. container of mace or pepper spray is permitted in
checked baggage provided it is equipped with a safety mechanism to
prevent accidental discharge. For more information on these and other
hazardous materials, visit http://asi.faa.gov/Passenger.asp"

http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/Permitted_Prohibited_5_16_2005_v3.pdf

edit- come on now. he's not looking for travel destination advice- LOL! just realize what they say is pretty much true. hopefully you are traveling to a safe area of Mexico- STAY OUT OF TIJUANA!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I live on the Border and have travelled far into Mexico a great many times. If you can get your piece into the country, but wind up having to use it and are caught, you're in a world of hurt. If you get in any kind of trouble, which can be defined as attracting the attention of the police (you don't have to be doing anything wrong. They just want your money) or other criminals (they are abundant), you're in a world of hurt. Mexico does suck, especially with a drug war going on that rivals those that have happened in Columbia.

If you feel you may need to defend yourself there, go somewhere else. Otherwise, don't pack anything and stay in well lit and well crowded areas.

Mexico is beautiful, but very dangerous.

PS
Never go to Mexico City.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pepper spray MUST BE IN CHECKED baggage. Up to 4oz or 118ml in a container that has a locking device. I printed out the TSA "prohibitted" list, under martial arts stuff it oks the 4oz., but at the end of the list it shows Mace as being a "NO NO". ??? I'm more worried about our southern "friends", that the TSA. I'd keep a copy of THEIR list (with the spray) and if a problem I'd tell them, they can have it.... Sorry but I'm locked into going, the wife made the arangements (it's our 25th).:image035: GEEE wiz, how do all those TV secret agents do all that border hopping?:duh:

·
Administrator
144,132 Posts
Mexico

"The end of Feb. flying to Cancun/Cozumel"

There are thousands of Americans who travel to Cancun every year & they somehow manage to have a great time & arrive back home safe & sound.

Have a nice trip.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
HotGuns said:
Airlines wont let you fly with ANY pepper spray and will confinscate it.
Not so, you would be surprised as to what you can bring in check baggage. A couple post's above explains pepper spray but, checked guns and ammo are allowed with most airlines.

The only one I know you can't fly and check these items is USA 3000.

Ti.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
CraigJS said:
The end of Feb. flying to Cancun/Cozumel area for a week.
Stay on your toes down there...I understand that some dangerous characters are lurking about...

:knockedout: :knockedout: :knockedout: :knockedout: :knockedout:

·
Administrator
144,132 Posts
Team American !!!!

Holy Crap!!...Where is the damn OC Spray???....Ahhhhhhhh...Get Away! haha...GET AWAY!....What are you trying to do to me...??? Coerce me into buying you a Tequila Sunrise???
Leave Me Alone! Get Your Hands OFF ME GIRL! :rofl:

Team American said:
Stay on your toes down there...I understand that some dangerous characters are lurking about...

:knockedout: :knockedout: :knockedout: :knockedout: :knockedout:

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
If you pack OC spray or mace, your stand a good chance of facing not only criminal charges but civil fines as well. Id skip OC on any airline flight. Check with the TSA before you do, but until you have it in writing (ie an email) from the TSA I wouldnt do it.

·
Super Moderator
18,144 Posts
PseudoFinn...

That being said, it appears the 4oz of pepper spray is permitted on an airline, in your carry on. I didn't see a revision date, so this is not advice, only to say that a document exists that appears to allow pepper spray in carry on.
"Checked baggage" and "carry on" baggage are two different things.

It may be possible to bring guns,ammo,knives and pepperspray in "checked baggage" where you cant access it, but NO WAY are you going to be able to carry it on the plane as it is considered a non lethal weapon.

That was revised as a result of 9/11.

Also...many countries dont allow their citizens to carry any form of it.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I stand corrected. I just accessed the Prohibited Items list of the TSA for air travel, and it specifically says, "Mace/Pepper SprayOne 118 ml or 4 Fl. oz. container of mace or pepper spray is permitted in checked baggage provided it is equipped with a safety mechanism to prevent accidental discharge. For more information visit www.faa.gov, click on Passengers, then Preparing to Fly."
This is for checked luggage but prohibited in carry on.

·
Banned
46 Posts
HotGuns. I was really confused there for a second when I saw you were trying to tell me the difference between carry on and check-in baggage. THen, oops. I was reread my post- I say carry on I think three times!:redface:

Of course, I ment check in- I was passing along that info to him because I thought you had told him that he can't bring the spray- check in or not. My appologies for the confusion. I must have sounded like an idiot saying that you can bring it in your carry on. I would sure hope no one would attempt to carry spray onto a plane. At anyrate, you can check your spray- and even your firearm and ammo, however it appears that there are severe penalties for bringing even one round of ammo into Mexico.

I'm gonna go hide under a rock now. :redface:

·
Super Moderator
18,144 Posts
No need to hide under a rock Psuedo...:gah:

We're all here to learn.:image035:

Just remember...
Some countrys have very restrictive laws on what they let their citizens/subjects carry around. Just because it may be legal here,means absolutley nothing when you are on their turf. Mexico has some pretty serious laws when it comes to anything that can be used as a weapon. The irony of it is that what may be
"overlooked" by the local police for a citizen is usally a certain jail term for a foreigner.At the very least, it would cost lots of money to the right people to get out of it...

·
Registered
988 Posts
Unless you can find specific information about the laws in Mexico concerning carrying OC, I would leave it at home. You don't want to get stuck down there for anything illegal! Just make sure when you go that you are more vigilent of your surroundings. Just take the "condition code" slightly up a notch and you'll be ok. The best way to avoid the problem is to no be there in the first place!:danceban:

Have fun on vaca!

·
Banned
46 Posts
HotGuns said:
No need to hide under a rock Psuedo...:gah:

We're all here to learn.:image035:

Just remember...
Some countrys have very restrictive laws on what they let their citizens/subjects carry around. Just because it may be legal here,means absolutley nothing when you are on their turf. Mexico has some pretty serious laws when it comes to anything that can be used as a weapon.

No, no.. that's what I was saying. I posted a link that states if you bring one round of ammo into Mexico, you can be imprisoned.

"At anyrate, you can check your spray- and even your firearm and ammo, however it appears that there are severe penalties for bringing even one round of ammo into Mexico."

And thanks for not banishing me to my rock! I really don't mean to beat up on you in the other forum. Just want to debate issues with you guys. I'm new to the gun community and I want to explore these topics. Don't hate me! :wave:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts